Will Surface Pro replace your MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Jacksonc, May 20, 2014.

?

Will Surface Pro 3 replace your MBA?

1. No

45 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. Yes

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Microsoft's introduction to the Surface Pro 3 compares the MBA to the Surface Pro 3. Will the Surface Pro 3 replace your MacBook?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Do you really expect people to say yes? People clearly pay more money for macbooks because of the software and quality, why would they trade that?

3. Jacksonc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

No. I'm wondering who would.

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

If i buy one it would since i dont have a MBA, I do like the idea of being able to take the keyboard off. I was looking to get a Surface Pro but the first gen batteries werent good for the price so i got a Yoga 11S instead.

This poll is lame. Why not just ask if anyone would be looking to buy one if they had a MBA?

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Worded to influence the vote. ;)

Imagine what the poll results would be if the questions was worded:
    "Will you show the world that you're a loser by replacing the superior Apple Macbook Air with some dodgy overpriced tablet made by evil Microsoft?" :D

6. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

These forums aren't real big on facts. ;):p

I did read on interesting article over on Gizmodo talking about how the shift in marketing (comparing it to an MBA versus an iPad) would be a good move overall.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

My current MBA works great and is the 2012 model.

I'm in a position to be considering replacements right now.

However, if my MBA died right now, I probably would not get another, and would opt for the Surface Pro 3 i7.

This is going to irk the hell out of some people, but MSFT is 100% right on this one. And they've gotten the compromises down to the lowest we've ever seen with convergence.

In a pricing context, how much would a Macbook Pro Retina and iPad Air cost compared to one Surface Pro 3?

And the aspect ratio change is so awesome. This is going to be one awesome product.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Actually, I'm quite intrigued by the Surface Pro 3.

12" high res screen, about the thickness of the original iPad, lighter than a 13" MBAir, pen/stylus with digitizer, full multitasking non-mobile OS (Windows 8.x), 4K monitor support with docking station...

I dunno. If only I could be comfortable with Windows (and yes, I use Win 7 at work and Win 8.1 on Parallels when necessary), I'd be very tempted.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have no need for another tablet, so I would still go with an Air.

10. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

If I were replacing my MBA this year, definitely.

My next purchase, when I do replace it, is looking to be one of these. Likely a newer version, given the fact that I'm not replacing this year.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's pretty much where I am. I'd love to score one, but there isn't a good enough reason for me to switch out from my perfectly functioning MBA.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

We're like "No reason to replace my functioning MBA" buddies! :D

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I replaced my MBA a looooong time ago with a windows tablet. I'll definitely be picking up a SP3 though.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

After you do, you should come back here and tell us how well it works. I'd love to read your review.

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Heck yeah. I'll probably go Saturday and pre order one at my local store, I just haven't decided which one I want.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm tempted buy my rMBP is only 2 years old and I can see SP3 handling 80 if not 90% of my needs.

I'm not sure if that's sufficient to spend 1,000 bucks

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I have an MBA and wouldn't look/think twice about a surface....

(1) I like my iPads. As tablets, they are perfect for my uses.
    (2) For the few things I need a laptop for, my MBA works just fine. Plus main reason I bought the MBA wasn't the design (size, weight) - though those factored in versus the rMBP.

Ultimately, no OS X, no sale for me.

18. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Totally understandable, different needs for different users. For myself it was such a huge relief to consolidate my macbook air/laptop and ipad into a single device, less to carry around and worry about. Not only physically but functionally as either machine by itself couldn't do much of what the other one could. When on my MBA I constantly found myself reaching for my ipad, and when on my ipad I often wished I had a real OS.

19. apolloa, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I still like the Surface Pro 2, but it wouldn't replace my 2010 MacBook Pro (don't have an Air), but I would replace My Mac if I had a Pro 2 with a Mac Pro :D

Very interesting concept Microsoft have launched, it's certainly one for the pro's as it's still thinner and lighter than a netbook and gives you a Wacom Digitizer.

If MS now drop the price of the Pro 2 range, it would be interesting to see how it sells. But I have always said the reason Microsoft launched the Surface range was to show manufacturers how to make a machine for Windows 8 and also to show the public what it can do, just like what Google has done with the Nexus range.

In the UK the new Surface Pro 3 i5 256GB model with 8GB Ram is priced VERY well to compete with the 11" and 13" MacBook Air's with the same spec.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Ive got no reason to buy one for those prices but id love to have one. Maybe ill sell my Yoga 11s and use that towards it. Love the Yoga and it is thin and somewhat light but always wanted a Surface Pro and this would be perfect.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

22. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

It's been a couple years since I've had the need for a personal laptop. If I was in the market, though, I'd go for the MBA.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I highly doubt there will be a Surface mini. The cost would be greater than an iPad mini which would turn people away, even if it were to have superior hardware.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, it would have to be the RT flavor to be cost effective and there's already a number of inexpensive small tablets for windows right now. I don't see a mini variant of the surface being a viable product.

25. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ya - in my use, if I didn't need a laptop for school (specific data add-ins for excel), I wouldn't have one. I use my iPad for everything.