Will replacing HD void warranty+grounding?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rekhyt, May 15, 2009.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm going to replace my MacBook HD using the instructions found at iFixit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Hard-Drive-Replacement/514/1

Will doing this void my warranty? (I have 3 years of Apple Care for my MacBook.)

Also how do I ground myself to stop myself from electrocuting the HD/other internal components? (I don't have any of those wrist straps and I can't get any right now. :( )

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It won't void the warranty on the computer unless you break something in the installation process. Also don't expect Apple to replace the upgraded drive if it should fail/crash down the line since its not the one that was originally in the system.

As far as grounding yourself is concerned, just make sure you touch something metal before working inside the casing. Avoid nonconductors like styrofoam, synthetic fibers like polyester. As you can see from the installation guide, you aren't really going to have much of any contact with the integrated circuits on the logic board so grounding yourself is not a huge concern for your particular operation.

3. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep ok allright. :)

Any idea on how I should ground myself when replacing the HD? (I don't have any access to the grounding bands right now.)

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Touch metal thats grounded to the floor like a outside pole. Or anything that allows you to discharge yourself.

Normally, I don't do any of that cause I dont have carpet in the house.

5. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm... I don't really have an outside pole. Would anything else work? Screwdriver, ...

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Just keep your hands clear of any contacts/pins. You can handle the outside of any connectors though. Handling the enclosure of a HDD is not a big deal. I can't remember how many drives I've swapped with no problem.

7. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, thanks! How long do you have to touch the metal to "fully ground yourself"?

(I plan on grounding on a metal towel holder connected to the wall.)

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

not long. The time it takes for any accumulated charge to discharge is short.

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Touch some metal that is grounded. This could be a computer case that is plugged in as it is grounded in the outlet. Once you open your computer if you are standing on carpet, DON'T move your feet as this could cause static.

10. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Well... My floor's wood. And my DELL desktop's basically made out of plastic. Could it be the metal area where there are holes for ventilation for the DELL desktop?

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Yes you could use that as your computer inside the plastic is made from metal.

12. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

So I would just touch that and then replace the HD, or do I have to touch it while replacing it?

13. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

You don't have to keep touching it but it is always a good idea to retouch every once in a while.

14. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Metal handle on an oven/cooking hob? metal sink? radiator? you will have something!

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I think you're overthinking it. The risk of a static discharge destroying your computer if rare unless you have a lot of static charge built up in your body. Since you have the white MacBook, you can touch the metal part under the touchpad to discharge yourself as per Apple's instructions.

16. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Well yeah. I'm kinda overthinking it. Ok, yep, I think I have something metal near in the room.

... I don't think I have access to the trackpad while replacing. (Where are the instructions for that?)

17. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I believe Macbooks are regarded as user upgradeable by Apple.

18. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

19. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

20. PKGuy323 macrumors newbie

As a word to the wise, there is a ribbon-film data connector (from HD to computer board) that is adhesived on top of the HD. When I tried to replace my HD with a 500GB one in my MBP, that ribbon literally fell apart.

Trip to Apple and a most gracious warranty repair and directed to take it to an authorized service center to swap out the hard drive to keep it under warranty....since Apple won't install 3rd party hardware.

21. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

PKGuy-I don't really know how it looks like. Is there a link to an image that I could refer to? Thanks!

22. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

While replacing the HD won't void the warranty per se, it would raise doubts in the eyes of an Apple repair guy if you have a different problem with it. If that does occur, to remove doubt (and a bit of esplainin' to do) put the old drive back in before turning it over.

Speaking from experience here...

23. macgrl macrumors 65816

This is the best thing that you can do. :)

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Metal radiators work fine. Pipe works. Metal water tap.

And you may have noticed sometimes that when you wear the wrong shoes in the wrong place with the wrong weather, you sometimes get tiny electric shocks. If that happens, that's the wrong place to open your Mac.

25. HBOC macrumors 68020

i think he is talking about the non UNi's.

I need to get a straight answer from apple. People on here are saying apple told them it will void the warranty on JUST the hard drive, and i am getting told from several genius's from several apple stores that it WILL void the warranty. I would like a larger hard drive for sure, as my 250GB is down to about 60GB...

we should start a poll to what every one is told. So next time we each are in an apple store, we ask this question. This is driving me crazy. Now dont get me wrong, i LOVE taking stuff apart and seeing how it is put together, but it isnt worth costing me a warranty on a $2500 computer, ya know?