Will swapping HD work on new mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catgo, Mar 13, 2009.

1. catgo macrumors member

Hello I currently own a Aluminum macbook 2.4ghz. I installed a seagate 7200rpm 320gb brive a few months ago. I'm planning on buying a MBP possibly the 2.4ghz model. I was wondering if I swap the HD from the MB to my new MBP, will it boot? That way I won't have to transfer anything to my new computer and also, get to keep the faster drive.

Thanks

2. boogieman macrumors regular

I cant fully answer that but I did install a seagate 7200 rpm 500 gig in my 2.53 macbook pro and luckly bestbuy let me swap it for the new 2.66 and I took out the hard drive and just popped it in my new one. Worked fine. Let me take this one out and pop it in my wifes macbook and see what happens. Give me a day or less.

3. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Great news! Thanks, I'll wait for your results!

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The drive will work fine, and it will boot - provided it's 10.5.6. However, the new machines ship with a newer build of 10.5.6, which includes the new Energy Saver panel and proper display profiles (among a host of internal changes, I'm sure).

I think the easiest way to get on the new machine is to connect your old machine in Firewire Target Disk Mode, then migrate to the new machine. Once you have everything the way you want it (you might have to reenter some serial numbers and the like), you can do a "restore" (using Disk Utility - do an "erase destination", too, to enable block copy) from the new machine (5400RPM) onto the 7200 RPM drive. To make life easier, I'd suggest getting an external case for the 7200 (or the 5400, depending on how you want to do things, as you can boot directly to the external).

The end result should be two drives with the new build (from the new machine) and your apps/data migrated.

The alternative is to manually copy your data and reinstall apps, but I've done the migration many times now, with few problems (as noted above). The only other thing I can think of that didn't come across were some USB<>Serial Adapter drivers.

btw: my info has the current public 10.5.6 build as 9G55 and the build which shipped with my 17" Unibody is 9G2141.

5. James Cole macrumors 6502

You would defenetely have to migrate... drivers wont match... might lock up...