Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seregios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Naples, Italy.
Being always outdoor I'm really considering a rMB for daily light work. But I'm afraid that Apple could refresh the hardware this year. You think there will be any chances? The guide says neutral: afterall it is the frist of his kind.

Reactions: pmouritz

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I'm thinking no. I would bet that early next year they do a complete redesign of the pros to be more MacBook like and with that, they give some good updates to the MacBook it's inspired from. New chip, better battery life, finally an hd webcam and maybe even a second USB c port

I think for the rest of this year this is all we get. The real excitement will be early next

golosin2

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I think that Apple will silently update the processors, as Skylake Core M are already available. The average MacBook upgrade cycle would lead to an upgrade due October 20th, according some quick maths I've done and my own desires

Seregios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Naples, Italy.
Thanks for the replays. :)

I think that Apple will silently update the processors, as Skylake Core M are already available. The average MacBook upgrade cycle would lead to an upgrade due October 20th, according some quick maths I've done and my own desires

Oh snaps. I was opting to get the Mac around 15th October. Maybe I should wait few days...

pjfan

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Columbus OH
Thanks for the replays. :)

Oh snaps. I was opting to get the Mac around 15th October. Maybe I should wait few days...
You have 14 days to return, if you buy from Apple.

More importantly, it's all speculation. I doubt an update is imminent, however, I would wait for the iMac to be updated just in case. If nothing then, there won't be any update.

Reactions: Seregios

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'm waiting (im)patiently for an updated/revised rMB.

I love my late '13 15" rMBP, it's the computer I spend the most time on. My trusty '12 MacMini is permanently on in the background, doing all the boring stuff, connected to multiple external hdd's, while my iPad Air 2 is my go-to device for portable use, at work etc. Ideally, I'd like a rMB to perform the portable duties currently performed by my iPad, but I was never wholly convinced by the processing power of the first iteration of the rMB so I'm waiting for a bumped version.

Call me old fashioned, but as much I enjoy using my iPad, I just find using a really nice mac laptop a massively superior experience for almost everything, and it's took incredible powers of restraint to not purchase the current rMB. Carting my rMBP around at work is absolutely not an option.

I just wish Apple would release a rMB with a cellular option, its absence irks me. Yes yes, you can tether, and I have that facility, but inbuilt cellular is such a better experience if your circumstances mean you're away from wifi a lot. I am, so a cellular rMB would be great. One can dream.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm waiting (im)patiently for an updated/revised rMB.

I love my late '13 15" rMBP, it's the computer I spend the most time on. My trusty '12 MacMini is permanently on in the background, doing all the boring stuff, connected to multiple external hdd's, while my iPad Air 2 is my go-to device for portable use, at work etc. Ideally, I'd like a rMB to perform the portable duties currently performed by my iPad, but I was never wholly convinced by the processing power of the first iteration of the rMB so I'm waiting for a bumped version.

Call me old fashioned, but as much I enjoy using my iPad, I just find using a really nice mac laptop a massively superior experience for almost everything, and it's took incredible powers of restraint to not purchase the current rMB. Carting my rMBP around at work is absolutely not an option.

I just wish Apple would release a rMB with a cellular option, its absence irks me. Yes yes, you can tether, and I have that facility, but inbuilt cellular is such a better experience if your circumstances mean you're away from wifi a lot. I am, so a cellular rMB would be great. One can dream.

I need to decide between a rMB or a 13" rMBP next year. I'm hoping it becomes a harder decision with the next refresh.

I don't think they'll ever have a cellular option on a Mac.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I don't think they'll ever have a cellular option on a Mac.

I totally agree, although it's a shame. In the dim distant past I had a ghastly netbook of some description, its one redeeming feature being its sim card slot. Was so good just flipping the lid open and having an always on connection regardless of where I was. Oh well.

Reactions: Sirolway

HerrMann

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
Being always outdoor I'm really considering a rMB for daily light work. But I'm afraid that Apple could refresh the hardware this year. You think there will be any chances? The guide says neutral: afterall it is the frist of his kind.

Nope, no chance of an upgrade until next year. April 2016 for the skylake and a 14" rMB launch. At that point, the 11" MBA will be discontinued and the 13" will be sold until April 2017.

Reactions: Seregios

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Not before next spring I think ...

Maybe a processor bump in the Pros, nothing for the MacBook. You're waiting until 2016 at this point

The MBP were released between march and may .... I don't think they will receive any upgrade until next year

maclab

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
So there are some tech journalists who still think there is a chance of a cpu bump by the end of the month for the rMB based on the iMacs release the other day.....any thoughts?

maclab

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
if the updated the rMB with Skylake, then Apple wouldn't have anything saved in their back pocket for next years update ;)

Next year they will have different size options in there pocket, I doubt a spec speed bump will something they make fuss about, and a second usb-c pot is never going to happen, that would defeat the entire strategy of this type of portable wireless product.

Well if there is a spec bump it will happen no later than end of October for this years....so we wait and see I guess.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I, also, think that Skylake will be a silent update. The question I have will Apple hold off on the rMB update until the rMBP refresh or update late this year or early next.

HerrMann

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
if the updated the rMB with Skylake, then Apple wouldn't have anything saved in their back pocket for next years update ;)

There's the launch of the 14" Retina MacBook. But, I still believe they will update to Skylake and launch the 14" next year.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Where is the 14" rMB rumor originating from?

From the people still waiting for updated 17" MBP. :rolleyes: I think that it is some people wishing for a 14" rMB rather than there being an actual rumor.

Just speculation and wishful thinking at this point, but I'm one of the dreamers. It certainly is not a far-fetched idea since it's easy to forcast the demise of the MacBook Air line and they'll need a replacement for the 13" Air; hence a 14" MacBook. Maybe with another USB-C port and/or SD slot?

Actually, and this is REALLY dreaming, next year could see big changes with Skylake, Alpine Ridge, and USB-C. The iMac, MacBook Pro, and maybe Mini are up for redesigns. The Pro is certainly up for a refresh too. Could be a banner year for Apple computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.