Will Steve Jobs' anti-Adobe & anti-Google rant harm the Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xraydoc, Feb 3, 2010.

1. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'm sure many of you are aware of Steve Jobs' recent interview soundbites regarding his opinion of Adobe ("lazy") and of Google's entry into the phone OS business ("bullsh*t").
    http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010...-is-********-adobe-is-lazy-apples-steve-jobs/

Today, Adobe's CTO struck back in a, how shall we say, very restrained manner.
    http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Adobe_CTO_Defends_Flash_Against_Apple__HTML5

While I agree that most likely HTML5 will make some inroads against Flash, I'm fairly certain Flash will be with us for at least a few more years. And I firmly believe Steve views Google as the biggest threat to Apple's business. It's no longer Microsoft (and hasn't really been in a long, long time).

Does anyone think Steve's rant will harm the Mac software ecosystem? Will developers steer clear of the Mac for fear of upsetting Sir Steve? Or is this simply a non-story?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol, how could that possibly harm the mac? Do you think Adobe will block flash for macs or something?

3. xraydoc thread starter macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If Adobe (or anyone) thinks it's going to be too much of a hassle, they don't have to develop for the Mac. That's the harm.

The CEO of a huge computer company just called you lazy and said that a large part of your business does nothing for the Mac but cause crashes. Do you really think they're now highly motivated to push development on the Mac further.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They already barely develop for the mac ;)

Thats not going to make previous versions suddenly stop working.

Edit: And the crashing, thats most likely a true fact, the only times programs have ever crashed on mine is when flash is involved.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You both realize that pretty much the whole graphic design industry runs on adobe products right? Adobe would be shooting itself in the head if it stopped developing for mac.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

This was not an interview. This was a speech in front of Apple employees and nobody else, and absolutely appropriate in that context. And if anyone at Adobe thinks being called "lazy" hurts their feelings, well tough. Maybe they should change companies and join a company that writes software that doesn't crash all the time.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

You just said they ran on Adobe, not on Mac, so I think you just proved his point since Adobe isn't isolated to the Mac computer.
    Also, IMO, the recent versions of CS4 run a lot smoother on a PC than they do Mac.

As to the OP, I don't think his comments will hurt Apple at all. They just show how big Steve's ego really is - hopefully it doesn't bite him in the ass soon.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Now I don't know if my memory is correct, but isn't CS4 64 bit on PC and only 32 bit on MAcs?:confused:

I know there was some uproar over something like that but can't remember exactly which products

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Business is business, and companies will do what's right for their bottom line. Adobe isn't going to stop developing for the Mac simply because it's butt-hurt over something Steve Jobs said.

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, when Apple stopped their Carbon 64 efforts that really jacked up Adobe. They had to start from scratch using Cocoa. So, last I heard/read CS5 will be 64 bit on the Mac.
    There's always seem to be a love/hate relationship between Adobe and Apple and this last position of Steve's is more on the hate side at the moment.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Adobe is isolated to whatever brand of computer their customers use, if Adobe was a new company it might be the other way around, but there is no way they would give up mac revenues for their products.

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

So you're saying ALL graphic designers use Adobe, Adobe runs on Macs, therefore ALL graphic designers use Macs?

I know where you're trying to go, but it's a false premise from the start, therefore the conclusion is false also.
    Adobe is cross-platform, if it got pulled from one it would force everyone to use a new product or switch to another platform.
    Sure, Adobe would lose money, but how much money would Apple lose?
    Obviously, it would be a lose-lose situation and therefore really wouldn't make sense to do, but this is all hypothetical.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No it wouldn't. The industry would just switch to Windows. It's a lot cheaper to do that than buy Mac Pros anyway.

Also true.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Many graphic designers and firms use mac, every firm I have ever visited for that matter, Adobe likes to sell products, so they will continue to produce for mac.

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm glad you've visited *ALL* ( tongue in cheek) designers and firms in the world...but if push comes to shove and Adobe quits developing for Mac, what are all those designers and firms going to do?
    Honestly?
    Sit around and whine until Adobe brings support back or sell their macs, get PCs and start working again.
    I'm sure if Adobe stopped development and offered to transfer licenses to PC's it wouldn't be that hard for them to really screw over Apple.

Again, do I ever think it will happen. No.

EDIT: tongue in cheek

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I already stated this. Business is business. And businesses will do what they have to do. If Adobe stopped developing for the Mac, businesses would simply slowly transition to Windows. And gee, now that I think about it, it would be easy given that Macs also run Windows now.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Adobe makes money on the Mac

money > hurt feelings and bruised egos

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree with this as well. However, if push came to shove, Adobe could yank development and be just fine. Apple computers would not fare as well in the business world though in such a scenario.

20. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, and I already stated it before you as well - broken record gets the trick done :D

@MacDawg
    Sometimes, seeing as how humans are imperfect, bruised egos and hurt feelings > money. Ask Iñigo Montoya.;)

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Adobe’s John Nack said during the Carbon/Cocoa debacle that close to 50 percent of Photoshop’s market share is Mac-based.

"Paul Gardner — 2:47 PM on May 22, 2008
    I just can't see the hoopla over Mac OS that only has 3-7% of market. Use your resources on something more people use. Get with the 64 bit and release a Vista 64 version of Photoshop CS3. We need it NOW!

[The Mac is closer to 50% of our (Photoshop's) market share. —J.]"

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html

Adobe is not leaving the Mac anytime soon. If anything, they’ve been investing more resources into it, like bringing back Premiere.

In many ways, Jobs is right about Adobe. They do some quirky things like insisting on using their own installer instead of the default OS X installer, are slow to implement Apple’s Core APIs (Image, Audio, Animation, Video, etc), their applications are not very “tidy” like most Mac applications, they’ve slowly moved away from a Mac-optimized UI to a more platform agnostic UI, their application updater is annoying, etc.

And Flash 9 is a disaster on the Mac platform (I suggest you download the 10.x beta, much better).

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It would be foolish and irresponsible for Adobe to pick up their toys and take them home and refuse to play... alienating a large revenue stream over ego, hurt feelings and to prove a point

That is something Steve would do... not Adobe ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes it does. :)

And I think Apple really needs to mind their manners right now.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I know everyone loves to point out what a douche Jobs is, but has he ever really done anything like that?:confused:

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It was tongue in cheek actually
    I personally like Steve's decisions and choices, even though he has been known to play hardball... and win

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]