Will the prices come down in a few months?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plerb, Oct 15, 2008.

1. plerb macrumors newbie

Simple question. I have only been looking to buy a macbook for a few months now (I got my G5 in '06 for free), so I haven't been following Apple's product strategy for very long. I just want to know if it's common for prices on macbooks or any products to come down after a few months, like when they do spec bumps? Or was that kind of a one time deal with the iphones? I don't want to pay an early adopter tax if I don't have to. Any help would be much appreciated :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple never drops prices on computer hardware unless there's a revision.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

iPhone

Well, I am inclined to guess that the answer is yes, it is LIKELY for price drops. I base this on the ECONOMY. And in the past, Apple has learned from overpricing its products like the iPhone. I think that Apple has been selling a lot of laptops, but I think they will do the math and see that by lowering the price on the MacBook they can actually sell a ton of them and make more money.

For the greatest reason of all, it will improve the value of the stock for Apple's stakeholders. Seriously, the recent rumors led to reports saying an $899 MacBook could raise Apple's revenue by 50 to 100%!

As a financial expert, I would be inclined to think that the MacBook has a $100 or $200 margin in excess of need to make an Apple like margin and ability to seriously change the Apple notebook position in the marketplace forever with a $999 aluminum MacBook come January. It would also further justify the MacBook Pro updates to processors and max ram and etc for the higher price tag.

Just my opinion. But financially it makes sense.

4. jasonrm macrumors member

jasonrm

I think the iPhone drop is worthy of mention, but only because of how rare Apple does such price drops. As far as I have seen, Apple does not drop prices, or even fluctuate prices based upon market trends and prices. The cost for upgrading memory in the base models will be the same until they do a spec refresh, even if the market is flooded with cheap ram, I don't think I've seen the prices drop before a spec update.

If you're looking for a price drop, take a look at the "Buyer's Guide" and see if you are willing to wait.

I know for me, I just bought the top of the mine MBP. I know in a few months I'm going to say, "ouch", but to me, those extra months of having it will be worth taking the up front hit.

As headline grabbing as it sounds, I don't think that Apple is going to do that. There are many reason why not. I think John Gruber nails where the rumor came from, and based on with Tim Cook said on stage, I just don't see Apple going to $899 unless it can still maintain that high profit margin.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I rather doubt it. Apple tend to drop prices when new products are launched, when they wish to clear out the previous generation models, (and these are usually quite generous discounts), and occasionally (but quite rarely) announce a price cut, as they did with the iPhone. However, I would not count on it. What may happen in perhaps, January, could be an "event", designed to tie in with some updates, or a rabbit-out-of-hat episode (such as the MBA launch last January); such as occasion could well lead to an announcement of a price drop. However, this is pure speculation.
    Cheers

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

There's also the new computer tax.

My plan is to wait a couple months until there are refurbs of the new MacBooks. Also, this will give time for more reviews and issues to be discussed.

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It is unlikely that apple will reduce the price. I don't think that apple have ever dropped the price on a computer until the next model has come out. Even then it is unusual.

8. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Waiting couple of months for 200 dollars? Try to find a uni student buy with his-her ID. You will get a new machine for nearly same price of a refurbished machine.

9. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Drop prices???? You'll just have to wait for a refurb;)

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it would be quite unusual, especially for the macbooks

11. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

12. plerb thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I was thinking this whole update feels unfinished or messy or something, with Apple leaving the white macbook and the 17" pro for sale but they probably just want to clear stock. Of course then you have them reducing the student discount and increasing prices, and that seems strange but maybe they want to target a different (more affluent) audience with this update. Then again, I'm kind of naive about peoples' shopping habits because I was really shocked to find out recently how many people are living lives they can't afford using credit/debt, so maybe Apple's not worried about losing sales at all, even in the economic meltdown.

Will Apple introduce an entry-level "fun" macbook in Jan? Or maybe they'll bump specs and cut the mid-level's price down and make it the entry-level? Or are they just going to have two macbooks and focus more on pros from now on?

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

13. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I think, when the Macbooks are updated next, the white Macbook will be discontinued, the current 2GHz Aluminium Macbook will become the new bottom line Macbook with the $999 price tag, and we'll see 2 higher spec models.

It doesn't really make sense that they've left 1 model still using plastic, especially since at Macworld, SJ stated that all plastic models would be replaced by Aluminium by the end of the year.

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Americans need to remember their currency is currently performing quite well, at least compared to the last few years. It's people in other countries that are currently paying the price - with tax the new MacBook is $1640 in the UK.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The simple answer: No. Apple prices never go down. Apple tends to replace models with improved models at the same price. For a short time, the old models will turn up on the Apple Store in the "refurbished" section, so right now you could get an old MacBook or MacBook Pro model at a very nice price; it probably won't last long.