will the iphone become

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattpreston11, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

common?

i loved being the only one (out of everyone i knew) to have an iphon at launch in the UK in november. then a few of my mates got them because they had seen how brilliant mine is. But i would hate for them to become as common as ipods where everybody has one..

what do you think?

2. sananda macrumors 68020

i got mine in november here in the uk and i hardly ever saw any others until the £169 special offer came out. now i think it's going to be massive over here. and i suppose you could say common.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Sorry to sound so harsh early in the day… but really. There are more important things to be concerned about. :rolleyes:

And if (big if) they do become common as muck… why would that worry you?
    The more Apple sell the better the product becomes.
    :)

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They won't be as common as iPods.

I would expect them to take a huge chunk of the personal smart phone market though.

5. guru_ck macrumors 6502

After a while the 1st generation iPhones were already very common everywhere I went. Then again I live in Silicon Valley so other parts of the country may be a bit different.

Point being other than the first month or so of ownership I've never really felt like I've had an exclusive device. The device itself though is very advanced for the smartphone market and I've really missed Safari since selling my 1st gen. I'm using my corporate 8310 and it's no fun. Come on July 11th!

6. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

For its worth, I have personally seen fewer than five iPhones in the wild. I don't spend a lot of time at malls, airports, etc. so maybe that is the reason?

However, I anticipate seeing a whole lot more once the new phones are released.

Jude

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, here in the San Francisco Bay Area, they're quite common, and that's the way I like it. I'll be riding the BART Train and several of us strike up a conversation and the ride seems to go much faster. I've always wondered what it's like for other iPhone owners outside of "The City By The Bay?":p

8. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Smartphones in general are not particularly popular in New Zealand, because they tend to be bulky and boring. So it'll be interesting to see how well the iPhone does when it launches next month. NZ will be the first place in the world to get it, and I intend to be in the vicinity of a Vodafone store at the time... :)

9. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have only ever seen ONE other in the wild. Crazy.

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I guess some people care less about how good a device is and care more about how many people dont have it.

11. Kupe macrumors member

True. My biggest concern with a phone is "Can you hear me?" not "Hey everybody look at me!!" ;)

12. friekunater macrumors 6502

I live in a small town in Illinois and I'm the only person aside from my friends mom (lol) to have an iPod touch/iPhone... but, when I go into Chicago... it's like a frickin iPhone infestation... I love it but it makes my touch feel very worthless...

13. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

I've only ever seen one other iPhone in the wild, though i know of another person who has one, but i've not seen them since they've had it

14. slicecom macrumors 68020

The iPhone will become the new Nokia 5190 or Razr (the phone that EVERYONE has). I'm not worried about it. I'm buying it because its simply the best phone money can buy.

15. mark34 macrumors 6502a

besides not caring what anyone else has.... they are everywhere!

16. cjandnw macrumors 6502

it's a good thing.. Martha stewart

It is a good thing if everyone has an iPhone. If all of your FRIENDS / Coworkers / Family have iPhones, and no one can send MMS; all pictures will HAVE to be emailed. Much better resolution and quality for both.
    Its a GOOD thing.

17. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

They're a dime a dozen here in NYC. Hell, I was at the US Open last year, and an old woman was sitting in front of us knew her way around the iPhone pretty well.

18. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

You will see more iPhones then Razrs.

Get over it, we are not the coolest anymore.

19. PAH Mac macrumors member

At least in the US, the iPhone will definitely not become as popular as iPods anytime soon. Even though the up-front cost of the device just dropped to a level that most can afford, MANY people will not be able to spend an additional $30 a month on a data plan. The cost of this phone is approx. $2000 over the two year contract and that is a big commitment.

20. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

:eek: I saw atleast 6 iPhones(including mine) when I went to the movies last sunday. And iPhone hasnt even launched here yet. You definitely need to go out more:D

21. Wildog27 macrumors member

Why does this even matter? Do you only buy something because it makes you feel special compared to everyone else? Perhaps you need a better sense of self-esteem, rather than finding it in a gadget.

22. sananda macrumors 68020

this may be reason why i've only seen about five other iphones in the wild :D

23. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Still the coolest phone, just maybe less unique. :) As said above, that's a good thing, more money more R&D.

24. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Noted. Good point.

25. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I suppose one reason to hope that they don't become too widespread is that then they more likely become the target of people who write viruses, spyware and other malicious code. I know that apple are trying to keep security tight but determined folk (particularly those with a profit motive!) will find a way if they think it is worth it.