Will the next MBP disappoint?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vlug, Aug 3, 2016.

?

Will the next MBP Disappoint or be a Success

1. Success! (Not just in sales)

2. Disappoint (probably time to forget the PRO in this line)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. vlug macrumors 6502

There has been a lot of b*tching in the Waiting for Skylake MBP thread from me included. I am getting considerably annoyed with the way Apple operates, refresh cycles/price/specs etc

Ultimately though when the next MBP arrives and it almost certainly will, not knowing any real specs or having any decent rumours to go by, what is your gut feeling?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

We actually have quite a bit of decent rumours to go by. Have you not been following along?

3. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

A possible OLED touchbar which could be pointless/sh*t?
    Touch ID ? should be expected the iPhone TouchID works well enough so why not.

What else? we have no real confirmed rumours, lots of speculation about the GPU and such but no leaks. What have I missed?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Doesn't really sound like you've missed anything. But there's no such thing as confirmed rumours, so it's pointless hoping for it.
    We know which Intel CPUs will be used, AMD Polaris is a good bet for GPU, it'll have Thunderbolt 3, and there's been a few part leaks of the body. And the OLED bar with some probability.

I'd say we have a pretty good idea what it'll be like.

5. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

Errr yes there is such a thing as confirmed rumour, this is when it turns in to fact and pictures of parts start leaking, specs/parts start appearing in the Apple Store databases or from affiliated companies.

Anyway we have gone off track a little.

Ultimately I am not expecting a dedicated graphics like I want, but if Apple come's out with something good enough, decent amount of ports, maybe a 16" version, ill be happy and stick with them. my vote in the poll goes towards disappoint and I will compromise a little and purchase one if its good enough, as I am invested enough in OSX/macOS to want to stay in the eco system.

I hope I'm wrong but my gut is it will disappoint and it will be time to move on.

6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

There will always be those that whine and snivel about something.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

With the unreasonable expectations that some have, I expect that many will be disappointed.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 23.19.28.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 23.19.41.png

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I won't be disappointed from all I've heard they are making exactly the machines I want to buy.

10. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

It won't disappoint me because I'm not planning to buy it. The model after that might tempt me, if I am spared for so long.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2016 ---
    That's for sure.

11. bhayes444, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

You do realize they used the adjective form of confirm right? Which would mean that a once unknown, but speculated, outcome is now certain. It essentially moves a rumor to being a fact.

You are technically right though, and confirmed rumor isn't real because a rumor that has been confirmed is known as a fact.

12. Abaganov macrumors regular

all and only USB C will suck , and its kind of likely

13. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

There are -always- a number of folks who will be "disappointed" because the new product release doesn't meet "their expectations".

But I sense the new MacBook Pro will incorporate quite a few technology improvements.
    And it will enjoy good-to-excellent sales numbers, as well.

14. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

It won't disappoint me because I finally woke up sold my MacBook Pro, that I don't really need, and got myself a iPad Pro 12 inch instead. Now I'm happy. :)

15. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I do. Verbal adjectives don't always have their own entries in dictionaries, so I had to resort to the underlying verb for my post.
    You very convincingly explained my point, though, so thanks for that.

16. Appleaker macrumors 68000

No it won't be a disappointment at all unless they remove the dGPU option on the 15".
    I expect the storage may no longer be upgradeable as well but hopefully the options are cheaper.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2016 ---
    They need to push USB-C as the next standard to get more companies to make accessories for it rather than USB A. if they added it alongside other USB A ports nobody would bother using it. The only reason the rest are USB C is because of TB 3, HDMI was bound to go in a redesign due to the thickness of it.
    There was a massive gap on the left side that could be for a MagSafe connector however when a USB C port is placed there, it aligns with the other side so maybe not.
    I think that the 13" body leak was a controlled leak by Apple in order to see the reaction to the decision. Hopefully we do see an SD card slot on the 13".

17. jerryk macrumors 68030

USB C will be great. Get a few adapter cables and your legacy devices work. Being able to charge from any port and getting 40 GB/sec speed is great. Assuming the gpu is fast enough that is enough to drive multiple 5K displays at once. The merger of Thunderbolt 3 into the USB-C spec is a real winner for us users.

18. Abaganov macrumors regular

Why me as a consumer and somebody who is paying apple top dollar need to "forced" to adapt to using only USB C? reality is that currently there are almost no devices that support it so we all going to have to use dongles everywhere , this is why we pay premium? to use dongles?

so yeah we all get it , USB C is the future , USB C is awesome , but apple need to stop experimenting on her clients and just focus on providing the best product they can.
    Which IMO in this case is a device that - yes have 1 or 2 USB-C (mostly for future proof reasons) but doesn't aggressively just push out all the other connectors 99% of the population still uses in this present time.

19. Appleaker macrumors 68000

It also forces companies to produce accessories for it. Its like how removing the iPhone headphone jack will hopefully push more wireless headphones that are better and better quality as more effort is put towards the wireless standard over 3.5mm.
    Anyway, I think that they should at least have 1 USB A for compatibility but to be honest, it's quite a large port so may force them to thicken the chassis to accommodate it.

20. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Changes to port standards have always been annoying, I'm still pining for RS232 and Centronics! But we all have to bite that bullet of change however much we moan about it.

21. pmau macrumors 65816

Please ... don't ... not another thread.

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Very much agree, however the problem is that Apple`s all or nothing approach will be problematic for many, especially those with multiple Mac`s and associated peripherals. After over a year of using my Retina MacBook in a professional role, I have yet to come across one peripheral that can natively connect to the MacBook`s USB C port, without the need for an adaptor. This is fine for a notebook being used in an ultraportable business role, not so much for the MBP and it`s heavier/broader usage.

I am sure for many of us depending on our MBP`s for work purpose the combination of USB A 3.0 & USB C/TB-3 would be a far better solution, equally that will likely interfere with Apple`s obsession of Thin & Light over usability and practicality, it`s not about what the next Gen MBP is going to be, more what the Mac could have become.

For me the compromises that Apple is now making for the sake of just being thinner far outweigh the benefit`s that Apple and OS X once offered. I need the MBP to be an effective desktop replacement, not a tricked up Air, with the option of Pink...

Q-6

23. jerryk macrumors 68030

I disagree with this. The pro model is for heavier duty work. Having the USB-C and more importantly ThunderBolt 3 is a big win for power users. I would love to have a dock on my desk that connected to 2-4K or 5K monitors, ethernet, USB 3 devices, my keyboard and mouse, and charge the rMBP over a single cable.

Sure they will be bumps along the road, but the sooner we commit to the USB-C/TB-3 the better. And already you are seeing devices with USB-C ports only. I just bought a Samsung T3 SSD portable drive. USB-C connector only. Unfortunately it is 3.1/2.0 compatible only, but I suspect the T5 will have TB-3 support.

24. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think the problem is everyone has certain needs. what describes a pro machine? ask a video editor what they want and it will be different from an iOS developer.
    As a video editor with a mac pro going by the 2015 specs, the specs of a top 15" machine in a 13" body. I rather have the ultra portable for quick edits. But i know that's not going to happen more then likely. I would prob order a 15" maxed out. I would like 32 gigs of ram, 1tb of flash, USB 3, TB2/3 and USB C and the SD Card slot. Will that happen i don't know.

Will it disappoint, I don't know. I do love the looks of the new Macbook if they could make it look like it but add the hardware. (i know the thickness would have to increase for heat etc) I just know if it includes only USB C its going to piss off a lot of video editors who have TB/USB 3 drives. It needs to have the legacy ports USB/TB.