Will S1 and S2 survive equal amounts of watchOS updates?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by johannnn, May 11, 2017.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

I know S2 has gps and stuff, is there Any difference on the inside like CPU/GPU/ram?
    I don't think the gps and brighter screen is worth the extra money for me.
    I'm planning on having the watch for a few years, so I'd like to future-proof the watch (similar to not buying an iMac today with 4200rpm disc).

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Series 2 has a dual core processor, with a reported 1 GB of Ram (Or 512 Mb of Ram), 8GB of Flash Sandisk/Toshiba memory. (Similar internals to the first Generation Apple Watch with the exception of the S2 Processor.)

Also, there is no such thing as "Future proofing" technology. Because technology is on a constant evolve process and whatever you have currently, is already considered outdated.

3. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

The differences in the chips are Built‑in GPS and GLONASS for the Series 2. Otherwise, I believe they are the same dual-core processor and should have equal longevity, for however long that may be.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

A few years? My original Series is still being used daily while it's with me almost 2 years now. I think with water-proofing and GPS these new Series can stay useful for 3-4 years easily.
    That said the watch is just on its earlier stage of development so the next couple generations could bring something break through to it. But if you want the watch for activities purpose though, waiting is just a waste of time. If I wait for NIKE LAB limited edition, which I would do had I know, I would buy my NIKE watch just a month late but that month my running already progressed enough to be worth it. I was substantially fitter and can run much longer than before, before even the news of NIKE LAB broke.

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I Actually saw the Nike lab Apple Watch in person today. I would consider purchasing that strictly just for workouts. And use my stainless models for other various activities.

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

That's the way I'm using my watch daily. SS for most of the day then change to my NIKE for running and all through the night with sleep analysis app.

7. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Same processor, so logically they're equally powerful and should get the same amount of updates.

8. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

I'm not saying it will stop work. But I do know, from using basically every iPhone from the very first one to the iPhone 7 Plus, that the performance decreases every fall when the new iOS ships. And the difference between each new iPhone is not linear. Some years the RAM memory stay constant and some years it doubles, which matters if you want it to stay fresh for a long while

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I wouldn't really compare the iPhone to the Apple Watch in terms of stability. It's too early to tell with how watchOS will expand and how long it will support the first generation Apple Watch and any models there after.

10. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have a Nike + Volt watch that I wear just for taking my nightly walks and to wear to work. I have three watches and decided on using the Nike+ watch for this. So far after two months, it's held up remarkably at my job and just has a tiny tiny smudge on the screen that can only be seen when the light reflects off of it, probably done from my seat belt buckle banging up against it last week.

I would not use my Ceramic or rose gold watches to work in. I have a fairly active job so the risk if damaging my watch is up there a bit.

11. Bellaments macrumors newbie

My watch back came off on my series 1, almost out of warranty. I have hypohydrosis and live in humid weather. The watchback on the 1 isn't protected or inverted. I'd def go for the 2. Future proofing....The s something else...specs aren't too far off. I would like to see a trade in program since that's impossible.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You probably don't have a Series 1 since it has only been out about 7 months. You likely have a Series 0 or Original/1st Gen. Read below.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/so-this-screen-came-off.1896867/
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/28/original-apple-watch-repairs-extended/
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/28/apple-watch-expanded-swollen-battery-repair-coverage-warranty/

13. Bellaments macrumors newbie

Hmmmm - K took a look as I thought maybe. I mean if it was documented what you're saying makes sense. However, when I called Appled they said that it was due to expire in September. Do you know if they actually got rid of the issue or will it continue even after fixing? Thank you!

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The battery repair warranty program that Apple recently offered only applies to the first generation Apple Watch. Which is what you likely have.

Those links that forum member provided you, explain everything.

15. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The first generation Apple Watches were released in April of 2015 and are colloquially referred to as Series 0. These watches run on Apple's S1 chip.

Apple released the Series 2 models on September 2016 with an S2 dual-core chip that includes GPS functionality.

At the same time they also introduced a Series 1 model, which you can think of as essentially a version of Apple's original sport watch, although with the dual-core chip which the S2 has. The Series 1 watches run on the S1P chip, which notably does not have GPS.