Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amoebas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
There haven't been many rumors around the 13 and 13 mini. Considering how other flagship base models such as the Galaxy S21 have 120hz screen, telephoto, 128GB base storage etc... Would the iPhone 13 still be worth it if rumors suggest that it has 60hz screen and the same 64GB base storage?

Reactions: N69AP

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
The bigger question is: do you want to switch to Android?
Wait 4weeks to see what’s really happening. 128gb and higher refresh rate is still an option

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
If you’re holding out for 120hz and a telephoto lens on the 13, it ain’t happening this year, better off spending that little bit extra for the pro model if you want 120hz and telephoto lens.

iPhone 13 👇 no telephoto lens.

D6CAF1D7-552D-4843-9EBC-53569EA38370.jpeg

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I do wonder how long Apple can release the standard models with just 2 cameras when the norm across the industry for phones much cheaper is 3 or 4 cameras. I know Apple hold things back on the standard to differentiate it from the Pro but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth now.
Maybe they can’t get enough 120hz panels and telephoto lens for all 4 models, they ain’t selling 10 millions phones a qtr like Samsung, we’re talking 60m units.

Supply issue? 🤔

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I do wonder how long Apple can release the standard models with just 2 cameras when the norm across the industry for phones much cheaper is 3 or 4 cameras. I know Apple hold things back on the standard to differentiate it from the Pro but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I would imagine next year or when the pros gets better optical zoom with periscope lens. And non pros get the 2x

schneeland

macrumors regular
May 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
Well, we don't really know. As others have already mentioned, three lens camera will probably not happen this year, 120Hz display remains to be seen and notch will probably also stay.
But at least for the iPhone 13 Mini the question is easy to answer: it will outshine the competition, because there is practically no competition in this market segment (decent tech, screen smaller than 5.5"). Makes me wonder if my hands will magically grow when I switch to Android.

Reactions: Barbareren

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Maybe they can’t get enough 120hz panels and telephoto lens for all 4 models, they ain’t selling 10 millions phones a qtr like Samsung, we’re talking 60m units.

Supply issue?

Economies of scale certainly play a huge part in this. Good point.

Reactions: LFC2020

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
In my opinion the standard iphone models, especially since the 12 series are now very competitively priced against android phones in the same pricing bracket. Those 2 cameras on the 12, take better pics than the 3-4 cameras on the majority of flagship android phones, with the pixel being the exception. Then also consider the 5 year software support and customer service from Apple as part of the package. With Apple its about Quality first rather than quantity that Android vendors seem to focus on. I do like the Android world but I'm just being honest here.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Probably for a really long time. Apple won't let their silicon go to waste if they can make up for it using computational photography.

Reactions: snipr125

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There haven't been many rumors around the 13 and 13 mini. Considering how other flagship base models such as the Galaxy S21 have 120hz screen, telephoto, 128GB base storage etc... Would the iPhone 13 still be worth it if rumors suggest that it has 60hz screen and the same 64GB base storage?
Consumers don't look at it that way. Apple knows that and industry analysts know that. It's about ecosystem lock. A decade ago, it was about iTunes. Today, it's about AirPods, AirTags, Watch. None of that stuff works without iPhone.

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
The question you have to answer is how do average consumers make purchase decisions. Do they spend hours comparing features, software support, price etc. Or just get what their friends have and is in their price range. I have a friend that bought an iPhone 11 at full price a few months before the 12 launch. He couldn't tell you what screen tech or modem it has. It's a new iPhone and I can afford it.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
The question you have to answer is how do average consumers make purchase decisions. Do they spend hours comparing features, software support, price etc. Or just get what their friends have and is in their price range. I have a friend that bought an iPhone 11 at full price a few months before the 12 launch. He couldn't tell you what screen tech or modem it has. It's a new iPhone and I can afford it.
Very true, had friends and family call me while they’re in a store a week before a iPhone launch asking me which phone to buy. ?‍♂️?

Told them walk out the way you came you in and wait. ?‍♂️

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It will be worth it for all the reasons previous iPhones have been worth it - build quality, long-term software support, the ecosystem etc. That's the challenge when you are evaluating iPhones against the competition. Do you just compare spec for spec, or factor in the intangibles like the apple ecosystem as well?

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I think everyone here factors in everything. After all, it’s just another ‘geeky’ tech forum. Still, no wealthy person I’ve ever met will bother upgrading to the latest phone, because it is basically just that; a phone, for most people. I’m not rich, but I could afford buying all new Apple gear every single year, but I choose to save/invest that money instead. That’s how I remain ‘non-poor’… just saying… Some people choose to upgrade every year simply because of a new colour… I’m not going to judge, I mean, if you’re a multi millionaire then why not… it’s none of my business.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
I dont like google was always my slogan, but since android 11/12 i think wow. For people who dont want use icloud or apples eco system its easier to use android. If someone ignore high priced samsung phones with ads, then there can switch to high competitive other brands. Iphones are good but would be hard for apple to be an innovation leader, simple things like indisplay fingerprint sensors dosent exist on iphones.
The next thing is market share mostly in the usa and japan iphones are really leading, rest of the world prefer android with 72% market share. I stay with the iphone only because of small form factor and because i am a lazy man.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I would say pretty much all my family, friends and work colleagues are like that. The only person I know who can remotely understand spec’s and model numbers of iPhones is my wife. A colleague of mine has just bought a Samsung Galaxy A12 and it has 4 cameras and a big screen. It cost just £149 but in his eyes it’s a better phone than my iPhone 12 which is smaller and has just 2 cameras. You’re right, a lot of consumers will buy based on first impressions.

