Will the SSD be cheaper next upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Apple Guy3, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Apple Guy3 macrumors newbie

I am waiting for the upgrade for the next iMac. I'm in no hurry and don't really need to upgrade today.

My question is do ya'll think that the SSD option will become cheaper, stay the same price, or become standard with the 1TB hard drive in the upper level models?

I personally would love for the upper level models to come with the 1 or 2 TB hard drive + the 256 SSD for boot up and apps standard...we can dream right?

Appreciate all comments and thoughts:apple:

2. philipma1957, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yes they will be better value. my self I use external t-bolt ssds. cheaper bigger faster and instant replacement.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1317577&page=7

long thread read post 153 to see what you can do for about 450 usd

apple wants 150 for a 2tb iMac they want 750 for a 2tb and 256gb ssd. so the external option costs less is faster and instant replacement if it dies. ( and you chose to have a spare) this will drive the prices down. many users will prefer the external. you can bring the osx from iMac to iMac plus you can lock the osx in a safe over night. think business users.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I think they'll be cheaper but not by much. I also don't think they'll be in the standard configurations for at least a couple of years (at least not in the current sizes they offer).

But I hope Apple can surprise us and I'm proven wrong.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I also think they will be cheaper but not by any huge amount. As SSDs become more prevalent the price will come down like they did with thumb drives and what not. However Apple will still most likely charge an unholy amount to upgrade threw them so your probably going to be better off to do it yourself!

5. drawnacrol macrumors newbie

Apple still charge a crazy amount for RAM so I'm pretty SSDs won't get that much cheaper. Fingers crossed though!

6. Bear macrumors G3

I think SSDs will drop in price. The question is how much? Memory prices will probably also be adjusted. (But third party memory will still be cost effective probably.)

You can't go by that. Apple almost never updates option prices between product line updates. And third part memory prices basically got cut in half since the 2011 models were released. Which makes Apples prices look insane as opposed to being just computer manufacturer pricing.