Will the new MacBook Pro have soldered SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Jun 21, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

With bean counter CEO Tim Cook at the wheel, Apple has been trying squeeze every penny out of its customers.

We see this with soldered RAM in the Mac Mini, iMac, etc.

We also see this with soldered SSD in the MacBook Retina.

What are the chances that the new MacBook Pro Retina will have soldered SSD?

2. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

Hmmmm.... after consulting my crystal ball I am told that the answer is yes.

But as we know crystal balls can be notoriously inaccurate.

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

That's so cool! I should get one!

4. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

They might solder the SSD and the power button....and battery....and if Tim is crazy he might glue the computer so that you can't open the MacBook Pro....and solder the mbp box.

5. iMacC2D, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

As soon as your MacBook Pro breaks, you should schedule an appointment so that the Apple's "Genius" can throwaway your "old" MacBook Pro and sell you a new one.

7. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Hahah ikr? Too many profit making method actually interferes with user experience.

8. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Apple will give you a 5% discount on a new MacBook Pro for recycling your old one.

9. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Well besides that...lol

10. Woochoo macrumors 6502

It's already happening right now: it's called iPad and it's where Apple is leading to (computer-wise). They have said it many times, and the lack of Mac refresh cycle shows they are giving less importance to Macs as the time goes by. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the last redesign of the Macbook Pro's we'll get.

11. pat500000, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Looks like people will have to leave Apple if they want laptop.

12. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Didn't Tim Cook said a while ago that we should toss out our Macs and get iPad Pro(s) instead?

13. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

As matter of fact...yes. At one point during interview, he stated that iPad or idevices will be the future. Apparently, that transition is happening at this moment. I'm not sure if lack of updates on hardware is the real indicator but his focuse on iMessage and software in general might be.

Personally, I don't think it's feasible....especially if you are doing editing .

14. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

Yeah, and I suppose we should all get rid of our 4WDs, SUVs, Pick-ups etc. and drive $hitty little hatchbacks too? ;)

15. monstruo macrumors regular

monstruo

I encountered several cases where SDD failed abruptly, the replacement cost for apple ssd was so ridiculous.

Tim is so adamant to allow Jony's obsession with thinness and replacing all the standard connectors with apple proprietary ones. Forgo all means and ways of end users to service, upgrade and prolong these machines.

So much so of advocating Apple's green effort, rather his ways to satisfy the boards and keep his designation as a director. The man is just simply doing his job.

16. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

This goes for all macs as of late. I hear you. It s currently so bad that Apple must hate themselves or something. This is why I don't advocate Apple method. I know some people would say "if you don't like Apple...move on." This is serious in a sense that after Apple care warranty is over..now what? Buy a new one? Lot of people wants keep their Mac products for a long time.
    I rather sell my Mac to elsewhere than Apple. I don't care about green saving thing.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, that Apple will keep the current design in place. I've been wrong before but I think it makes offering different configurations a bit less expensive, i.e., don't have to have prebuilt 512GB, 256GB, and 1TB Logic boards prebuilt, but rather a logic board and then install the storage that the buyer wants.

18. jerryk, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68020

I don't think they will solder in the SSD. That would make them more expensive to manufacturer and stock, cutting into profit margins, and not save much space. A M.2 module is small, about like a stick of gum, and not much thicker, so has minimal impact on the thinness craze Apple is on.

However, I do expect them to continue to use a proprietary interconnection so you have to get the SSD from Apple. Such a shame. We run Samsung PCIe M.2 NVMe modules in our desktops and our disk speed are even faster than those in the latest rMBPs

19. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Apple can take the iPad Pro and shove it up their ass. :p

20. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

If they have one .lol

21. Woochoo macrumors 6502

That was my point, Apple might be doing the last Macbooks redesign this year to keep their computer customers happy, but seeing the route Apple is taking, I wouldn't bet Macbooks are futureproof anymore (not specifically speaking about models, but about about the computers themselves). I hope I'm wrong, Apple stops focussing iPads instead of Macs, and they start giving love to Macs and Mac OS.

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

iPads have already had their day computers will be back in fashion next year and Apple will continue making them, my word the over-reaction and drama queening that goes on on this forum is making me slightly nauseous....

23. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

You got that right. There needs to be a special sub-forum for those who feel so heavily slighted and aggrieved because Apple didn't make them their own personally tailored MBPro.

24. Queen6, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Academic really, as the like the current SSD the connector will be proprietary to Apple, anyone seeking a storage upgrade path, then Apple is not for you.

Q-6
    --- Post Merged, Jun 24, 2016 ---
    Sideways :eek::p

Q-6

25. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Of course it will be soldered/glued in. Apple wants you to pay full price, up front, for all projected needs you may ever have, from your MBP.

Bean counters and supply chain zealots are in charge.

The ONLY hope I can hold onto, is the iPhone SE. That potentially showed a modicum of listening to customers. But I'll still have my doubts that it was even that.

When they kept the same form factor for the 2014 Mac mini, yet glued everything in, that showed us that Apple no longer cares about consumers, IMHO.