Will the iPhone antenna issue be resolved with the new Verizon iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeffs177, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jeffs177 macrumors member

I've searched the forums and I haven't found anybody asking this question.

I know that no one knows for sure at this point, but do you think that the new Verizon iphone will have a new and improved antenna to resolve the "antennagate" issue? That alone would be enough for me to cancel my AT&T contract and move to Verizon. People can say all they want that it's a non issue, but I'm fed up with it and I'm not about to put an ugly case on it just to fix Apples mistake. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and I will not get any other phone, but I've seen the suppose Verizon iPhone and I see the antenna is revised. Could they have fixed the problem or is it just to accommodate the CDMA technology?

Give me your take and what do you plan on doing?

2. zenit macrumors member

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

1. Antennas don't care about GSM or CDMA, only the desired frequencies.

2. CDMA (and WCDMA) pilot signal levels are virtually meaningless, as it is the overall cell noise floor that matters most. You can have one bar and a great connection if few users are on a cell. Conversely you can have five bars and have a bad connection if the cell is very busy.

3. Handheld antennas are compromises. The GSM iPhone antenna has to support five frequency bands. The CDMA iPhone antenna only has to support two (perhaps three if Korea is a target) bands. That alone should help.

4. There are claims that the top section is a second antenna to give better performance. Perhaps. I don't think it's anywhere near that simple, as the entire design seems to be that of an unusual slot antenna, with some or all of the internals of the whole phone serving as the antenna core, and the outside band acting as the section outside the slot (the slot being the gap between internal and external parts).

We need to go look at the FCC results. The GSM iPhone definitely radiates most from the bottom, which is partly why I believe that the bottom microphone module is part of the antenna. It'll be interesting to see where the CDMA iPhone radiates most.

4. jeffs177 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks Zenit. That was a good read and I hope to see some more testing on the new phone. I'm sure there's more than meets the eye at this point.

5. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Given the fact that the people complaining about antennagate blame it on skin contact on the gate in the button left corners, I think it will be the same. The Verizon one has the same gate in the same place.

Personally I have never experienced any issue.

6. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Really? I had heard that the break in the antennae is on the top on the VeriPhone, effectively solving the problem.

7. utneon macrumors regular

i don't think there's a problem with the antena in iphone 4. it's just the signal that sucks in the usa. in europe i have no problems. when i visited usa i had network issues with my nokia, so i don't really think you should worry about that=P

8. jeffs177 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, sorry to disappoint you, but the iPhone 4 does have a problem with the antenna. That's no secret and it's a proven fact that the phone needs a redesign.

9. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

Interesting, my buddy who works for Verizon was in some training this week and part of the training was showing where the Antenna was moved to, and that it helped fixed the antennagate.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Sorry, but there is no problem with the antenna. If you have a weak signal then you will have antenna problems with any phone. I have a good signal everywhere and have never had a dropped call.

Moving to Verizon is probably your best bet but don't think that any antenna problem is solved. The antenna design is essentially the same. Their are some that have already tested it and verified it works like all other antennas. Cover it with your hand and a weak signal will get worse. :cool:

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It depends ENTIRELY where you live. I can be sitting with 5 bars of 3G, barely touch the bottom left corner and drop to no signal. This is with a launch-day IP4. Find me another phone that this happens with.

The rest of my town where I have 3-5 bars of 3G, going in many buildings will cause a complete signal loss with this phone.

I will be switching to Verizon just because around here, I can't go a block outside of town without being unable to use my phone at all.

12. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

iPhone 4 Antenna Problem: Design Defect Confirmed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD188LlRBGM

:rolleyes:

13. jeffs177 thread starter macrumors member

I'm surprised that people still think it's a non issue. It's been proven. Apple even admits it's a problem and had to give out free bumpers to temporarily fix the problem until they can redesign it.

14. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

You're very correct, it has been proven and Apple has acknowledged it.

Fanboys are in denial to think their precious iPhone is less than perfect.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Incorrect.

I can kill the data connection on any (non-cased) iPhone 4, just by holding it the bad way.

That's why I returned mine.

