Will someone please tell me how to overclock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mobius 1, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

Does anybody know about this

I saw a site saying a plugin for terminal to change system things and CPU frequency.

And please don't comment something like get a new computer, i don't have the money for it\

It have to be a native, not bootcamp

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm sure this is going to be just as unhelpful as "get a better computer" BUT... I really don't advocate overclocking if you don't already know how or really have a good reason to.

It's not a hobby.

3. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I need too, i can't do normal stuffs without lag, video edit, screenflow, etc

4. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Overclocking wont help you much for tasks like that. Plus, overlocking a laptop is pretty much taking a hammer to it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to overclock for such things. You need to diagnose what's happening on your system. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources. Also, look at the System Memory tab at the bottom and check your page outs and swap used, to see if you need more RAM. It would help if you posted some details about your system.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

6. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

i don't care it's already too slow for rendering, game, etc

i have 8GB, and a crappy 2Ghz core 2 duo

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can search the forum for the many threads that exist on overclocking, but I don't recommend it at all.

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I suggest you replace the user first. That seems to be the problem.

I have done plenty work on a 5,3 MacBook Pro with 4gB and a 2.66gHz Core 2 Duo without issue, including large track-count audio with virtual instruments and high-definition video rendering and high-density image editing.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That didn’t respond to his post. What’s taking up your CPU? Use Activity Monitor and look at the %CPU.

Many people that overclock (myself included, back in the day) just do it because they can. Invariably it makes little difference in speed and almost always results in instability or high temps. IMO, it’s not worth the trouble.

10. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

yours is a pro with 0.66Ghz more power

please is there an app or plugin for this?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

An app or plugin for what?

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You're really searching for a fruitless end. Overclocking is so 1990's and everyone here has already said you won't benefit from it and in fact would likely take a step backwards. Personally I don't know if it is even possible on Mac's. I've never looked into it as I haven't overclocked anything since way back with Windows 98.

What overclocking does is raise the frequency of the CPU which in turn consumes more power (electricity) and thus creates more heat. Heat can be a big problem for the rendering stuff you're talking about, as too much heat can actually slow the computer down if not stop it completely. Then there is the stability factor, OS's don't always respond too well when the clock speed and/or multiplier and voltage are changed.

Plus laptops by design have poor ventilation and the manufacturers usually design just enough ventilation to make it work properly as designed. If you up the CPU speed and create more heat, it will be that much harder for the enclosure and fans to dissipate that heat.

If you do find a way to do it, you'll be disappointed in the performance. I know you said you can't afford a new computer, but realistically that is the only way to overcome the problems you describe. Otherwise, keep using the same one and just have some patience.:)

13. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It is not that big of a difference; the performance is not linear to clock speed.

Are you sure it is a Core 2 Duo? I did not think Apple produced a MacBook Pro with a 2gHz Core 2 Duo; the 2006 MacBook Pro had a 2gHz Core Duo.

That's a different story, but then we are talking about a machine that is about 6-years-old. Even then, over-clocking is not the answer.

14. soco macrumors 68030

soco

While I agree with your post, I have to wonder about just that part. Isn't overclocking a big deal on the Android platform as well as the custom "frankenstien" PC world?

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i agree with what has been suggested. diagnose the problem rather than resorting to basically scrapping it.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct! And the 2006 Core Duo only supported 2GB of RAM, not 8GB. Something is amiss in the specs. If they don't even know the accurate specs for your model, overclocking is definitely something they shouldn't mess with.

17. ViviUO macrumors 6502

The OP is clearly not going to listen, and refuses to accept that what je wants to do is not possible.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I haven't the slightest clue about Android and OC'ing.... I pay zero attention to Android. I'm sure folks probably still OC their PC's, but I don't know anyone anymore that is into it nor do I hear much about it anymore. So to me, OC'ing is 1990's...

19. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Google is your friend. At some point we all have to take personal responsibility for educating ourselves.

20. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

overclocking

i have proper cooling

yes Core 2 Duo, penryn, 2.00Ghz

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

Afaik, there is no utility out there that could do this natively on OS X. Bootcamp would work though.

For the extra heat and marginal performance gain, it's not worth it.

22. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Just amuse us a little and describe your "proper cooling" and also please post your 'About This Mac' screen.

23. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

There just isn't as much to squeeze these days; the tolerances for heat have been pushed to the edge by Intel and AMD and at this point the bottlenecks are elsewhere in the system. There are still enthusiasts, but the gains we use to get 10+ years ago just are not to be had any longer.

24. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Then it is a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro.

Post your "About" screen...

25. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's kind of what I figured and why I made the statements I did. :)