Will RAM Upgrade Void Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sailorbear, Feb 4, 2008.

1. sailorbear macrumors newbie

Will buying the Crucial 4GB and having it installed void the warranty from Apple? I am going to buy AppleCare on mine, but I want to make sure that it won't void any warranty with Apple (including AppleCare).

2. enochpeng macrumors regular

I don't think so since my roommate added RAM himself and got his MBP repaired by Apple...

3. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

Since how to upgrade your RAM is illustrated in so many places like the printed and electronic documents that come with the Mac and on the Apple website, I am quite certain that it won't void the warranty.

On the Macbook, swapping the HD is OK as well.
    Not on the pro though, since you have to open the case.

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

No it will not. Unless you break something while installing. The chances of that are very very slim.

5. sailorbear thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure. $129 from Crucial is a heck of a deal compared to the $500 from Apple.

6. pur3h8r3d macrumors member

pur3h8r3d

7. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

I too am thinking about upgrading my RAM. I do not own the MBP yet, but I will be buying it for college. My dad was asking me about grounding myself before I make the switch so that I don't fry my laptop with a static shock. I have not yet read about this, and I have not noticed anything special in the video tutorials I have watched. Is a static shock a problem in laptops? What can I do to get around it, and prevent myself from creating a $2500 aluminum paperweight?

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Don't roll around on the carpet before installing the RAM?

Honestly, it's a snap to install. Make sure your unit is unplugged from the wall, and if you want to discharge an static electricity, touch something made of metal before opening the battery compartment. Don't move around a whole lot during the install, and you'll be fine.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you tend to get small electric shocks all the time (can happen depending on what shoes you're wearing, what environment you're in and so on) change your shoes and do the upgrade somewhere where this doesn't happen. Normally all I do is touch something connected to ground, like a radiator, before I start work, just to be safe.

The one thing you should be aware of when changing RAM on a MacBook: The RAM has to be pushed in _all the way_. If you press very hard, then it will be _almost_ in, but there are still two millimetres to go. Have a look how far in the old chips are before you remove them, that's how far the new ones need to go in. If the chips are not completely in, it will be difficult to get the L-shaped frame back in, and the computer won't work when you try to start it - it doesn't damage anything, just open the MacBook up again, press the chips in _harder_ until they go in a little bit further (it can hurt your fingers).

10. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

With regard to static - its not usually an issue providing you don't wear a lot of nylon and jog up and down the stairs. You can go crazy and buy an anti-static wrist band and hook it up to earth, but theres not really any point. Flip your MBP over pop out the battery and touch some exposed metal. That should dissipate any static charge you have on you.

As gnasher mentions you do have to shove the ram pretty hard. Make sure its at an angle (I think its like 25º or something). Here's a couple of videos to help dispel the myth that its a difficult thing to do.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qozs6KZoarA
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFPEZGuK2U

Have fun and get a cold beer or juice ready to celebrate when you finish!

11. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Yea my dad was telling me when he last upgraded RAM (on a Gateway 2000 running Windows 95, in 2006) he had to ground himself using telephone wire and weird stuff like that. I didn't think it would be a problem. Basic high school physics says that if I touch something metal than I will discharge myself and I'll be okay. That combined with unplugging the laptop, and I think I would be fine.

It never hurts to ask though.

I have read countless times that you always need to push in the RAM harder than you think. I don't want to break anything, but I am told that if won't properly close, you did it wrong. I think I will just look at the original RAM carefully (maybe take a picture ore two) and just use common sense.

First off, I love how you also have been viewing the UK Youtube. What happened with them? I liked using American English, and I got Japanese the other day!
    Second, Juice? Who says I can't have a beer. Of course, I won't be bring liquids near my new laptop.

Okay. This post is too long. Thanks for the info, and if the MBPs get updated in the next twenty minutes, I think I am buying one tomorrow. Peace Out!

Mitch -- swmr

12. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Well I didn't want to exclude any recovering alchoholics, minors, or t-totalers in the celebrations!

13. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

no i have done it loads of times with different laptops. They only asked me to take it out before repairing it!