Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't think so, but it really depends on if Apple were able to fix the light bleed issues they were experiencing with the new LCD. I expect high demand, but maybe it'll all even out in the end. You should be fine.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
It'll be their top selling phone by miles this year, but with as many color options as there are, I doubt it sells out. It will most likely just be a constant seller.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Shakes the 8-Ball:
3a42b15a3654c91b0274d8c44f022627.png

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
EVERYTHING depends on Apple's inventory. The number of skew number is large with different colors and different memory/carriers.

Much depends on how many they have to sell. Preorders will be interesting

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I think it's going to be very interesting to see how the Xr launch affects stock of the XS.

I personally know 6 people who are waiting for the Xr to launch to see if they are going to buy the Xr or XS.

I can see certain colours and size combinations being more popular than others and selling out.

Here in Canada you can get the 256GB Xr with apple care for $1,438 CAD. XS in 256 GB with apple care is $1,838. So a $400 difference between the two overall (assuming you are going to get apple care).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Is the situation with the modem the same as in the XS, meaning one modem works for all of a particular region? If so, will carrier branding be that important if I’m paying in full up front and just going to stick my existing Sim in? They don’t show an unlocked model right off like they did for XS/Max. At least not when I last looked.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
As long as the Xr doesn’t drop calls after a few seconds, I’m sure it will sell very well

That will be the saving grace of the Xr if it it's not plagued with Xs issues otherwise people will snatch up the X.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Whether the phone will sell out quickly or not depends more on Apple's supply chain and accumulated inventory. Apple pushed the release date by a month, which might satisfy the initial demand.

But my feeling is that XR will certainly sell out very quickly after the initial preorder date.

I don’t think it’ll sell out “crazy fast” due to the fact of the device being pricey for what it offers.
XR costs $50 more than last year's iPhone 8, while offering better camera, significantly larger edge-to-edge screen, Face ID, etc.

I also wouldn't underestimate Plus-sized iPhone users who does not value telephoto lens while wanting a smaller sized phone with a larger display. For them, XR is $50 cheaper.
[doublepost=1538760865][/doublepost]
That will be the saving grace of the Xr if it it's not plagued with Xs issues otherwise people will snatch up the X.
XR has iPhone 8 style antenna design, and FCC test results show similar performance as iPhone 8.

Reactions: Broadus

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
XR costs $50 more than last year's iPhone 8, while offering better camera, significantly larger edge-to-edge screen, Face ID, etc.

I also wouldn't underestimate Plus-sized iPhone users who does not value telephoto lens while wanting a smaller sized phone with a larger display. For them, XR is $50 cheaper.
I personally felt the 8+ was a much better deal and to be honest 3mm on the width and 8mm on the height is not significant enough to make a difference in terms of size for me. They are both big phones and the specs of the 8+ were enough of a draw combined with the extended wait for the XR.

Reactions: iMaxed R.P

cibonak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
Montreal
thanks everybody

what is important for me is the size (6`1) and the BATTERY (which is supposed to be the best among all iphones)

LCD or OLED i dont see much difference.... not a big deal

ill be there for preorder

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I personally felt the 8+ was a much better deal and to be honest 3mm on the width and 8mm on the height is not significant enough to make a difference in terms of size for me. They are both big phones and the specs of the 8+ were enough of a draw combined with the extended wait for the XR.
XR is not a small phone by any stretch of imagination. But about a tenth of an inch reduction in width and a third in height could make a good deal of difference to some folks. And you are getting larger overall display area than 8 Plus, which is also a plus.

As an XS user (my wife wants to get XR), I think the wide angle camera is just phenomenal, particularly smart HDR. If you value photography and low light video (and don't need telephoto lens), I think spending $50 over 8 Plus is a great upgrade.

iPhone XR next to XS Max (which is almost identical in size to 8 Plus):

DSC_0041_575px.jpg

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
XR is not a small phone by any stretch of imagination. But about a tenth of an inch reduction in width and a third in height could make a good deal of difference to some folks. And you are getting larger overall display area than 8 Plus, which is also a plus.

As an XS user (my wife wants to get XR), I think the wide angle camera is just phenomenal, particularly smart HDR. If you value photography and low light video (and don't need telephoto lens), I think spending $50 over 8 Plus is a great upgrade.

DSC_0041_575px.jpg

Are you sure that's an XR and an XS Max? I thought the XR had bigger bezels?

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
thanks everybody

what is important for me is the size (6`1) and the BATTERY (which is supposed to be the best among all iphones)

LCD or OLED i dont see much difference.... not a big deal

ill be there for preorder

TBO I'm more than happy with the XS battery. My 6S that had 96% battery capacity would last me until about noon on a typical day before I needed to plug it in (15-20% left). Now I'm usually still over 80% with the same amount of usage.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018

I don't think the answer is "Maybe". I don't know man, it might sell, possibly. I mean, perhaps it might. It conceivably could, but then again, it might not. Such a possibility is conceivable, but there are caveats that could lead to a direction in which it might not be.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

DSC_0041_575px.jpg
At the end of the day we all buy what we like and for me the extra £50 wasn’t worth it. This is why these handsets will appeal to different people. The telephoto lens has come in very useful for me, especially as an engineer who does a fair bit of product testing, the zoom has been great.

The physical size of these devices was clear to me when I said the 8+ is 3mm wider and 8mm taller as this is stated by Apple. To me that’s insignificant in terms of portability as both devices are large.

The positive of having a choice of devices is everybody gets the best device in their opinion. In terms of judging specs I was happy to consider the pros and cons and the 8+ came out in top for me.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
At the end of the day we all buy what we like and for me the extra £50 wasn’t worth it. This is why these handsets will appeal to different people. The telephoto lens has come in very useful for me, especially as an engineer who does a fair bit of product testing, the zoom has been great.

Right. If 2x telephoto camera is important, nothing can dissuade you to choose one without it.

But at the same time, I am frustrated by folks saying XR is a rip off as it clearly offers a superior value over last year’s line up.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Right. If 2x telephoto camera is important, nothing can dissuade you to choose one without it.

But at the same time, I am frustrated by folks saying XR is a rip off as it clearly offers a superior value over last year’s line up.
I wouldn’t say it’s a rip off but it’s still an expensive phone and doesn’t offer enough over last years line up to some people to warrant £50 more. It’s a good phone and I expect to to be the best selling new phone over the next 12 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.