Will The 13" Matte Macbook Pro Be Announced Next Week?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shambo, Aug 30, 2009.

1. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

As recent polls have suggested it's fair to say that swathes of new MBP owners are suffering from the highly reflective glassy screens with eye-strain, headaches, and tiredness. None more so than the 13" MBP owners who opted for the smaller, cheaper, more portable notebook - just try using it outside. :eek:

Anyway with all this in mind what are the odds of a 13" matte option being announced next week at Septembers keynote? :confused:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Why next week. Apple knows that people don't necessarily like the Glossy Screen, or at least that opinions are mixed about it, but why next week? It took forever to bring back the option for the 15".

3. shambo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shambo

Keynote next week. Sorry forgot to mention it.

4. celticpride678

The keynote is not announced officially yet, so please do not speculate. Also, whenever and if that keynote will happen, it will be about iTunes and iPods only. The Mac keynote is usually in October/November.

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I am almost positive that the event has been "officially" announced the music event for 9-9-09. however, in recent years apple has been very persistent about the sept event being specifically about music "ipod, itunes"

so i would not expect to hear anything about notebooks.

however, maybe they will do it like they did the 15". we will just wake up one morning and it is there.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

No. It won't be released period, they will reserve it for 15"+.

7. iJabareen macrumors newbie

so there are like 2 mac keynotes every year? that's kinda ridiculous , the new macs haven't been out for half a year , and there might be another keynote in november?! lol

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yes, I'd guess Oct/Nov maybe slight updates for the Mac ... I'm dreaming about why they'll to for updates ... my Mac's for close to perfect me so far ... what more can they do from June to say November that's stunning?.... I think that anything major would take place q1 or q2 2010 .... that's just my guess

9. pesc macrumors regular

That's so daft! So I should downgrade to a larger, heavier and clunkier laptop in order to be able to use it anywhere?

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Eye-strain? I've used my MBP outside in sunlight and my desk is in direct line-of-sight of a window and I have never had any eye-strain.

11. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Yeah same here. It's a big deal for some people though. :-s

12. be-b0p macrumors newbie

i wouldnt say downgrade as the specs on the 15" are the same, if not better
    than the high end 13".
    i'd be surprised if they offered matte as an option on the 13". Matte is for the "pros", the guys that use discrete graphics for work. I speculate until that happens the 13" wont have matte as apple will try to upsell you to the 15" for it..

13. pesc macrumors regular

If you want a mobile laptop, the specs on the 15" is much worse than the 13". (And I think the 13" is a bit largeish compared to my 12".)

The 15" is heavier and less portable. For me it is a huge downsell.

And I don't get what a "pro" is. Why wouldn't a Pro like to have great portability?? And why do people think that "pros" only work with graphics.

I use my computer professionally and use it mostly with text. reading and writing code. And I'd like my computer to be portable. I will never buy a glossy screen since the reflections distract me.

I have up to $3000 to spend on a PORTABLE small POWERFUL laptop WITHOUT REFLECTIONS. But Apple don't make such advanced computers. :mad:

14. shambo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shambo

Sounds like you resent the fact you can't afford the 15" bad boy. :D

15. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

You mean this recent poll... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=769733 currently 60.91% (and probably rising, again) disagree with you.

Apple might release it, but I doubt it will be next week, they don't want anything detracting from the music event.

16. pesc macrumors regular

If I could get a matte 13" MBP for the price the 15" goes for, I would take the 13" in a heartbeat. My money is waiting...

17. evitica macrumors member

I'd say its not coming for a good bit. The reason why I say that is because they added it back to the 15 a few weeks ago pretty quietly. They wont "announce" such a thing. Also, if they wanted the matte option for the 13, they would have just done it at the same time as the 15. 13 is their 'entry level' pro machine and I'm assuming if users want more they can easily opt for the 15 or 17 which include the matte option. So thats why I don't see it coming anytime soon, if at all.

18. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I just received my 13" MBP with 256ssd so they BETTER NOT come out with an Anti Glare screen in the next few weeks or I'll be having a yelling match with Customer Service.

I know the Apple Store employee's no nothing, but I asked them at a Toronto Store and she looked me straight in eye and said it was "not going to be an option on the 13" in the near or likely distant future" I took her by her words and ordered my CTO 13" MBP the same day ...

19. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

You say they know nothing and you heed them:rolleyes:. Next thing you know...:D

In all seriousness, I doubt this will happen in the near future, so you're probably safe:apple:.

20. Ryken macrumors newbie

I don't get the whole "I hate the glossy" thing. I use my 13MBP in rooms only lit with bright florescent lighting for 6-10 hours a day (law student, not fun), and the glossy screen doesn't bother me in the slightest. What are you people doing outside for extended periods of time that you can't have a glossy screen? Are you doing your video editing outside? You aren't in a studio? Hard to believe.

The issue is completely overblown.

21. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

dont even try to reason with him on your decision for a 13"

for some reason this guy has it in his mind that anyone who buys a 13" does so because they can not afford the 15". he thinks that every 13" owner envies the 15" crowd and wishes they were all toting around an extra pound and extra 2 inches. although gotta admit an extra 2 inches would not be so bad.

he is either delusional or likes to just get people riled up about it. Either way he needs help and it is not even worth the energy to respond to his nonsense.

as for the matte being reserved for pro's. last time i checked, the 13" had the pro name on it. therefore the 13" is as much a pro machine as the others. the only "pro" feature that the 13" lacks is the discrete GPU and that is a matter engineering impossibility at the moment and not trying to differentiate from the 15". and as the gentlemen said previously, not every "pro" does design and graphics. in which case a dedicated GPU is a non issue. the matte screen can and should be released and apple dragging their feet doing so is just an example of them showing us they make the design decisions not us.

22. be-b0p macrumors newbie

hey man, im with you. personally, i like the glossy screen, but I dont use my laptop in environments in which it would cause a problem.
    i would LOVE it apple made a 13" laptop with matte (even though i wouldnt use it) and an expresscard slot (wish they did!). I was just giving insight on what i think is the reason its not offered.

I know its not perfect, but techrestore modifies mbp 13" to have matte screens. might want to check it out.

http://techrestore.com/

heres a review.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/138574/2009/02/techrestorembp.html

23. pesc macrumors regular

Actually they don't. Check yourself:
    http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/home.php?cat=430

They can modify the old 13" unibook model, the one with the non-excellent screen, and they say they replace it with a matte screen with the same specs.

I have written them and they say they don't offer the service with the 13" MBP yet. If they did, I would go for it. Even if I live in europe and will likely have a hell with the paperwork exporting and reimporting the computer through customs. And more hell if I'd like service on my laptop.

24. shambo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shambo

25. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

uh last time I checked, this is called macRUMORS. half the threads in this forum is on speculation.