Will the redesigned mbp's have an ODD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 12, 2011.

?

Will the next mbp still have an ODD.

1. Nope. Out with the old.

66 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Yes. It's still to early to remove it

54 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    When the mbp's get redesigned (whether it's in 2012 or later) do you think Apple will take a cue from the mba's and remove the disc drive? Apple wasn't afraid to remove the floppy drive ahead of it's time. How often do you actually use it?

"too early to remove it". Wish you could edit poll options...

2. Chiuy macrumors 6502

Just bought the MBP 13" 3 weeks ago... I have yet used it.
    I basically download everything online now.
    The only CDs I actually have are probably games, but those are for Windows.
    I'm pretty sure you can now buy digital download though, including movies.

But it would be nice to have a blu-ray player.

3. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

There is nothing an external optical can't do if necessary.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't think they will just yet. Maybe in the 13", but at the same time that would probably annoy people that want to do the optibay. I see no reason to get rid of it in the 15" or 17" honestly, there is plenty of space for everything that needs to be there, even with the optical there. It would only be beneficial in the 13" to put in a dedicated GPU. If they were to remove it to make it thinner, they may as well just make it an air.

5. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Even though I voted yes on the poll the fact that Lion will be download only makes me wonder if the ODD on the MBP is on the way out.

6. tombubi macrumors regular

This is an interesting question. I am looking forward to seeing what Apple will do next year.

7. gpat macrumors 6502a

I don't think the ODD will go away anytime soon, even with the 2012 update.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I hope they ditch it, at least in the 13" because that's the only size I care about. Throw in discrete graphics, a blade ssd as a second drive(Ideally 128gb, 64gb would be doable, realistically would be 32gb at best), and fill in the rest with a huge battery. Add a 1680x1050 screen, and I would gladly pay ~$1500 for the entry level, honestly I'd probably pay whatever they asked lol.

9. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I really think Apple will remove the CD drive with the next redesign. Optical disks and clearly on the way out and this redesign will likely be around till 2015 or 2016. If you think using your disk drive on your laptop NOW is rare, imagine how outdated that will be in 2016... Apple likes to push where the market is heading, not necessarily where it is right now. Sure it will be controversial in 2012. But in 2014 we won't even be able to imagine buying a laptop WITH an optical disk drive.

at minimum it at least should be removed in the 13" model. The extra size and weight isn't justified in such a small frame. It can be thinner, lighter, and have a better battery.

In fact, I could feasibly see Apple dropping the whitebook and making ALL 13" notebooks called "Macbooks" again and leave the macbook pro moniker to the 15" and 17".

Although with the mba it might be tricky to differientiate from the mb to the 13" mba. I'm sure Apple would figure something out, maybe merge the lines in some way.

10. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I too think they will probably remove it, personally I have yet to use it.

I'm sad though, maybe I should've waited for the 2012 one :(
    But I am happy I made the switch to mac!

11. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Exactly. Already the Air and the mini take advantage of the external super drive. Give me more battery!

12. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

...and maybe more room to breathe? That would be great. :)

Anyway, I NEVER use the optical drive. I'd be entirely fine without it. Like another poster already stated, what's there that an external optical drive couldn't handle?

13. apd macrumors member

Wrong, I'm afraid. Starting with the 2011 MBPs you can't reboot from an external optical drive or install bootcamp etc.

14. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well can you do those things on the MBA? Because, if so, then i'd say that's a moot point.

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Why people believe apple will update MBP in 2012? I really think they will update it one more time this year around late October.

I believe that 13 inch MBP will just die and apple will keep 15 and 17 inch MBP for power users with ODD. It's still too early to get rid of.

Also, Apple should redesign MBP. This design is almost 3 years old. It's time to upgrade...

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

The last design was around for a lot longer than 3 years fwiw, so I wouldn't really expect a major redesign.

17. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Hmm. Never tried that, but they have built in optical drives so the point is moot.

18. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I think we are a couple years away. I see the Lion app store install as a way to start conditioning consumers away from disks. Same with the netflix dividing subscriptions between DVD and streaming. Its not going away, just going to get harder to find.

Anyone remember how long computers had 3.5 floppy drives along side CD-ROMs? It wasn't an instant switch.

19. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Oh god, not again...

There was a time I defended the ODD but after all these daily, "Kill the CD Drive!" posts I truly hope it does die a merciless death.

20. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

Don't forget the fact they'll be streaming content like Netflix by then, too.
    Not to mention iCloud and iTunes. No more reasons to go to the store to buy a cd...

21. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Were you using macs in the late 90's - 2000's? I remember getting a sawtooth G4 with dvd drive and zip drive, the iMac line never shipped with a floppy.

For Apple it'll be a 'switch' like it or not, you have external options.

22. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

True... but that was on the PC side. The mac side was a pretty quick transition according to my memory :p

23. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Chasing girls, in highschool those years, thinking about inserting a different floppy thing in a slot :D

24. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

While I think they totally could without much of an issue (just offer it as an external option) it is still probably a year or two too early to do this or before we'll actually see it.

25. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

with the Mac Mini removing the ODD I think it is even more likely that at least the 13" mbp will remove the ODD