Will Skype ever utilize the front facing camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blorzoga, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The new Facetime looks cool, the only problem is you can only do it with another ip4 owner (and over wifi, at that). What are the chances that Apple will allow a Skype app that will utilize the FF camera? Even if it's only over wifi, it would make the FF camera much more useful.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

I hope so. Fring for Android allows video chat only on Skype, though. But my N1 doesn't have a front facing camera, so I can't see myself. But it works great, though.

4. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

it is assumed that developers will/have access to the front camera, considering they have access to the back one. Its only a matter of weeks until the chat programs update to use the camera for video chat.

It would be very "apple" of apple to not let anyone use the front camera unless they are using FaceTime. Time will tell.

5. Fidget08 macrumors regular

Fidget08

I have a feeling that Apple with bring video chat into the mainstream. I do think that Skype will use the cameras and im sure with time will be able to use it over network! Just my 2 dollars

6. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Don't count on it anytime soon ... The Skype dev team for the iPhone is so slow moving. Hell, they still don't have push notifications for chat!

7. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

You're right. Skype is ridiculously slow.