This is why I wonder how many more years Apple can get away with just putting 2 cameras in the standard iPhone rather than 3 like we see in the Pro models. Most mobile phones now have 3 or 4 cameras and it’s this aspect that will make the iPhone seem dated or too basic even for those that don’t really understand the performance of these devices.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
The standard line up only just got OLED in 2020 so apple have been a bit behind with it in some regards for a while. I’m someone who has stuck to the standard line up, avoided pro phones and before that plus models; but I’ll say that the standard 13 rumoured spec upgrades sound disappointing. I’ll personally be keeping my 12 till 2022; if there’s no third camera or higher refresh rate on the standard 14 I’ll go android or go for a pro model.

IBMlover

macrumors member
May 4, 2021
Austria
Today, it's about AirPods, AirTags, Watch. None of that stuff works without iPhone.
Sorry, but that's not true for the AirPods. They work just perfectly fine on every other device with Bluetooth - that's why I bought them. ;)

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Sorry, but that's not true for the AirPods. They work just perfectly fine on every other device with Bluetooth - that's why I bought them. ;)
Airpods do work as bluetooth earphones on android devices and windows laptops, but they do not sound particularly that good. When used with an iphone via the H1 chip though, its a completely different experience. They sound better than wired earpods and have ridiculous range away from the host iphone, even with obtacles like walls in the way. I even tested them in a IT server room which has part magnetic shielding, walls and a door in the path of my iphone, and amazingly they still worked!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
How long did Apple keep selling 16GB as base storage for their flagships? That should be a sign. Part of Apple's pricing is not just on BOM cost, but it's on the brand (disregarding any recent issues). Many people buy iPhones because of the brand, just like how people buy Nike shoes, LV bags, etc.

And yes, it would really be annoying if Apple is keeping 64GB as base storage. That's fine for the SE, but for the main flagship, 128GB should be the standard now. I bet knowing Apple, they will keep 64GB as base, but they will bump the next tier to 256GB. This will nudge most people to just get the 256GB model, meaning higher ASP for Apple. I believe Apple did this before with the 6s, where the base was paltry 16GB, and the next upgrade tier was a big jump to 64GB to nudge people into spending more.

Reactions: schneeland

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I would say pretty much all my family, friends and work colleagues are like that. The only person I know who can remotely understand spec’s and model numbers of iPhones is my wife. A colleague of mine has just bought a Samsung Galaxy A12 and it has 4 cameras and a big screen. It cost just £149 but in his eyes it’s a better phone than my iPhone 12 which is smaller and has just 2 cameras. You’re right, a lot of consumers will buy based on first impressions.

This is why I wonder how many more years Apple can get away with just putting 2 cameras in the standard iPhone rather than 3 like we see in the Pro models. Most mobile phones now have 3 or 4 cameras and it’s this aspect that will make the iPhone seem dated or too basic even for those that don’t really understand the performance of these devices.
The fact that Apple is breaking sales records with the "only-2-lens" iPhone 12 shows that the market actually doesn't really care. Most people will buy iPhones because of the brand, not because of the specs. Imo Apple is not too worried about what cheap Android phones are doing.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
How long did Apple keep selling 16GB as base storage for their flagships? That should be a sign. Part of Apple's pricing is not just on BOM cost, but it's on the brand (disregarding any recent issues). Many people buy iPhones because of the brand, just like how people buy Nike shoes, LV bags, etc.

And yes, it would really be annoying if Apple is keeping 64GB as base storage. That's fine for the SE, but for the main flagship, 128GB should be the standard now. I bet knowing Apple, they will keep 64GB as base, but they will bump the next tier to 256GB. This will nudge most people to just get the 256GB model, meaning higher ASP for Apple. I believe Apple did this before with the 6s, where the base was paltry 16GB, and the next upgrade tier was a big jump to 64GB to nudge people into spending more.
Strangely, though, after the 6s, they came out with the 7 with 32 GB base and then the 8 had 64 GB base. So it jumped up two years in a row. And only last year did they give the premium Pro models a base of 128 GB. Sometimes Apple is predictable and sometimes they almost seem random.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The fact that Apple is breaking sales records with the "only-2-lens" iPhone 12 shows that the market actually doesn't really care
Because most people see an iPhone as a snap shooter and the basic cameras on the smaller devices are good enough for snap shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.