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

I believe engadget or someone had done a test on launch date and the signal issue wasn't produced on the vzw iPhone. We'll see when it comes. If it's another excuse to get a free bumper idm :)

17. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

not everyone has/had the problem with the antenna, i for 1 never didn't.

18. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

It is not a real issue because something as simple as a bumper or a case solves it. An any cell phone whether or not it is a smart phone should be in a case all the time.

Therefor in spite of the iPhone haters there is not and never was any real issue.

19. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Disagree completely.

A phone should be usable in it's stock naked form. A case shouldn't be "required" to get the device functionality you get from other phones.

It is an issue. It happens out of the box. Whether you can correct it by adding a case is not the problem it's the fact you shouldn't have to add a case/bumper. Your "opinion" is a phone should be in a case, and that's your "opinion". Your obviously trying, like a lot of people, to give reason to why you have a case on.

20. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I must have a one of a kind special iPhone then, because I have never - not once - been able to replicate the problem with my phone. I've done the death grip as hard and as many ways as possible, in different cities and states with all different levels of reception, on the 3G and Edge network.

21. jeffs177 thread starter macrumors member

Well said. It's so true. I don't own stock in the company, so maybe that's why I don't go out of my way to lie about the issue at hand. I love Apple, but when I can't make a phone call without it dropping call after call, then yes, there's a problem. I never, ever had this problem with my 3G and now I can't use the phone with more then 2 fingers on the phone. That's why I hope they fix it with the Verizon iPhone.

22. phpmaven, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Sorry, No, there is no "antenna issue", never was. It was all totally blown out of proportion by the media and a few people on these forums. Just about every other phone reacts the same to being held in the so-called "death grip". I've never had a problem and neither have all of the people I know with iPhones.

Apple has never changed anything about the design and yet you rarely ever hear anybody mention the antenna anymore. I wonder why.

Do you really expect us to believe that you're running around holding your phone with two fingers all the while dropping call after call? If that's true then you have a defective phone and need to get it replaced or you live somewhere with really poor signal. If the latter is the case, it's beyond me why you wouldn't use a case.

23. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You forgot one: Putting the antenna on the outside where it can be gapped by a moist finger and drop bars. I'm in a 1-2 bar area most of the time and this is a big deal.

24. darngooddesign, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

All I know is what I tried and on 5 iPhones, running the SpeedTest app, I could choke the data stream within 30 seconds. My 3GS does it a little, the difference being that its antenna isn't on the outside.

Ooooo, playing the hater card. Very original. The fact that you need a bumper proves that the issue was real. Whether this is acceptable to you is another matter.

To affect other phones you have to hold them in very unnatural ways, like at the top. On the 4, holding it in a very natural way if you're right handed causes the problem. The reason why no one still talks about it is that Apple made its statement, give out bumpers, and left it up to everyone to decide if they wanted to return their phones.

I do believe that there are some phones not affected, whether its because the users are in extremely strong signal areas, their skin isn't as moist, or something else. The fact that I could do it to at least five random iPhones I came in contact with showed me there was an issue.

25. BriChi macrumors 6502

I love when people try and say there is no antenna issue, if that was the case, then why was there a press conference called by Apple to give away free bumpers, if there was no issue, then there would be no need to do that. Also, I am an Apple lover, have a bunch of macs, no pc's and LOVE the iPhone, The ONLY reason I dont own one right now and switched to a droid is because ATT sucks balls by me and the antenna issue sucks too being that I like my phones naked, I dont want to be forced to own a case. Check out the many youtube vidz easily reproducing the issue

I originally figured the problem was blown out of proportion too because it's Apple and the media is always all over them, but I know at least 8-10 people with the new iPhone and when they first got them I purposely took their case off right away to test the antenna issue and all but 1 of them dropped down to "no service" by simply bridging the antenna gap, I didn't even have to death grip it. So for the fanboys that "may" live in a strong serviced area or have a case, stop saying that it is not an issue, It may not be for YOU, but it is for a lot of people.

On the Feb 3rd I will be pre-ordering the phone at 3am, the first thing I am doing out of the box is trying to get the signal to drop by holding it in my left hand, If it does, then the phone will be returned until the next revision