Will the headphone jack really be out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwolf6589, Jun 25, 2016.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I don't think in 2016. If so, they'll include an adaptor.

Yes in 2017. No adaptor. Enough new features to make the "sacrifice" worth it.

P.S. PCMag doesn't know anything more than anyone else.
    P.P.S. How MacKeeper going for ya these days?

4. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

I hope they don't give up with the headphone jack but who knows,nothing here is official and you have to wait until the iPhone 7 comes out

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

The speculative rumours indicate that it will definitely be omitted. Maybe.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

The many existing threads on the topic didn't provide enough information of this type somehow?

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Some discussions on this topic:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...jack-to-lightning-adapter-looks-like.1979389/
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...l-major-changes-wont-come-until-2017.1979013/
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ophile-case-for-lightning-headphones.1976341/

8. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I think at this time of the year, with all those leaks, it is safe to say that it will indeed be removed. Though I think most people won't be bothered that much as long as they include Lightning EarPods.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I also thing there is a better chance it will be eliminated. I have not used my jack in years.

10. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I sure can't wait to buy lightning headphones that will only work on iPhones, and nothing else. Unless Apple plans on liscencing the port, which I honestly can't see happening, or if it does, becoming much of a success like any ports Apple heavily endorses.

So yes, all the more reason for Apple to ditch the 3.5mm port.

11. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I dont. I use my headphones on all my devices. Lighting would limit it just to the iPhone, and so my Macbook and iPad will have separate phones. Bad idea Apple.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I don't think you're in the majority though. Not by a long shot. A personal music player is one of the most popular uses for a smartphone and most people still use wired headphones.

13. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

You do that Android manufacturers are doing the same thing right. Moto will not have a headphone jack in the Z series either. Which means you will need to find a headphone manufacturer that's willing to make a headphone with a type C plug to use. And there will not be enough of a market for those devices for years not until Samsung removes the jack from their phones. Considering a lightning comparable headphones can be used by any iPhone/iPad/iPod with a lightning port it's going to be much more quickly supported especially when Beats is owned by Apple and they might never release a USB type c headphone at all. Apple will,license the port nobody else is going to put it on their phones.

14. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I'm 90% sure it will be gone. You know all the mock ups and "leaked housings" we have seen that look exactly the same all with no headphone jack...? It'll be gone. We knew what the iPhone 6 looked like months before its release. I think it will be the same for the 7.

Now the other 10% leaves the chance that it could be another "iphone 5" where it was pretty much a surprise.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

16. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502

Dirtydutch

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If Apple provide ear buds that would work straight away then I don't see the issue

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

I prefer if Apple removes the physical home button first. They should just copy double tap to wake/sleep screen that many Android and WP devices had for years. My Xiaomi doesn't have it but it wakes up with this app called Wakeup Touch Nexus while my Moto E wakes up from motion with its Moto Display. Physical home button that leads to wear and tear and into replacements needs to go. A back button would be nice addition too.

19. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502

Dirtydutch

Something seemingly may be in the works as in iOS 10 you have to press the home button now rather than it just scan your print.

20. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

21. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Bought a pair of Bluetooth headphones last year, so I'm not too bothered either way.
    Especially if they supply a lightning pair of ear pods in the box.

22. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Wait and see when the annoucement is made in Sept.

All this speculation is exactly that...speculation.

23. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502

Dirtydutch

Leaks this far in for the past 4 years have been spot on this for the most part is no longer speculation it's pretty much wait and see so Apple can all but confirm it.

24. noobinator macrumors 601