Will the lines be long?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by auero, Jun 11, 2009.

?

Will we see the typical long lines at the apple stores?

Poll closed Jun 25, 2009.
  1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Nope

75 vote(s)
    61.0%
  1. auero macrumors 65816

My buddy and I have been discussing if the lines at the Apple Store will be as long as they've been in the past. I've been to every single launch day since the first iPhone and the 3G launch was much better since they knew what to expect compared to the first generation launch. What we're puzzled about is if the lines weren't completely horrible last time around, maybe they'll be crowded this year? Think about it, all the original adopters are up for upgrades now. They can purchase the new iPhone at the discount price, an option which wasn't given last year really.

So what do you think? Will the stores be crowded? Or are people going to be pre-ordering?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yes, the lines will be long, but probably not as long as last years.

3. aluren macrumors 65816

i talked to apple and they said that if you order online, it's guaranteed that it'll arrive on the 19th, so the line will probably not be as long as the 3G line that you saw last year.

4. diabolic macrumors 68000

Since people can pre-order I'd think the lines will be significantly shorter. I know several people who've pre-ordered so they won't have to wait in line next Friday.

5. Jman14 macrumors 6502

According to Apple and ATT store.. they are backordered and will not have line available unless you pre-ordered

6. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Source?

7. Jman14 macrumors 6502

There was a thread posted here.. And ATT Store in Lee's Summit, MO and Apple Store in Leawood,KS.. I cant confirm this but according to them that is what is going on. I am on the phone with Apple headquarters now though to clarify

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think there will be lines but not to the extent of the 3G. Pre-orders and the magnitude of changes (not as much changed between the 3G and 3Gs then 2G and 3G) will mean a smaller lines. I don't know if they did this for the 3G but both ATT and apple are saying they'll open early (where allowed) to facilitate the sales.

I think people who are upgrading from a 2G or a 3G are mostly doing it online but those who are interested in getting their first iPhone will probably want to go in and do it in person in case there's a problem with activating, or switching their phone number

9. BassetCase macrumors member

I am guessing the lines will be shorter because people can pre-order online. For me I don't really care how long the line is, as long as I get one that day.
    I pre-ordered mine and paid for it at my local AT&T store. I just called them a few minutes ago to ask them about the process and they told me mine will have my name on it so I can just pick it up. I guess that might be why they could be on backorder since each one that is already paid for is reserved for someone. I bet people who didn't pre-order and pay already will have a harder time getting one on launch day.

10. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

11. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually I was hoping to find someone who might have a crystal ball.

It's an opinion thread. That's the purpose of a poll, to see what the vast majority thinks.

12. Andruw91 macrumors regular

No line at my house, since I will be the only one at my mailbox waiting for it

13. Versus macrumors member

Good point. To those that ordered from an ATT store and have a reciept, you can clearly see that it reads:

Then right beneath that information: "Your iPhone has been reserved...7 days to pick up after being notified"

14. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Yes they will be long but NOWHERE NEAR as long as last year

Last year there was no online ordering
    Last year you HAD to activate IN STORE which took a consinderably longer amount of time for each purchase
    Last year they had major problems with the instore activation, which made it take even LONGER for each person

I just got mine at apple.com, it will be at my house when I get home from work on friday :D

15. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

LOL, same thing going on at my house.:D

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Question - could you use a personal shop booking for Friday 19th at store opening, and get in early? (looks like you'd need to reserve for a specific store tonight/tomorrow morning).

17. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

If I remember correctly, last year someone tried to do that and they either weren't allowed or the store called back to reschedule.

18. diabolic macrumors 68000

I think they cancelled the personal shopper appointments on the release day last year.

19. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Yes.

They will go on for Ever, And Ever, And Ever, And Ever, And Ever, And Ever, And Ever, And Ever. Hey, if you get there late, you might be first in line for next years!

20. Shaan macrumors member

All stores do not allow you to make an appointment for Friday the 19th.

21. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

No.

After all the hype last year, I seriously doubt long lines after the initial fanboys queue up in the morning so they have the cool-factor when they go to work. With the on-line pre-ordering, the better activation process and ample stock in the USA, the lines will be modest to short after 8am. Also, keep in mind that millions have 3Gs from last year and are, like me, not willing to pay $100-$300 to get a new phone because of faster processor and improved camera capabilities...which i rarely use anyway.

I will wait for next year's model and enjoy the much needed 3.0 software in the mean time. This should give the players time to fix the biggest improvement needed in the iphone to begin with: ATTs crappy network, or, the "Land of the Dropped Calls and no 3G Speed" as it is known in San Diego

:eek:

22. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

What a lame ass post sorry what a question to ask please were you for the last release. What is with all these dump posts, do some of the people just sit around and post for the he'll of it, sorry for ranting. I have one on order and after reading all these lame ass post I'm almost over the phone and I have not even got it yet

23. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

What's with all these dumb ranting posts? Carry on, no one is forcing you to reply.

24. Shabbis macrumors regular

Actually, there is significantly more hardware changes between the 3G and 3GS, especially compared to the 2G to 3G upgrade.

2G to 3G upgrade was just the communication chip, no other changes.

3G to 3GS includes new camera, new processor, new graphics chip, memory upgrade, storage upgrade and magnetometer.

25. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

This poll is kinda like asking "should i wait by my mailbox in a lawn chair under an umbrella waiting for the mail man?" :rolleyes: