iPad Will the iPad 5 come with the Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Timely7, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Timely7 macrumors newbie

If so, I'll be soooo getting one!!!! Bring it Apple!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

2. AppleDavie macrumors member

I expect it to. a lot of people would be disappointed if it didn't. I see the touch ID like siri, they introduced it on iphone 4s then it came to the ipads, so hopefully apple will follow suit with Touch ID. Plus its a great security feature for ipads too. :D

3. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

No, it's definitely not going to. They are already having problems producing enough yields for just the 5S.

4. Skika macrumors 68030

Source?

5. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Knowing apple, they'll probably save it for next year's model just so people will have a reason to buy it.

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I have an iPad 3.

I was hoping to get a retina mini if/when they come out.

I'll opt for the fullsize iPad 5 instead of it has Touch ID.

If neither has Touch ID I'll probably hold out until iPads actually do start to come with it.

7. ryboflavan, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

ryboflavan macrumors newbie

I Hope you're not right. I passed on the 3rd gen cause it was thicker and heavier, I passed on the 4th gen because it was the same design since iPad 2 and I for sure was going to get an iPad 5th gen, but I may rethink that if it doesn't have Touch ID and 8 mp camera. ( I know cameras aren't important to people on iPad's but they are to me. I still have a "feature" phone and it has a lousy camera.) I carry an iPad 2 with me everywhere but the camera on it sucks for posting things to ebay or craigslist or instagram. I have been very patient, but waiting a whole year longer will suck for a better camera and Touch ID. But I think the wait would be worth it for an 8X processor 8mp shooter and fingerprint scanner. Hope all of this comes on the 5 though (minus the 8X processor, of course, I know it will be a 7X)

----------

Yes, a source would be nice

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Wow ! Where is your source please ?

9. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

Didn't it take a generation for Siri to come to the iPad? With the rumored production constraints on the iPhone 5S due to the Touch ID I'm saying it's probably not going to happen.....

.....though I so want it to happen.

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

While it could be argued that Siri required higher-quality microphones to function well, it was more of a software-side thing than a hardware-based thing. The iPhone 4S was released in October 2011, and the iPad 3 was released in March 2012. The iPad 3 received Siri support in late 2012 with iOS 6.

In the case of TouchID, the devices will either have it or they won't. It's not something that can be added in later. I really, really hope that the iPad Mini 2 receives it, but I don't expect it. Yields argument aside (which sounds valid to me), TouchID is a headline feature for the iPhone 5S. The iPad line isn't really threatened at the moment; leaving TouchID for a later iPad generation ensures that the feature keeps the iPhone 5S in the spotlight, and as mentioned previously, gives iPad buyers another reason to upgrade later on.

11. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

I will certainly be getting an iPad 5; the keys for me (as a developer) are 64 bit and airplay/airdrop. Processor speed is certainly a plus, but not essential. Unfortunately, the intro of 64 bit iOS means that I won't be able to trade in my iPad 3; I'll need to keep it for testing.

Re: fingerprint sensor, competitive positioning, etc., Apple should be concerned. Two years ago, when iPad mini was in design and development, there wasn't any really serious competition on the horizon. A year ago, the first Nexus 7 was out, and Surface had been announced. Competition was heating up. Now, when I walk through Best Buy, retina-quality touch screens with gorgeous color are everywhere. Nexus 7 only lacks a killer app (or maybe has it, YMMV). Surface Pro is an iPad killer for content creation (Office, Photoshop/Illustrator, Wacom-type stylus, TypeCover, ports) as well as an excellent tablet if battery life isn't an issue. Windows 8 apps are catching up.

What, exactly, does iPad offer to overwhelm the competition? I'd really love to see something here, and touch ID would do it. Yield issues will need to be resolved soon anyway.

12. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

What if....?

What if the reason for the constraint is trying to put it in both the iPhone and iPad at the same time?

Yay for optimism!

13. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

This is truth

15. irDigital0l Guest

I would think Apple's priority would to be to get the Touch ID to the iPhone 5s first.

It makes a lot more sense for the iPhone 5s to have Touch ID.

16. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Yep

17. Timely7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think iPad mini will come with it since the home button is smaller than the iPhone's

18. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

I've noticed some errors in your reply :D

On a serious note, Surface is a failure. Apple shouldn't be worrying about iPad sales. They are selling more than any other manufacturer, and are selling more iPads every year. No other company comes close to having such success with tablets, let alone Microsoft (Not even their humiliating "sell us your iPad for 200 bucks" campaign will help them sell more Surfaces").

As for what iPad offers to overwhelm competition. How about 400 thousand tablet specific apps compared to only a several thousand on Android (Let's not even compare windows), or how about fluidity, smoothness and performance etc.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if the iPad 5 got the touch ID sensor :) . I just hope there won't be any problems in manufacturing all the scanners, because it would delay the introduction of touch ID to the iPad.
    iPad mini on the other hand, I think, won't be getting fingerprint sensor in 2013. It outsells the normal iPad 2:1 and Apple would have to produce even more touch ID sensors. But, it should get a retina display and a big boost in performance (A6X/A7X, 1gm RAM...) :)

19. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I really do hope the iPad 5 comes with Touch ID sensor. Now I'm having seconds thoughts about upgrading if it doesn't...:(

20. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

21. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

ipad 5 is gonna be sick. lighter thinner faster and expect all the goodies of the 5s 64bit, touch id, and 128gb. Doubt the camera will have the same specs but it's an iPad,who cares.

23. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

24. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Hope this is the case!! Now will they offer pre-orders? ;)

25. 617aircav Suspended

Knowing apple the next iPad won't have touch id. They will save it for the next generation. It's the apple way.