Will Snowleopards Sept launch bring further updates to the Macbook Pro 13" Hardware?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chigz05, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. Chigz05 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    #1
    I ask this because I've been waiting ages for Snow leopard wanting to get the new hardware and software in one go. From the rumors I'd heard I wasn't expecting much on the Macbook front at WWDC so this update was a bit of a bonus. But I am now unsure as to whether the sept launch will bring upgrades to hardware in which case I'll probably wait or will it just be the software in which case I can buy now (yay!) and just pay the £19 to get SnowLeopard. This thread then is really asking everyones experience and expectations as to whether its worth waiting.
     
  2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

    mgridgaway

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2006
    #2
    Short answer... 90% no. You should only expect new software.

    Macbooks generally don't get updated until november or so. August-September is usually iPod month (has been for the last two years, at least). If you're a student, it's worth waiting until you can get a free ipod, though, if you can't already.
     
  3. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2004
    #3
    I wouldn't bet on another update this year but I guess you can't rule it out. At this point the next update will probably come in Q1 of 2010 with intels mobile version of Nehalem (I believe there are 2 of them, a quad core and a dual core version, this will be the dual core version). Personally I would wait to buy new hardware until Snow Leopard is out and you see what it can really do.
     
  4. Shiner macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #4
    A better question might be: Will they actually make the macbook pro 13" a real pro to take advantage of the new OS? I am 95% sure they will not. The macbook pro 13" is a joke of a pro without a dedicated graphics card. Really they just added the name so maybe in september they may make it possible to add a card but not likely. Apple is really diluting what it calls pro anymore.
     
  5. Chigz05 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    #5
    But how long is that gonna be? I've already waited ages... From what you say thats another 6months...

    Is the basic built in graphics going to be sufficient for everything in snow leopard except gaming as I'm not really that fussed about games as I only game with uni mates and I've got a 360 for that...

    Erm yes can get the free itouch, well comes to £20 with the rebate but I'd probably sell that as I've got an iPhone already...

    Seems like the overall consensus is that there isnt that much point in waiting for new hardware in which case I might aswell buy now n pay for snowleopard when it comes. Any more thoughts to the contrary would be most welcome though. And if I were to buy the 2.26GHz and add 4gb and 250gb hdd is the .27Ghz processor difference to the 2.53Ghz version really worth the extra £100 in cost?
     
  6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

    gnasher729

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    #6
    If you buy any Mac now, you will get Snow Leopard for $10 / £8. So buy now and enjoy a better Mac than your old one three months earlier.

    Four GB + 500 GB drive can be found for £130 from reputable sources. I think your priorities should usually be: Plenty of RAM (and 4 GB is cheap), plenty hard drive space (I found 500 GB internal for £75), external backup drive for Time Machine, processor speed last, and hard drive speed possibly even later. I put faster hard drive speed last because it also adds to noise, heat, and power consumption and is rarely worth it for laptop users.
     
  7. Chigz05 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    #7
    Thanks so much you've made it really clear, I'll probably just end up getting the 4gb ram as I've got hard drives in desktop with ample space and might just get an extra external hdd to my current one for timemachine, Cheers for the concise and clear advice :D
     

Share This Page