Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnkmcq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
My four year old laptop is slowly dying. In my next purchase, ac-WiFi and a Haswell processor (i.e. 10+ hour battery life) will be important to me because I won't update for another four years or so. I would love to have these options on a 15" screen. Do I wait it out trusting that there will be a release before the end of the year with these features or do I settle for the 13" Air right now?

Also, any speculations on the basic model price and release date?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Are you referring to the retina or non-retina models?

An updated Macbook Pro would almost certainly have 802.11ac and Haswell processors, just like the Air.

There has been a lot of speculation about whether or not the non-retina models will get updated at all. The most recent Macbook Pro update was in February 2013, with minor spec bumps and price adjustments to the retina models. The non-retina models did not get the slightly faster processors, which supports the idea that Apple may not be interested in updating them anymore.

As far as when an update would happen, before the end of the year is almost certain. Since Apple has in the past released updated products right after an investor earnings call, some have speculated that there might be an update this week since there is an earnings call on the 23rd.

That's really just speculation though, realistically the updates could come next week or anytime afterwards, but probably no later than November since Apple likes to finish all of their updates for the year well before the end of the holiday shopping season.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Based on your post, suggest you either look for a 2013 15 inch rMBP at discounted prices (Apple refurbished, Best Buy open box, etc.) or wait a few months for the next generation rMBP, which should have Haswell and the ac wifi. The issue with the new one is that no one knows as of yet the official release date, some people speculate will be this week (23rd), others that will be in sept/oct or as far as next year. The screen of the 13 inch Haswell MBA does not compares favorably against the one in the current 13 and 15 inch rMBP's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.