will the new mac pro be comparable to this?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hansolo1999, Jan 15, 2010.

1. hansolo1999 macrumors newbie

i would buy it today if apple made it and it run osx, now im just waiting..for the mac pro refresh and hope its at least this good, what do you think? will be be at least this good?
    Base Features
    Processor Type Intel Core i7-920
    Processor Speed 2.66GHz
    RAM 12 GB DDR3
    Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 1 TB (7200 RPM) SATA
    Optical Drives 16x Super Multi DVD±R/RW
    Graphics ati 5850 1gb
    Pre-loaded Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium
    Graphics
    Dedicated Video Memory No
    Shared Video Memory No
    TV Tuner No
    Video Memory 1792 MB
    Display
    HDCP Compliant Not Applicable
    Native Screen Resolution Not Applicable
    Screen Size/Type Not Applicable
    Audio
    Audio Output HD Audio With 7.1-Channel Audio Support
    Digital Input No
    Digital Output No
    Integrated Microphone No
    Line Out Yes - Back
    Line-In input Yes - Back
    Microphone Input Yes - Front & Back
    Sound Card Intel X58
    Speaker Wattage Not Applicable
    Speakers No
    Networking
    Ethernet Port Yes - RJ-45
    Integrated Bluetooth No
    Integrated WiFi No
    Inputs/Outputs
    Card Reader Yes - Multi-In-1
    Component Output No
    Composite Output No
    DVI Output Yes
    E-SATA Yes
    FireWire (IEEE 1394) 2 - 1 Front, 1 Back
    HDMI No
    Keyboard Full-Size
    Modem No
    Mouse Standard
    Remote No
    S-Video Output No
    USB 2.0 4 - Front, 6 - Back
    VGA Output Yes
    Webcam No
    Computing Features
    Available AGP Slots Not Applicable
    Available Hard Drive Bays 3 Internal 3.5" (Available)
    Available Memory Slots 6 Total (0 Available)
    Available Optical Bays External 5.25" (1 Available)
    Available PCI Slots Not Applicable
    Available PCI-E Slots PCI Express X16 slot (1 Available, 1 Occupied), PCI Express X4 (1 Available), PCI Express X1 (1 Available)
    Power Supply 750 Watts
    Processor Cache 8 MB L2
    Removable Storage No

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Well the current Mac Pro has the same processor performance and can have the same amount of memory and storage. The difference is the graphics card, and the new Mac Pros will not likely have the 5850, but the 5870. probably won't have build in card reader or e-sata.

We don't really know what processor choices the 2010 single processor Mac Pros will have, it could be faster for the same money or faster for more money or continue with the same processors they use now with the only new processor (3.33GHz 6 core) as an extra option. A 2.80GHz model replaces current 2.66GHz Nehalem models (i7-920 and W3520) next week, so maybe the base Mac Pro would just be moved to that with new graphics cards.

3. hansolo1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

the waiting to know what this refresh will be like is passing so slow it seems like years, i have been saving the money for it for the last few years a little at a time and i want to spend it on the mac pro before my wife gets any weird ideas
    would be good if 12 gb is standard and at least 1 tb hard drive, for the processor i think for sure it will be an i7

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you are totally clueless. i7? it's a desktop cpu, not workstation.

furthermore the next mac pro will contain a (or two) gulftown 6 core Xeon cpu

12gb standard won't happen. I'll bet 25% of the mac pro users arent using that much.

5. G4DP macrumors 65816

Talk about lazy, couldn't even bother to remove coming with Windows 7 pre-installed.

Do some research and stop being a lazy ****!

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If it lets Apple hike up their profit margin to (even more) ridiculous levels, dropping Xeon in favor for a desktop chip would be their first move (besides using the lowest-clocked RAM available for the chipset*cough)

7. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Wait for the refresh. Apple will convince you to buy a Pro. ;)

8. hansolo1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh trust me, they dont have to convince me, i will only buy apple, there is no way that i would spend my hard earned money on any type of pc and windows, apple is the only way for me
    i guess its just because after so many months of hard saving i finally have the money put away...now all i need is the refresh... but its not here, its going by to slow!!

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I see standard an option for a 6-core Mac Pro at 3GB and an option for a 12-core (2 Gulftown Xeon counterparts) still at 6GB with BTOs up to 32GB.

The rest of system specs I expect the same except for the GPU, which I can see Apple using either the newer 5830 or 5850. In a twist of fate, the 5870.

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I don't know about this, the place Apple is in with the workstation market is either screwing them over (moreso than now) with profit margins, or realizing that they need to aggressively price/configure because the machine is being sold to the most aware of all their customer base.

They could either make an overhaul and/or lower the price, or they could make the least change possible and hike profits. Hopefully for those of us who rely on the Mac Pro, it will be the first one :(

11. PrinceAvalon macrumors member

Despite how it once was in the older days, the Xeon isn't really indifferent from the desktop line.

Years ago sure they WERE different, the Xeon was a completely different fabrication and process altogether from the Pentiums. Now they're basically the same but what gets branded and i7 is usually the b- or c chips so it doesn't deserve the higher price and durability the name Xeon entails.

So the Xeons will yes still outrun a desktop in the long run if you get a good enough one and OC it enough you can match virtually the workstation level. However, one should not the server/workstation boards can allow 2 CPU's on the same board so if you run 2 there is likely no way you'll match that cause no desktop CPU can OC double or over 2x the standard clocks. Even if you use Liquid Nitrogen to cool, and Intels don't like that cold as much as AMD's do so you're even less likely to OC a single to trade blows with 2 WS grade CPU's.

Same is true with WS and Desktop graphics. Most of the desktop cards or alot anyways are the same board as the WS, it's not the hardware that makes the WS GPU's so pricey. It's the unparalleled drivers; way better written drivers, and support from the manufacturer you pay for.