Will resetting my airport express kick unauthorized users off my secured network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ayee007, Oct 21, 2010.

1. ayee007 macrumors member

I'm having trouble getting rid of unauthorized computers off my network. It has been password protected since the day I moved in and I cant figure out how these people are able to crack in. Any help provided would be appreciated.

2. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

How have you determined that others are connected to your network?

3. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

when i open up my finder, i can see their computer name under "shared." any advice?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

5. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

not sure but I don't think that means they're on our network

6. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

First you should make sure that outside machines are actually connected to your network. You can use the Airport Utility to view a list of current and previous wireless clients.

If they are in fact using your network, you have a few options available like using a more advanced encryption and MAC address filters.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It does.

8. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

can u show me how to find a list of computers that have been on my network? how do i bump up my security?

9. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

no im using a wpa/wpa2 personal. should i switch to a wep? what is the difference in a nutshell?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, you should not switch to WEP, it's the old one and is very easy to break.

In AirPort Utility, go to Base Station > Logs and Statistics to see connected devices.

11. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

If you're already using WPA/WPA2, don't change it. WEP is an older encryption method that should only be used as a last resort.

To see which clients are currently logged on to your device, go to the Airport Utility application, select your Airport Express in the left column, choose Manual Setup at the bottom of the window, select Advanced at the top of the window (next to Printers), and select Logs and Statistics at the bottom. You can then choose between Logs and Wireless Clients. Wireless Clients will show you all devices currently connected to your Airport Express. The Logs selector will show you any previous devices that have accessed your device (in the form of a MAC address).

Do that first to determine if there are actually unauthorized devices on your network.

When is the last time you've changed your wireless password?

12. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

it doesnt list out computer names that are connected but i still see an unauthorized user on my shared list on finder. how can i beef up security so that he is no longer connected to my network?

i see only one address on there, how do i determine if that is me? i changed my password a few weeks ago, and i did it again today. i changed my network name and password...thanks for everyone's help so far!

13. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Are you on a Mac or Windows PC? And are you using wireless right now?

14. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

im on a mac, and yes im on the network now. if that is my computer, why does another computer show up on my "shared" section in my finder?

15. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Double check to make sure your MAC address matches the one on the list. You can click on the Airport icon on the menu bar, select Airport on the left, click Advanced and your MAC address should be listed next to Airport ID at the bottom.

You can also scan the logs on your Airport Express to see if any other clients were connected recently. Keep in mind they might be some of your friends if you've shared your wireless password with them.

16. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

i dont see my mac address listed. i opened up my airport utility, hit manual setup, then advanced, but i see nothing about mac address. am i doing something wrong?

17. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

The Airport icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen. The button you use to select which wireless network you want to connect to, not the Airport Utility you've been using to check the wireless clients.

Also, is your Airport Express your primary wireless access point? Is it connected directly to your modem?

You can also try this:

Click on the Spotlight button (magnifying glass) in the top right corner. Type Terminal and select the object next to Top Hit called Terminal.

Once that loads, type ifconfig en0

Your MAC address will be listed next to "ether".

18. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

no it is connected to a jack in the wall that my apartment provides. i just checked my network preferences, then went to advanced, i see my apple id but nothing else...is that normal?

19. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

Chances are, your machine is the one listed as a wireless client. Also, if you have shared a network at any point with another computer (possibly a friend), their shared folders can show up in Finder. It can take some time for those to go away.

If you click on the shared folder you're seeing and you aren't prompted for log on credentials and no files or folders are listed, the share is probably no longer attached to the same network as you. Have you tried rebooting?

20. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

when i click on his macbook, it has a public folder that i can enter, then one drop box folder, but that drop box folder will not open when i click it. it says that i dont have permission to see it's contents...not sure what that indicates!

21. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

So are you plugged into the wired LAN? Is the wired LAN shared with neighbors?

22. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I'm sorry, I meant ifconfig en1

23. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

You can see contents of public folder but you cannot see what is in the drop box folder. This is normal.

24. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

DOH! Not sure how I missed that.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm guessing this is the supposed problem.