Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cata M.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm going to buy the new Ipod Touch 5g. Some people say that it will be in white too. Do you think this is true?

Thanks in advance,
Cata :)

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
It's an interesting point. They Could but not necessarily will come out with a Touch that is just like the iPhone but have no cell phone contract. It would be able to connect with 3G to get data under a data only contract. The latest rumors say that the next iPhone will be completely redesigned and might look more like a Touch. http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/22/iphone-5-design/
"the design of the phone is set to radically change (“a completely redesigned handset”). Our sources say the new model (or at least one of the new designs in testing) looks “more like the iPod touch than the iPhone 4.” The phone will be thinner than the iPhone 4, and may have a “teardrop” shape which goes from thick to thin (something along the lines of the MacBook Air profile)."

If they can make an iPhone that is not much thicker than a Touch then it ceases to make any sense to keep them separate.
Sounds real interesting and coming sooner than later

Last edited:

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
ipod touch will never have 3G, thats why there is iPhone for people that want internet everywhere.

iPhone4 came out in white because it was orginally black, ipod touches are chrome which is why i highly doubt a white version of the 5G would come out. Plus there would be more issues since 5G's camera will be upgraded and Apple doesn't want to go through the whole color leaking incident again.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
ipod touch will never have 3G, thats why there is iPhone for people that want internet everywhere.

iPhone4 came out in white because it was orginally black, ipod touches are chrome which is why i highly doubt a white version of the 5G would come out. Plus there would be more issues since 5G's camera will be upgraded and Apple doesn't want to go through the whole color leaking incident again.

Not really considering the iPad 2 has a silver backing.

OP, good question. I'm willing to say "no" but you never know.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010

Superb insight, except for people who would rather pay $15 a month without a contract for Internet than sign onto $60/month for a 3-year phone/data plan, or people who already have a phone plan, or the fact that Apple is pushing iCloud and iTunes Match across their devices.

Cata M.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I hope Apple make an Ipod Touch 5g because I don't want to buy an Iphone because it is more expensive and some people like to steal those things.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I'm thinking Apple is working on TWO phones, hence the conflicting rumors lately. The second lower spec phone that is a complete redesign is going to be unlocked and contract free it will also replace the iPod Touch for those who want a contract-less device that also has cellular data and GPS.
So I would have to expect the Touch is going away to be replaced by the low cost iPhone which you can buy contract free. That way you get GPS and the ability to sign up for cellular data if you want it. You can probably use it as a pretty good Skype phone on WIFI. Apple wins with this strategy. That's my prediction.

It is probable that this low cost iPhone will not have the newest components and might have an A4 processor but an A5 is not really needed and you gain GPS so as long as the size is roughly the same and the cost, I expect most Touch users will call it good. Apple wins by ending the Touch model and the separate design and manufacturing costs it had.

Last edited:

Cata M.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm thinking Apple is working on TWO phones, hence the conflicting rumors lately. The second lower spec phone that is a complete redesign is going to be unlocked and contract free it will also replace the iPod Touch for those who want a contract-less device that also has cellular data and GPS.
So I would have to expect the Touch is going away to be replaced by the low cost iPhone which you can buy contract free. That way you get GPS and the ability to sign up for cellular data if you want it. Apple wins with this strategy. That's my prediction.

It is probable that this low cost iPhone will not have the newest components and might have an A4 processor but an A5 is not really needed and you gain GPS so as long as the size is roughly the same and the cost, I expect most Touch users will call it good. Apple wins by ending the Touch model and the separate design and manufacturing costs it had.

If that happens, I do not mind buying the iPhone.

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
I simply don't buy that rumor. Before the iPod touch gets the EOL status, we'll see at least a 128 GB version of it, so Apple has an iPod classic replacement (for a substantial higher cost ...). Nor do I believe in a white/black iPod Touch. They'll have the same metallic back - otherwise it'll be to similar to the iPhone 3G(s).

Last edited:

Cata M.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I simply don't by that rumor. Before the iPod touch gets the EOL statue, we'll see at least a 128 GB version of it, so Apple has an iPod classic replacement (for a substantial higher cost ...). Nor do I believe in a white/black iPod Touch. They'll have the same metallic back - otherwise it'll be to similar to the iPhone 3G(s).

Yeah, you're right :)
Thank you for the help

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Before white, they must get rid of the scratch magnet of a back. Put a back like the original iPhone, or glass like the current one. The back of all iPod Touches (and most iPods for that matter) just sucks because of how scratch prone it is.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Like This?

(made it myself)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 8.36.58 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 8.36.58 AM.png
    394.2 KB · Views: 147
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.