Will "Tax Free Weekend" affect your purchases?

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I was under the impression that at least in Texas, tax-free does not apply to computers or items over 100$.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Verto said:
I was under the impression that at least in Texas, tax-free does not apply to computers or items over 100$.
yeah, it's basically limited to clothing and such. there's not really anything i need to buy and i find it best to avoid the malls and such on the weekend, so i wont really be taking advantage of it.
list of included items for texas

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
i just bought an ibook in NC custom with no tax my state is having its three day tax free weekend this weekend aug 5-7th, but u have to be a resident

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
It'll affect my purchases because I'm not getting within 20 minutes of a mall or major shopping center this weekend. It's not worth my sanity to save 8% on anything.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
We only get one tax free day here in MA :( Rumor has it that next year it will be a weekend :)

Some local businesses are letting customers do post dated checks.. they then ring them in on the tax free day saving you the trip out and lessing the frenzy of customers)... we purchased a living room set, sofa and loveseat by flexsteal (great stuff!). Unfortunately we don't the the goods till after the tax free day but either way it is well worth it.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
zim said:
We only get one tax free day here in MA :( Rumor has it that next year it will be a weekend :)

Some local businesses are letting customers do post dated checks.. they then ring them in on the tax free day saving you the trip out and lessing the frenzy of customers)... we purchased a living room set, sofa and loveseat by flexsteal (great stuff!). Unfortunately we don't the the goods till after the tax free day but either way it is well worth it.
I don't think we have any in NJ. :(

Cfly

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2004
iMatt mini said:
Yeah, 6% isn't too bad. :D

edit: What does the Apple Online Store base it off of?
its 15% on the apple online store

payed 200 in tax on the new ibook 12" and ipod mini i just bought

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Cfly said:
its 15% on the apple online store

payed 200 in tax on the new ibook 12" and ipod mini i just bought
That's outrageous. We should pay where we're from. :)
If you buy it at a local store, I assume you would pay state's tax?
What if I had it shipped to my local store and paid there, would I pay less? :D

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Here in Vermont we get a tax free weekend in August on the purchase of computer equipment for educational use. Frankly it is bogus and arbitrary. It does not affect my buying pattern at all. I'm not going to wait for many months just to try and hit that special two day window.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
iMatt mini said:
That's outrageous. We should pay where we're from. :)
If you buy it at a local store, I assume you would pay state's tax?
What if I had it shipped to my local store and paid there, would I pay less? :D
He's in Canada. They have a higher tax rate there.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I was interested, until I began checking out (Missouri)'s county observance policies. Only certain counties are participating, and each municipal city within the county has its own set of restrictions. So the interest waned.
X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.