Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
This to me is the most important question because it determines whether I will buy this toy of a computer now (as a toy for sofa lounging and weekends, not as a computer for work because it can't even handle my external monitor) or wait until winter. Can Skylake compete with mobile processors in terms of low heat production, so that they can put it in this netbook?

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
This to me is the most important question because it determines whether I will buy this toy of a computer now (as a toy for sofa lounging and weekends, not as a computer for work because it can't even handle my external monitor) or wait until winter. Can Skylake compete with mobile processors in terms of low heat production, so that they can put it in this netbook?

I'm sure they will have a skylake "core M" (for rMB) and a "core U" (For MBP and MBA). I'd be VERY surprised if they put the same processor (i.e. core U) in their macbook pro in the rMB. If they keep this line of products the way it is, the more energy hungry powerful chips will go in the MBP, the low power chips will go in the rMB and probably in a couple of itterations past skylake, the rMB and the MBA will coalesce into one product, but I don't think that will happen after Skylake introduction which I believe is towards the end of this year.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Core M class Skylake chips will be out later this year. If history is any indicator, they'll retain the same TDP as the outgoing chips, but improve performance.

All Macbook lines should see a considerable boost from Skylake, with the largest boost coming (IMO) to the 13" rMBP. Of course if the 15" doesn't see a broadwell update, then it will likely see an even larger jump moving to Skylake.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Toy? Netbook?

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
And the single usbc port will make more sense when they introduce wireless charging.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
I would actually love to wait for a 2nd gen Macbook, but as it is, I need a new laptop in the next few months and will choose between MB and MBA (13"). For the same price ($1299) you get same RAM and SSD, but MB is lighter, retina screen, crappy processor, while MBA better processor, crappy screen and still light (2lbs vs 3lbs). Also battery life between MB (9hrs) and MBA (12hrs is different)

I think I'll have to go into the store and see for myself, especially typing on the rMB, though I'm leaning towards rMB since i'm mostly going to be word processing and light use of Illustrator to make figures. I don't really need an intensive processor for that.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If you meant to ask if Skylake would be drop-in compatible with the new MacBook - no way! Those days are long gone.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Core M class Skylake chips will be out later this year. If history is any indicator, they'll retain the same TDP as the outgoing chips, but improve .

Even if Skylake is not delayed and released 2H 2015 as planned, is there a chance that Apple will upgrade at once or will they wait til next year (and have some other upgrades like another usb-c instead of audiojack).
I've heard they did something simular with the iPad3 once, upgrading after only a few months.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Even if Skylake is not delayed and released 2H 2015 as planned, is there a chance that Apple will upgrade at once or will they wait til next year (and have some other upgrades like another usb-c instead of audiojack).
I've heard they did something simular with the iPad3 once, upgrading after only a few months.

It`s possible, equally only Apple know for certain, I can see the second generation having two USB C ports and 720p camera. I what think will happen is that Apple will upgrade the MacBook Pro`s to Skylake first, even a possible redesign to incorporate USB C. Much will depend on the performance of the new Macbook if it`s deemed to be underpowered at launch and attracts negative press, you can guarantee Apple will prioritise it for Skylake.

Q-6

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
It`s possible, equally only Apple know for certain, I can see the second generation having two USB C ports and 720p camera. I what think will happen is that Apple will upgrade the MacBook Pro`s to Skylake first, even a possible redesign to incorporate USB C. Much will depend on the performance of the new Macbook if it`s deemed to be underpowered at launch and attracts negative press, you can guarantee Apple will prioritise it for Skylake.

Q-6

Getting DDR4 (supported by the Skylake chipset) will be almost worth the upgrade all by itself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think we'll see a Skylake rMB until 2016, just because the rMB with Broadwell is not even out yet.

I think Skylake will offer improvements to the rMB line, but apple isn't about to roll out a new product line only to upgrade it in 6 months or so.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I don't think we'll see a Skylake rMB until 2016, just because the rMB with Broadwell is not even out yet.

I think Skylake will offer improvements to the rMB line, but apple isn't about to roll out a new product line only to upgrade it in 6 months or so.

I think it depends on how much flack they receive about the first generation being underpowered.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
That`s what I believe too. I plan to take a HD to the Apple store and checkout the performance of the MacBook before I buy, if it proves to inadequate I will just wait on Skylake. Having tried a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 recently the MacBook should be ok.

