Will the new iPhone have a finger print sensor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loug116, Aug 30, 2012.

1. loug116 macrumors member

First post here, but what do people think; is the cut away I've highlighted in my image a position for the authentec AES2750?(http://www.authentec.com/a/Production/smartsensors_mobile/AES2750.aspx), Remember Apple now owns Authentec, the company which manufactures the AES2750.

Here's Authentec's brief description of the AES2750:

[​IMG]

It looks to me like the cut away I've highlighted has a protective film covering the glass beneath, if the film is removed, the sensor can operate through the glass.

http://twitter.com/lougreenwood/status/241153673168834560

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Seems very un-Apple like to me. Had it before on a pc and it was a complete gimmick.

3. loug116 thread starter macrumors member

Touch also seemed gimmicky until apple released the original iPhone.

Don't forget that Apple bought the company which produces this technology, they paid a 60% premium too.

----------

Try holding your iPhone (either left or right handed) and you'll find that your index finger naturally sits exactly where this is positioned.

Touch to unlock is just the beginning...

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Didn't Apple just buy them (within the past couple months)? If so, it wouldn't make it into this generation. It takes a long time to implement stuff like this.

Apple bought Siri in 2010 (months before iPhone 4 was released) & it wasn't released until Oct. 2011 (well over a year and a half later).

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

You have a point, but it would only make sense if they put NFC in the phone. Which the rumors are now leading us to believe that won't be the case.

My friend's Dad is a software engineer who is working on NFC in cell phones, but he doesn't know what phones will have and which won't. He told me about it last year... My feelings are still the same, that is too much valuable stuff/info in one place. He was telling us how they are testing it as being your car keys as well. Using the tech that push to start cars with a proximity keys use. Other stuff as well

----------

This makes more sense, since it seems that NFC will not be a part of this iPhone...

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

I wondered the same thing. Although I'd be surprised if it makes it into the iPhone this year, it sure does look like it's a possibility for the future given the cutout in the back. Hard to get info on the physical dimensions of that sensor though, and the way they describe it, it looks like it has to be fully exposed (not behind glass).

The main point of the sensor is to read a print as your finger glides across it. Combined with NFC, which is also supposedly not included in the next iPhone, it's primarily for mobile payment.

Maybe Apple's thinking ahead and plans to put it in next year. Who knows - but it's fun to guess.

7. loug116 thread starter macrumors member

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'll admit that my first reaction was dismissal b/c it does seem gimicky, but if anyone could make it work and "revolutionize" something of this nature, it's :apple:.

WMT

9. loug116 thread starter macrumors member

Here's the dimensions:
    13.5mm x 3.0mm(click specifications on this page - http://www.authentec.com/a/Production/smartsensors_mobile/AES2750.aspx)

Why would apple include a cutout in this generation iPhone for a feature which won't be available in this product? What happened to doubling down on leaks?!

NFC doesn't seem possible according to the recent (i forget the source) article, but before the iPhone 4s, no one imagined a dual antenna phone either. It seems the limiting factor for NFC in iPhone 5 is the technical difficulties for NFC antenna placement. If I've learnt one thing about Apple, it's that they come up with some ingenious workarounds to 'technical impossibilities'.

10. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I see a lot of people saying things such as this.... It really makes me laugh and makes me wonder what kind of ego someone needs to say such a thing. What qualification do you or any one else that says that have to decide what is and isn't apple? I saw such statements leading up to the 3g, 4, 4s and now the i5. I especially enjoy those that believe all the recent part leaks is simply a plan by apple to throw people off and a brand new design will be unveiled.

Truth is none of us know what is and isn't apple..... Only those that make the design decisions know what is or isn't "apple". Projecting your own opinion towards a product or product design and saying it's un-apple is pretty silly.

As far as the i5 having a fpr, who knows. I don't really care either way.

11. loug116 thread starter macrumors member

One very simple example of a real world feature this would enable is soft multi-user.

One thing which really confuses me is why Facebook or twitter apps don't have a built in passcode for those moments when I let someone else use my iPhone.

If the device would recognise me (touch) vs a guest (pin) certain apps could be unavailable (user specified). No extra overhead for the main user whilst providing increased security.

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That would actually be really cool. Then I wouldn't have to worry about a some kids that I let use my phone writing awigojawoigjwiotgw on my facebook wall or texting people

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I do see what you're saying, and I also agree with it. However these specific apps can't do that (at the app level) because they are baked in to iOS now. Well, twitter is today, facebook will be in a few weeks. You can add multiple twitter accounts in settings, but there is no block when switching freely between them within the twitter app.

multi-user is something I honestly just assumed the iPad did out of the box. I was surprised when I learned otherwise. I can't wait for multi-user on the iPad and I think maybe it could be cool on the iPhone as well. Something that concerns me is security though, another user can't be allowed to access an app like "find my phone" because that can cause obvious trouble. One day I'm sure they will figure it all out, but not this year.

----------

remember the iPod touch? It had a cut out for a camera. Yet, there was no camera. Apple pulled the camera last minute.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Fingerprint readers were quite popular on PDAs starting about ten years ago.

The 2002 iPAQ had one. The 2007 Toshiba G900 (the first "retina" smartphone) did too. As did a ton of other devices and phones:

Picture list of handhelds through the years with fingerprint sensors

(Scroll down. It's a long list.)

A lot of those used Authentic sensors.

16. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Hmmmm, I can see this coming but not for this iPhone, mostly due to the merger happening only a short time ago. More likely the 2013 iPhone, but I would be surprised to see it this year, could be that "one more thing."

17. SR71 macrumors 68000

Doesn't seem very Apple-like. It definitely wouldn't make it into the next iPhone, but possibly the one after that. And if anything, they'd put the fingerprint sensor into the home button. I can see it now, simply hold your finger over the home button and it'll unlock. The same could be done for Apple's rumored iWallet. Simply swipe your iPhone over an NFC compatible sensor, verify your purchase by letting it scan your fingerprint on the home button, and you're done. Easy and secure. It just works.

18. loug116 thread starter macrumors member

Home button might sound nice and futuristic, but having it mounted on the back where a finger is always present is much more usable, that is if it's hidden behind the glass....

I'm wondering why people think that if Apple have been speaking with Authentec about this since 2011, and they rushed the purchase through recently, why it's still at least a year away? It's a relatively simple component to integrate, iOS would require some work, but nothing like the scale of Siri. The sensor is a pre-packaged product, which is available on the market today, and apple have patents for this kind of stuff dating back years, so presumably software prototypes too.

19. SR71 macrumors 68000

Sources for them in talks about this back in 2011? I was under the impression that they just recently started having these talks.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Yes they just purchased them, however that could be to prevent others from easily using the same fingerprint technology in their phones....

They could have easily integrated this into the phone. If they also added NFC - and one rumor to the contrary doesn't rule it out in my mind - that would be a very nice security addition.

21. dotme macrumors 6502a

22. loug116 thread starter macrumors member

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It would be nice, but I doubt this will happen in the next iPhone. Which is good for me, since I am still in contract. :p

24. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

If it could be done with Apple reliability I would welcome it. I absolutely hate having to use a pin number for a lock. With one swipe of a finger providing both the security unlock and bring up the home screen at the same time would be wonderful. I'd much rather have that than facial recognition unlock that has been tried before.

25. polotska macrumors 6502

I’d be very surprised if it happened, but I’ve always found the fingerprint reader a handy option on my ThinkPads.