Will the iPad Mini be too small?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adamdr3420, Oct 11, 2012.

1. adamdr3420 macrumors newbie

adamdr3420

Ive been stoked about the iPad mini to come out for a while now. searching the internet for specs and all that. but just recently ive went to the store to check out some other 7" tablets to kind of get an idea as to the size (keeping in mind the mini is said to be slightly less than 8") and now i seem torn as to whether it will be big enough. i would probably primarily use it to check social networking stuff, as an e-reader, and some web browsing her and there. My mother has an ipad and i always thougt that it seemed just slightly large and awkward to hold. i guess im just wondering what other people think. this would be my first tablet so im trying to make sure i get something im gonna like in the long-run.

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I use to have a playbook *which was a horrible purchase btw* but one thing I loved about it was the size especially for browsing, typical internet stuff and media. As long as the resolution is good I don't think it would be too much of a problem. Though when I was doing inventory checks/entries at a warehouse with a spreadsheet on a 9" iPad it was useful. To each their own though.

3. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

And how do you know this tablet actually exists?

4. 184550 Guest

5. adamdr3420 thread starter macrumors newbie

adamdr3420

Wishful thinking i suppose... if you wanna get technical about it ;)

6. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

If you're not a technologist, it could well be too small.... or too big for you :)
    7" diagonal screen is the sweet spot for MANY USERS SITTING ON THE FENCE (ie... me)

7. urkel macrumors 68030

The problem worrying what is too big for a phone or too small for a tablet is that usability is entirely dependent on how the OS caters to a size. Out here people are convinced that there's only ONE correct size for a phone and ONE correct size for a tablet but IF the OS and Apps cater to the size then 4.3" iPhones or 7" iPads would work just fine.

8. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

No. If it happens (hard to believe it won't) it will be good for me. I have a Kindle Fire which would be better if it had iOS.

9. adamdr3420 thread starter macrumors newbie

adamdr3420

I guess that is where i was coming from. when i first heard that Apple MIGHT be making a smaller ipad to compete with the google nexus 7 tablet and other 7" tabs i thought to myself "that seems like the sweet spot (size-wise)" not too small and not too big...just right. so i was looking for other people who might have thought the same thing about a 7" tablet and either liked it or hated it and the reasons why. so this has definately been helpful. i hope this iPad mini happens so i can at least get my hands on a demo model and see how she fits.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Why not just wait till there is such a thing before you make a decision?:rolleyes:

11. wrkactjob, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I had my iPad stolen so am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

First time Android usage though really only use it for occassional web browsing and primarily as a medium for viewing films.

For me the size is ideal, it will easily slip into the back pocket of my Levi 501's which obviously the iPad wouldn't.

That makes it ideal for shopping (waiting outside the changing room while the wife try's something on as my opinion apparently is important) and taking down the pub.

Holding it while in bed watching a film is really easy with one hand, it is very light (345g V 662g)

So as far as weight and dimensions go its fine for temporary web browsing and excellent for movie viewing.

So where as the iPad was more of a decision thing, shall I take it or leave it at home?, with this 7" device it's easy to slip in your pocket and take it everywhere.

12. stuaz macrumors 6502

Indeed lol.

13. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

There's no harm in talking.

Plenty of people discussing a BMW M4 Coupe right now though you can't buy one because it doesn't exist to buy and BMW havn't even confirmed it will go into production.

Try telling car fanatics they shouldn't discuss a car until there is such a thing and see how much abuse you get.

14. Maxinuk macrumors member

Too small for what?? There are some daft questions on this forum but this takes the biscuit! Just wait until they come out and try it - for some people a 4" phone is too big, for others a regular iPad is too small, for more the iPad mini will be too small, too big or just right or just right if it was 1/2" longer, or 1" wider, or 3/4" narrower...what do you want - Apple to make a dozen 'pads in 0.5" increments...or someone on here from Apple to tell you; "No, don't worry - we designed it just for your particular needs dear Adam of Montana and it will be perfect..."

*Everything* in life is a compromise.

:p

15. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Agreed and there is plenty of talk. There are also over 100 similar threads discussing the size of a device that has not been introduced.

But then I forget that these are Apple people!:p

16. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

I honestly think 7,8" size is perfect for tablet. Smaller, lighter, more compact and comfortable on the go. Regular 9.7" iPad is just too big for me. It's like a laptop without a physical keyboard so when I need to use bigger screen I just turn on my netbook or regular laptop.

17. sineplex macrumors 6502

you know what... you should just wait. i couldn't be bothered anymore looking at other tablets to get ideas and such and speculating and this and that.
    soon as it's announced i either buy or don't buy. You can always take it back if it doesn't suit your purpose. They give you how many days and full money back if not happy anyway... so just buy the damn thing! :cool:

18. Skika macrumors 68030

Too small for me, i think the current iPad has perfect size/portability ratio.

But i understand for some people the iPad mini will be the perfect thing. Choices are good.

19. GoodBoy, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

GoodBoy macrumors 6502

I think it's coming mostly from people who treats their iPads as laptop replacements. I don't see tablet that way. For me it needs to be a compact device to comfortably browse internet, play games and occasionally watch some movies. It is not to replace my laptop.

Exactly and same vice versa. If someone wants to replace laptop then sure thing the bigger the screen the better ;)

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are you saying that people who want iPads as laptop replacements want the larger size? Hmmmmm.

I don't really think of my iPad as a laptop replacement, 90% of what I do on it is reading, and some games. But I do like that in landscape, the iPad keyboard is almost the same size as a full-size keyboard. Makes it easier to type when I do use my iPad for writing. I do get how more compact is easier for carrying it when going out -- but for me, I really like the size of the current iPad, I have bags that work great for carrying it around, and I'm not sure the smaller size will work for me. The mini, to me, is a "must see before knowing if it'll work" product. But no, I'm not trying to use the iPad as a laptop replacement.

21. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Because it has been confirmed by sources who are historically 100% accurate.

22. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

If a person has no concept of what the mini is, then your advice is right on. But if a person has a 7" tablet now but with the wrong OS (not iOS) why not decide to get one if you want?

Do you really think Apple would come out with a mini tablet that is all wrong?

23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Most web content is not yet optimized for 7-inch tablets, but I don't see that being a problem. My only experience with a 7-inch tablet was borrowing a Kindle Fire for use on a cross-country vacation, and I loved using it. Web browsing was my only issue, but it wasn't a huge deal. And with the iPad Mini being slightly bigger and with better software, this shouldn't be a big deal either. Content will also be more optimized once Apple gets into the 7-inch game.

Perfect size for me. I've been waiting on a smaller iPad.

24. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

When I had my Nexus 7, I was able to hold it with one hand from from left to right. Since the iPad mini is 7.85" with a 4:3 aspect ratio, do you guys think it would be a little bit too large?

25. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Oh, that has to be a Sarcastic reply clumythief :D But I like it...;)