Q-6

I will probably buy one regardless. I need the retina screen and I can't believe the performance could be worse than my current 2010 11" MBA.

I'm so excited about getting one I can hardly stand it. I hate the way I'll have to wait longer, though, for my 1.3GHz BTO version to arrive. I sure wish we could preorder now.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I will probably buy one regardless. I need the retina screen and I can't believe the performance could be worse than my current 2010 11" MBA.

I'm so excited about getting one I can hardly stand it. I hate the way I'll have to wait longer, though, for my 1.3GHz BTO version to arrive. I sure wish we could preorder now.

It`s possible that the larger Apple stores will also carry the maxed version my local one does for the the rest of the line up, only exception I have seen is the omission of the 1TB SSD on the MBPr.

Retina is a must, I wont go back to a low def display regardless of OS or manufacturer. From my time the the Yoga Pro 3, you can safely say new MacBook is going to out perform your 2010 Air. We have a Mid 2011 11" Air kicking about and the Yoga was easily compatible if not a fair bit faster.

Q-6

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That`s what I believe too. I plan to take a HD to the Apple store and checkout the performance of the MacBook before I buy, if it proves to inadequate I will just wait on Skylake. Having tried a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 recently the MacBook should be ok.

Q-6

There is also the buy, try, return if it doesn't meet expectations approach. I hate being responsible for converting new inventory to open-box/refurb inventory, but the rMB is enough of an unknown that it feels different, and returns in this case are actually a useful form of customer feedback for Apple.

----------

you can safely scythe new MacBook

Who did the coding for the spellchecker? :rolleyes: :D

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
There is also the buy, try, return if it doesn't meet expectations approach. I hate being responsible for converting new inventory to open-box/refurb inventory, but the rMB is enough of an unknown that it feels different, and returns in this case are actually a useful form of customer feedback for Apple.

And, thus, you feel less guilty about the return.

One of my biggest sticking points is the color. I would like a space grey version to match the color of my iPhone 6+. On the other hand, I think the gold looks simply breathtakingly beautiful.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Like I say am just going to try out my Apps first in the store, like as not I will just boot the MacBook of my 13" Retina backup drive or I will instal the application wirelessly via wireless flash drive. If it meets my expectation I will be heading home with a new Mac, if not I will either wait on Skylake or pickup a second 13" Retina.

Q-6

----------

Who did the coding for the spellchecker? :rolleyes: :D

Nicely spotted :) heads a little broken from last nights activities, time for the "hair of the dog" methinks :D

Q-6

----------

And, thus, you feel less guilty about the return.

One of my biggest sticking points is the color. I would like a space grey version to match the color of my iPhone 6+. On the other hand, I think the gold looks simply breathtakingly beautiful.

Going for Gold, one I like it more, two everyone else will have the Grey one, and there are zillion Windows based Notebook in dull grey on the market already.

Q-6

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010

There's always a chance. They've done mid-cycle upgrades on several products over the years, including your iPad example. Whether they do or not with the Macbook will likely depend on its reception and the timing of Skylake. I definitely don't think there will be a redesign to incorporate any more ports though, I've never seen a mid-cycle redesign.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Q-6, I am guessing gold may have a faster resale time and/or higher resale price than plain old aluminum, if you're thinking about upgrading in the next cycle.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Q-6, I am guessing gold may have a faster resale time and/or higher resale price than plain old aluminum, if you're thinking about upgrading in the next cycle.

That is a good point. I am sold on gold.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think it depends on how much flack they receive about the first generation being underpowered.

Good point, that's what happened with the first generation MBAs, but I would have thought that apple learned their lesson from that.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Good point, that's what happened with the first generation MBAs, but I would have thought that apple learned their lesson from that.

Am in for one, but personally I feel that the new MacBook will be far more suited to Skylake and possibly that was Apple`s original plan...

The Yoga Pro 3 I tried was reasonable enough, equally not OS X or Retina running scaled.

Q-6

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Skylake will have processors with the same heat output, only more powerful.

In my eyes, the current Macbook is a horrible buy. It's clear to me that Apple will merge the MBA and MB line as they are so similar the MBA is so underspecs next to the competition.

When will the lines merge? It could be as fast as Skylake. Apparently Skylake core-m might get an integrated thunderbolt controller. Add a thunderbolt and another usb-c port, get a nice performance boost with Skylake and it's ready to take over the MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.