Will the 4.2 unlock be available in time for me?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Scott90, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Scott90 macrumors 6502

3 weeks from today I will be traveling overseas for three weeks, where I want to use my iPhone with a GoPhone-like option there. Of course, my iPhone is currently locked to AT&T and I'll have to unlock to get it working overseas. I don't remember why, but I installed iOS 4.2 when the GM came out, so I've probably shot myself in the foot there.

Assuming Apple keeps its promise and releases 4.2 this month, will the unlock be released in time for me ? I'm not really familiar with timeframes for these kind of things. I know the jailbreak is already available, but how long after the release is an unlock usually released ? I'm leaving Dec. 11, so I was hoping I can have it unlocked by then...

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Three weeks from today? Probably not, but there is always a chance. It will probably be unlockable if you preserved your baseband, but I doubt you did that since you are asking.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    There is no way of knowing this unless you have a magic 8 ball. It all depends if they have an exploit in the new baseband, and are able to force an unlock in that exploit.

They have released unlocks in the past very quickly after an OS release, and sometimes it has taken months.

4. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, no... Didn't think of it...

I understand there's no way of knowing, I was hoping there was a pattern though. If the last few unlocks came out two weeks after the introduction of a new iOS version, chances are it will this time, too...

And there's really nothing else I can do, right...? Going back to 4.1 doesn't work since the baseband is updated and other than that there's nothing that would work, correct?

Anyway, thanks for the responses, guys!

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Did you know you wanted to use the phone on another carrier when you decided to install the beta/GM ?

If so, very poor decision. From what I know, slim chance before Dec. 11th but as jmann says, it only takes a solution to make an updated unlock possible.

6. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did actually, but I figured since the GM was released, it would take about a week for Apple to release 4.2 to the general public and so they had about a month to work on and release the unlock, which I thought was enough time....

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

It also depends on what model you have. They have the 3G/3GS unlock basically ready to go once 4.2 is released, or so it's been said for several weeks. There is hope for one for the iPhone 4, but it's nowhere near done according to current info out there. So if you have a 4, it's looking pretty unlikely you'll have an unlock in the next three weeks.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

good luck I have to say this is another example of why waiting is the better choice. besides the unlock apple is still working on getting 4.2 right. Unlocks are not a priority since most areas have the option to factory unlock. this is the main reason I hope ATT loses the exclusivity I don't plan to leave att but I like them to offer to unlock my phone. I honestly don't see a unlock in the next few weeks hopefully I'm wrong.

9. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL :D:D:D:D "a" month to Unlock a baseband!

I love this thread!

11. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I'm glas I could put a smile on your face.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

most likely you will be SOL for quite some time, they have figured out the unlock for up to 4.1 BB AFIK and not 4.2 for use on the next release of ultrasn0w, you should have waited it out :rolleyes:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    You know you want an unlock and go and update to the GM?
    Bad move, you always wait to see your options, I doubt there will be another unlock for that baseband in 2-3 weeks.

14. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

+1 haha

OP what "promise" did At&t make.. unless you mean the unfounded claims of a MR members

easiest option would be to buy an unlocked cheapy phone on craiglist ( like a GSM sony erricson phone) and use your phone as an ipod touch

15. anthdci macrumors 6502

Is it an iPhone 4? I believe if you do a manual restore to 4.1, since apple are still signing the iOS and the baseband it will downgrade your baseband to the one included with 4.1 This cannot be unlocked currently, however there is a better chance it will be than the one included with 4.2. if your on a 3GS or 3G your stuck.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You really shot yourself in the foot. You do know 4.2 has a higher baseband than 4.1? You also do know that no unlock has come out for 4.1 yet?
    If 4.1's unlock isn't even out, what made you think a month would've been sufficient time? I'm not involved in working on the baseband and even I know an estimate of a month is about as realistic as Dubya's proclamation that we won the war in Iraq in 2003. You were taught critical thinking in science, so why don't you start applying them?
    If you haven't already, start saving your SHSH blobs with tiny umbrella. Blobs can't help the baseband if you've already updated, but they'll help preserve the baseband when you do update.

17. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did know that 4.2 would have a higher baseband, I did not know there isn't an unlock for 4.1 yet. I just had no idea an unlock required much more time and effort than a jailbreak, and since they've already announced a jailbreak will be available immediately after the 4.2 release, I figured the unlock would follow soon. I'm quite new to the whole iPhone world (started with an iPod touch in 2007, though), so I've underestimated things a little I guess.

@anthdci: Yes, it's an iPhone 4. Is it advisable to do this asap, or could it lead to other complications?

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know a few weeks ago someone on the team had said that they've got the first part of the unlock going (managed to find an exploit to crash the phone) so it should be soon. I think that was for 4.1 though. However, you may get lucky but in general it takes a while for unlocks to come out.

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes you underestimated the process by a LOT, anyway yes you can Downgrade your OS and BB to the current one while Apple is still signing it, Rumors has it that iOS 4.2.1 will be release in just minutes (from now), so go ahead and do it right away, once Apple stop signing those, you will be stuck.

20. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, with 4.2 being released a few minutes ago, I've downgraded to 4.1, let's hope this increases my chances.

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Apple Still sign them for a bit, so you should be fine.

Now Let's get ready for all the Thread asking When the Jailbreak will be release, It have been 30min and we still don't have it, I'm sure someone will find that unacceptable.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Cant wait for the "I accidentally updated my phone to 4.2 now my sim is not recognized" threads and such:D

23. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

And then when we get a JB for 4.2, thats when we see "i update tu 4.2 jb now non of my jb apps work, how do i downgrade :("

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, 4.2 has been out for like an hour now and people are already crying about wheres the "untethered jailbreak for 4.2" :D

25. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

And they are whining about Cydia not working.

It amazes me that just like the OP of this thread, how little reading or research people do before making really dumb mistakes !

The classics:

My phone was jailbroken and unlocked, I updated the firmware, where did my jailbreak and unlock go ?

I need to unlock so let me just upgrade the firmware again before the tools are released putting me two firmware versions ahead of an unlock tool

I just hit the Erase All Content and Settings, now my phone won't start ?
    :rolleyes: