Will Samsung ban the iPhone 5 being sold in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlexanderTT, Sep 23, 2011.

1. AlexanderTT macrumors member

AlexanderTT

I'm a bit worried that after all this excitement about the iPhone 5 for the past year, I might not even get to buy it!

Does anyone know what's going on with this 'patent war'?

2. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Not a chance. Samsung will sue (as expected) and use it as leverage to lift the ban on the galaxy tab

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

My best guess:

This will end being another Apple/Microsoft, and there ends up being some sort of cross licensing agreement.

Eventually, the DoJ is going to step in and force these two companies to make a deal, because frankly, this is just going to start hurting consumers.

4. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Hah! Yeah, right. As if Samsung had that much power. I'm surprised they're fighting this strongly against Apple at all, seeing the huge contracts of iPhone parts they make. And now stand to lose. They copied Apple's design. They should accept it gracefully, and come up with their own idea.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I would love to know what's going on inside Samsung right now. Samsung does basically three things: Things we don't care about (like building tractors), building electronic parts, and building consumer devices like phones, TVs and so on.

The consumer devices part is obviously behind all this. They copied the iPad design, either out of laziness or to benefit from the similarity to the iPad, as Apple claims. And the trouble started with that, quite predictably. But the other part, the ones building electronic parts, they can't be happy with this. They are already losing business with Apple. And suing customers is generally frowned upon. Apple isn't Samsung's only customers, and all of Samsung's customers will take notice that they are at risk of being sued by Samsung if they do things that Samsung doesn't agree with. In that situation, you will try to shop elsewhere.

Some people have calculated that Apple as a customer is responsible for just 7% of Samsung's revenue. But for the electronic components business, Apple's share is a lot more, probably something like 20%. Losing that kind of customer hurts, especially when it's that part of the Samsung business that you are working at. Sony had exactly the same problem over the last years; a music and video business that crippled them as a hardware maker. Sony didn't have a chance competing with the iPod because their hardware engineers weren't allowed to, out of fear that someone might use a Sony music player to make an illegal copy of some Sony owned music.

I'm sure that some companies in Japan are very, very happy now with Samsung's management :D

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Thank you. Someone that's actually thinking sensibly about this Samsung/Apple situation.

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

last I checked, samsung didn't have the claim to ban Apple products...maybe just enough to get theirs un-banned.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Samsung can not stop Apple from introducing anything:p

10. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

How can a private company ban something? Samsung is neither a judge or a government. They can just file a lawsuit in a court. If Samsung said they were going to ban iPhone x in S. Korea, they might do it because the court in S. Korea was believed to be corrupt enough. But I don't think it will happen in other countries.

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Really sick and tired of these patent war's that could potentially hurt the consumer.

It would be like if someone patented a car with 4 wheels early on and tried to sue everyone else that tried to come out with a 4 wheeled car.

Slate phones are ubiquitous, learn to man the **** up apple and start competing (even if they are copying the look) instead of simply trying to suppress the competition :mad:

Want to retain me as a customer to buy your next phone Apple? Then bring me a game-breaking device that is so much more compelling to purchase that I dont even think about buying a similar looking competitors device...

12. naths, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

naths macrumors 6502

wish these two companies would stop behaving like children!,apple banning this,samsung banning that..god whats the matter with em!!,samsung is a massive worldwide company that makes things from tractors and heavy machinery to a small mobile phone,in fact the mobile phone is a small part of their industry,most screens,chips etc in all mobiles are samsung,so they have no need to counter sue,nor does apple really need to sue,there are plenty of consumers for all mobile manufacturers,so all this suing crap is bloody pathetic!!

13. aohus, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

seriously, lets not underestimate Samsung. They're the largest technology company in the world, in terms of revenue. Yes, it beats out Apple in revenue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_by_revenue

Samsung owns the most patents out of any other mobile company out there as well. This is fact.

[​IMG]

14. naths macrumors 6502

i think that samsung are more than capable of coming up with their own ideas as are apple,they both design great products,if samsung told apple where to go,and stopped supplying them with components we would all lose out......samsung though would not,as i'v said the mobile phone side of their company is not their main product base...as someone else said,tvs,washing machines,tractors,heavy machinery even car parts are all things that samsung manufacture .

----------

aohus.....+1

15. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Well, I don't know that's entirely accurate to classify Samsung as a "technology" company as they make anything from floating ships to electronic chips, and everything in between, including the buildings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung

But, yes, Samsung is a larger company than Apple 270k employees vs. 50k for example.

16. aohus macrumors 68000

Its accurate because I'm saying Samsung Electronics is bigger than Apple, not Samsung Group. Look at this chart per Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_by_revenue

17. SerrQ macrumors member

SerrQ

3 words from me: NOT A CHANCE.

They "can" maybe in some smaller country but not UK..

18. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

yea, Apple started it and now they're claiming Samsung is injecting "standards" patents into the debate. Claiming Sam is required to license those for a reasonable fee. But Apple apparently never asked for a license. They just infringed. Now they have stepped in $****.

I think we are about to see the frustration inside Apple about their inability to deliver the iPhone 5 and mishandling of the whole thing.