Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I have a slower mobile broadband so I was wondering if I would be able to pause the download of Lion and then resume it hours or a day later and not lose what has already been downloaded? The reason I am concerned about this is because I think it would take me about 3 days of non stop downloading. I would because of weather/storm conditions force me to shut down the computer during the download to protect the computer from lightning strikes in the area. So will I be able to pick up from where I left off when I turn the computer back on? I haven't read anything about doing this.
Thanks for a reply if anyone knows for sure if it's possible to do what I want. 

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have a slower mobile broadband so I was wondering if I would be able to pause the download of Lion and then resume it hours or a day later and not lose what has already been downloaded? The reason I am concerned about this is because I think it would take me about 3 days of non stop downloading. I would because of weather/storm conditions force me to shut down the computer during the download to protect the computer from lightning strikes in the area. So will I be able to pick up from where I left off when I turn the computer back on? I haven't read anything about doing this.
Thanks for a reply if anyone knows for sure if it's possible to do what I want. 

It works like any application distributed through the App store. Pause is possible.
That being said, make sure to pause it before shutting down. There were reports of problems when testers just shutdown before first pausing the download.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Hi, thanks for the reply. I certainly hope that it will work that way because a continuous 3 day or so download would be almost impossible and would almost tie up my computer for that whole time.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I recommend you find time to do a complete continuous download. I started downloading, paused, and then came back it to download it completely. It finished download flawlessly but half way through the install process I got an error. So I had to do it all together.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I have a slower mobile broadband

You might be pleased to learn that you'll be able to go into an Apple Store and download Lion to your machine using their network. Perfect for those with crappy connections :) Hope you live near one!

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

brijazz said:
I have a slower mobile broadband

You might be pleased to learn that you'll be able to go into an Apple Store and download Lion to your machine using their network. Perfect for those with crappy connections :) Hope you live near one!

I read that as well and laughed. The stock photo they ran with the story was an iMac :)

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I plan on just having it download while I am sleeping. It shouldn't take more than a few hours (3-4 hours) to download.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I recommend you find time to do a complete continuous download. I started downloading, paused, and then came back it to download it completely. It finished download flawlessly but half way through the install process I got an error. So I had to do it all together.
I can confirm this too. Be warned that when you download Lion builds via App Store and have to pause and resume, it gives you installation errors when installing. It turns out that pausing/resuming large downloads in the App Store somehow corrupts the file, even though the download completes successfully.

Now with Software Update.app, it's different: you can pause and resume and install the software problem- and error-free. It handles partial files correctly. Why can't App Store too? :mad:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I read that as well and laughed. The stock photo they ran with the story was an iMac :)

Just download it there on one of their computers, onto a USB drive. You don't have to bring your computer!

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
thats a bit of a worry if pausing the download doesn't work properly

it will take me 2 nights to download Lion, cannot download during daytime as it would take even longer and ISP would not be happy with such a big download in peak hours

no Apple store close by so looks like I will have to stick with SL for a while longer

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I expect that today's 10.6.8 update will include fixes to the Mac App Store so an interrupted download will continue properly, as otherwise even broadband users aren't necessarily going to get Lion in one sitting.

One thing I'm interested in though is; how easy to transfer is it? I'd rather download it once for all my machines than have to download three times as the Apple guide implies, is the installer just a single file like you'd expect?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
One thing I'm interested in though is; how easy to transfer is it? I'd rather download it once for all my machines than have to download three times as the Apple guide implies, is the installer just a single file like you'd expect?

It's just an app in /Applications and copies to other machines just fine. (Yes, I've done it.) If the release is the same as the developer preview, all the app does is mount an run an enclosed disk image that has the actual installer. You can also extract and burn the disk image. Instructions are floating around the net and mentioned elsewhere on this site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.