Will Rogers in Canada Ever Offer Reasonable Data Rates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by numbersyx, Jan 2, 2009.

1. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Have delayed the iPhone purchase because of the extortionate (and I really mean extortionate) rates that Robbers are charging for data. Anyone think this is going to change in the near future? Can't believe we are so ripped off compared to places like the UK.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not unless they face competitive pressure from other carriers.

3. Acronym macrumors 68000

i also think they will not 25$ for 500 mb and 30$ for 1gig? screw that

they try to butter you up by telling you, "you get 1 million bytes" yeah nice try in comparision to how big hard drives are 1million bytes or 1 gig is rahter small infact most new games will take up more space.

1 gig is also equivilant to maybe 4-5 youtube videos (if that)

like op said Rogers are the Canadian Ripp-off store i bought there iphone and a phone plan but not the data plan

4. macdim macrumors 6502

It's definitely more than 4-5 YouTube videos.

I think the iPhone has actually been the cause of Rogers' recent price drops on data. Obviously pressure from Telus (and Bell, to a lesser extent), have also caused some price adjustments on Rogers' end.

Rogers recently released a $25 value pack that includes VVM, 500MB, Caller ID, 10 000 txt messages. While this is a step in the right direction, I don't think we need to be charged for caller ID and the idiotic system access fee in this day and age. It will get better with time, but it will be a while before our wireless plans are anywhere near as good as those in Europe, and even the States.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Makes AT&T look like a charitable organization.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

In Portugal the only options we have is 250MB for 10€ or 500MB for 15€. I wanted to get more data and wouldn't mind paying a bit more for it but we have no choice.

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes it's Rogers, they will never give us a break, those bastards... evry single month i ahve to check and re-check my bill, I am always getting charged and extra 10-70 bucks... for no reason...it pisses me off but there isnt much i can do if i want to keep the iPhone

8. No1451 macrumors 6502

So you use their phone service but not their data service:), assuming thats a typo.

At any rate, yes its terrible, and can be expensive, but I got my phone before the deadline, as such I get 5-6gb(can't remember atm) for $30, making my total plan only $88 with tax(rounded up).

What I would like to see is more reliable service from them, if they charge a lot AND deliver quality service, I am okay, but the speeds can be downright terrible at times. Also, nuts to this charges for caller id, how much does it cost them to do it? Nothing.

Endrant.

9. Acronym macrumors 68000

no typo i like the iphone i just dont see it feaseable to pay 30$ for 1 gig of data had i gone in september i would have 6 gigs for 30$ but i had no idea.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It's $25 for 500MB of data, but in late November Rogers released a Data Value Pack.

$30 gives you 500MB data, 10,000SMS, caller id, visual voicemail and some other stupid features

It's pretty good considering before you had to pay $15 for 2500 sms, callder id etc. then pay separate $25/$30 (depending on how much data you want) for data :p

11. Acronym macrumors 68000

really? well 500mb probably wouldnt be enough for me :p i paid 15$ i think for 2500 sms voice mail caller id no data

12. No1451 macrumors 6502

It would seem I have fairly sweet deal based on what you guys are posting, for whatever reason, on my bill I have something called "Txt value pack", with a charge of $0.00, which apparently entitles me to 2500 texts, is it because I was an early adopter?

13. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

hopefully when bell Canada and telus become GSM carriers (who knows when that will happen) then Rogers will have some actual competition, then they will have to lower their prices.

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

What's your monthly total?

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

It's not a bad deal, no. But Rogers released the same plan for Blackberry users (without VVM but adding something else in it's place...), and there is/was a $10 credit available on that plan, but not on the iPhone plan.

So BB users get virtually the same package for $20/month, but if you're an iPhone user, you're charged $30/month. That's BS...

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

When I first got the iPhone, it came with a 6GB data package. I did some research and noticed that I never used more than 200MB :p lol. So that $30 I spent on the 6GB was useless.

17. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I dunno I thought the $30 6GB plan was really good. Then again I would consider myself a heavy user of the internet browser... the odd you tube clip and the odd app download and i rarely touch 500mb a month...

I pay $72 with tax and fees... I have the following

200 daytime minutes
    unlimited evenings/weekends at 5pm
    2500 SMS
    whocalled
    caller ID
    visual voicemail
    6GB Data

I consider this to be very reasonable

18. akbc macrumors 6502

I pay $65+TAX a month for:

$35 My5 Canada Wide (unlimited call/text for 5 people within Canada, but I had the university student offer.. so I got 10 numbers)
    $30 6GB Data Plan

I find it very reasonable. I don't text a lot of people other than my "My10" people so it works out great.

And I tether my Data plan with my MBPro outside of my home.. And I actually manage to use about 3-4GB per month with the plan.

I find my plan quite reasonable.

19. Acronym macrumors 68000

Just to get an idea about data usage who here uses rogers data plan what do you use it for and out of your allotted data how much do you use?

20. abz786 macrumors 6502

less then 300MB for me, i just use mobile me, email and slight browsing, mostly game playing and texting on the iphone

i had the 6gb data plan with rogers, but got rid of it as i wasnt using anywhere near that amount!

21. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I'm using Fido and currently holding out from buying an iPhone, the only reason is because of the expensive data plan. I would definitely not use 3G and Edge or any of the online features like Weather and Stocks except when using the iPhone's Wi-Fi. I asked a Fido rep and he told me that without a data plan, one accidental touch of any online based icon would get me charged hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars considering the prepaid data rate is 30 cents per kilobyte. I asked if they could block my internet access with the iPhone but he told me there will be no guarantees at all. Is there any way that I might be able to block off internet access using the iPhone settings excluding Wi-Fi? Would I be able to get some sort of agreement saying that my internet is blocked and no charge of data fee is allowed? Thanks.

*No, I do not want an iPod Touch and a seperate cellphone.
    *I have browsed the forums for this issue and so far no good response.

22. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Rogers store/Fido store reps are liars. I asked if I could disable data, they said "not really". After I bought my iPhone from a third-party store (Wireless Wave), I blocked data on my handset and called Rogers and had them put a data block on my account.

So, yes: Rogers can block data on your account. Their in-store Reps will tell you they can't, because they make a bigger commission if they sell you a more expensive plan.

You can block data yourself, too, by installing a Fake APN... just visit www.unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone browser and follow the prompts. Easy as pie. When you open Safari/Weather/etc. you get a message saying "could not connect to a wireless data service".

23. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

THANK YOU! I would be seeing into getting one after Macworld. This wouldn't affect Wi-Fi though, right?

24. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Nope - WiFi works fine. It's just cellular data that's disabled.

25. deadsouls macrumors regular

1 gig is equivalent to 4-5 youtube videos?