Will the rMB receive an hardware update this year?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Seregios, Oct 5, 2015.

  1. Seregios macrumors newbie

    Seregios

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2015
    Location:
    Napoli, Italia.
    #1
    Being always outdoor I'm really considering a rMB for daily light work. But I'm afraid that Apple could refresh the hardware this year. You think there will be any chances? The guide says neutral: afterall it is the frist of his kind.
     
  2. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

    Ghost31

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2015
    #2
    I'm thinking no. I would bet that early next year they do a complete redesign of the pros to be more MacBook like and with that, they give some good updates to the MacBook it's inspired from. New chip, better battery life, finally an hd webcam and maybe even a second USB c port

    I think for the rest of this year this is all we get. The real excitement will be early next
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    Not at this point - We're just on the cusp of the Christmas shopping season - I don't see Apple releasing something so late in the game.
     
  4. golosin2 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2012
    #4
    I think that Apple will silently update the processors, as Skylake Core M are already available. The average MacBook upgrade cycle would lead to an upgrade due October 20th, according some quick maths I've done and my own desires
     
  5. Seregios thread starter macrumors newbie

    Seregios

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2015
    Location:
    Napoli, Italia.
    #5
    Thanks for the replays. :)

    Oh snaps. I was opting to get the Mac around 15th October. Maybe I should wait few days...
     
  6. pjfan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus OH
    #7
    You have 14 days to return, if you buy from Apple.

    More importantly, it's all speculation. I doubt an update is imminent, however, I would wait for the iMac to be updated just in case. If nothing then, there won't be any update.
     
  7. bkrbyndr macrumors newbie

    bkrbyndr

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2014
    Location:
    Stockholm
    #8
    I think there will be update for pro, maybe early 2016 I'm gonna wait too
     
  8. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #9
    Maybe a processor bump in the Pros, nothing for the MacBook. You're waiting until 2016 at this point
     
  9. Seregios thread starter macrumors newbie

    Seregios

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2015
    Location:
    Napoli, Italia.
    #10
    Thanks again. :) I need it now, so I'll just take it.
     
  10. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
  11. yegon macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    #12
    I'm waiting (im)patiently for an updated/revised rMB.

    I love my late '13 15" rMBP, it's the computer I spend the most time on. My trusty '12 MacMini is permanently on in the background, doing all the boring stuff, connected to multiple external hdd's, while my iPad Air 2 is my go-to device for portable use, at work etc. Ideally, I'd like a rMB to perform the portable duties currently performed by my iPad, but I was never wholly convinced by the processing power of the first iteration of the rMB so I'm waiting for a bumped version.

    Call me old fashioned, but as much I enjoy using my iPad, I just find using a really nice mac laptop a massively superior experience for almost everything, and it's took incredible powers of restraint to not purchase the current rMB. Carting my rMBP around at work is absolutely not an option.

    I just wish Apple would release a rMB with a cellular option, its absence irks me. Yes yes, you can tether, and I have that facility, but inbuilt cellular is such a better experience if your circumstances mean you're away from wifi a lot. I am, so a cellular rMB would be great. One can dream.
     
  12. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #13
    I need to decide between a rMB or a 13" rMBP next year. I'm hoping it becomes a harder decision with the next refresh.

    I don't think they'll ever have a cellular option on a Mac.
     
  13. yegon macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    #14
    I totally agree, although it's a shame. In the dim distant past I had a ghastly netbook of some description, its one redeeming feature being its sim card slot. Was so good just flipping the lid open and having an always on connection regardless of where I was. Oh well.
     
  14. HerrMann macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    #15
    Nope, no chance of an upgrade until next year. April 2016 for the skylake and a 14" rMB launch. At that point, the 11" MBA will be discontinued and the 13" will be sold until April 2017.
     
  15. Seregios thread starter macrumors newbie

    Seregios

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2015
    Location:
    Napoli, Italia.
    #16
    Two days ago I bought the Mac. :)
    Thanks everyone!
     
  16. Max(IT) Suspended

    Max(IT)

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    Location:
    Italy
    #17
    Not before next spring I think ...

    The MBP were released between march and may .... I don't think they will receive any upgrade until next year
     
  17. maclab macrumors member

    maclab

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    #18
    So there are some tech journalists who still think there is a chance of a cpu bump by the end of the month for the rMB based on the iMacs release the other day.....any thoughts?
     
  18. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

    AppleWarMachine

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan, US
    #19
    if the updated the rMB with Skylake, then Apple wouldn't have anything saved in their back pocket for next years update ;)
     
  19. maclab macrumors member

    maclab

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    #20

    Next year they will have different size options in there pocket, I doubt a spec speed bump will something they make fuss about, and a second usb-c pot is never going to happen, that would defeat the entire strategy of this type of portable wireless product.

    Well if there is a spec bump it will happen no later than end of October for this years....so we wait and see I guess.
     
  20. driftless macrumors demi-god

    driftless

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago-area
    #21
    I, also, think that Skylake will be a silent update. The question I have will Apple hold off on the rMB update until the rMBP refresh or update late this year or early next.
     
  21. HerrMann macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    #22
    There's the launch of the 14" Retina MacBook. But, I still believe they will update to Skylake and launch the 14" next year.
     
  22. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

    freddiecable

    Joined:
    May 16, 2003
    Location:
    Sweden
  23. driftless macrumors demi-god

    driftless

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago-area
    #24
    From the people still waiting for updated 17" MBP. :rolleyes: I think that it is some people wishing for a 14" rMB rather than there being an actual rumor.
     
  24. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

    toddzrx

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2012
    #25
    Just speculation and wishful thinking at this point, but I'm one of the dreamers. It certainly is not a far-fetched idea since it's easy to forcast the demise of the MacBook Air line and they'll need a replacement for the 13" Air; hence a 14" MacBook. Maybe with another USB-C port and/or SD slot?

    Actually, and this is REALLY dreaming, next year could see big changes with Skylake, Alpine Ridge, and USB-C. The iMac, MacBook Pro, and maybe Mini are up for redesigns. The Pro is certainly up for a refresh too. Could be a banner year for Apple computers.
     

Share This Page