Will the W1 chip come to other headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sammyman, Sep 17, 2016.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Or will this always be an Apple / Beats thing? It would be great to see some more competition.

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Doubt it. Others will have to use BT5 next year.

3. SDM44 macrumors newbie

SDM44

It's Apple's proprietary chip, and if other manufacturers wants to use it then they're going to have to pay a hefty price or make a deal with Apple to use & market it.

Unless a major manufacturer that has money, and it's a company that Apple feels like dealing with, we probably won't see too many choices of wireless headphones in the near future. But you never know.

4. phobos512 macrumors regular

phobos512

The question I've asked and not been able to get a satisfactory answer to is not WILL other manufacturers use it but MAY they - i.e. is the W1 even available for licensing? If it is available, manufacturers will use it.

5. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Pretty sure they showed some monster beats that will have it. I think now they will put it in their monster beat line. Didn't they mention that in the conference

6. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I've been thinking a lot about this, I want to get a wireless speaker and I was really wondering if there might bring some nice pairing functionality to future speakers too!

7. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Never.

This is the Apple advantage.

Siri depends on the W1 chip and evolving in the ecosystem.

The Airpods growth could be tremendous with 1B iPhone users.

The money is to be made in accessories & services to compensate for a slower iPhone growth.

8. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Apple owns Beats now.

9. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Yes. Understand. So I'm saying that the apple air pods are not the only ones that will sync easily. Beats will sync just the same when you turn them on

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Could be selectively available for some premium brands' headphones, ditto speakers. Will be beneficial to Apple if premium brands have SIRI in their products.

But I agree that Apple would never license W1 openly.

11. phobos512 macrumors regular

phobos512

They'll let anyone make and certify Lightning cables - why wouldn't they let a company like Bragi license the W1 from them for The Dash 2? Makes perfect sense. The work is already done at Apple; it costs them nothing to license as compared to development. They just provide the chips and an ICD to whatever manufacturer to integrate and away they go. It's a license to print money, and I suspect would be far more lucrative than sales of a few different headphone products.

12. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

From your point of view, that's an option.

From a business standpoint, the money says to keep the secret sauce in a burgeoning AI industry.

Put the competition in a freeze state, and position to sell to a captive 1B iPhone users.

We'll know more in the next few years or sooner.

13. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I actually hope it'll come to other Bluetooth devices in general, specifically the Beats Pill Plus speaker. I switch sources for that a lot, and it'd be soooo convenient to have the fast switching capability with that device.

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

I would imagine they're trying to establish a standard like FireWire, etc. So, it wouldn't be surprising to see more manufacturers getting license to tap into it, even if they hold it exclusive for a while.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm reasonably certain the W1 will be an Apple exclusive.

16. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

You think apple scrapped the headphone jack to hand that tech over?

17. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

At the moment, we only know that the Airpods and the PowerBeats 3 will have the W1 chip. Will others be allowed to use it? Most likely in the future, but not right away. For those who think they won't license forget how much Apple likes making money.

18. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

You have THOUSANDS of choices for wireless headphones right now.

19. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Beats X and Solo 3 wireless.

I have the latter, damn thing is excellent listening to music. And my battery will run out causing me to sleep before this ever does. :)

20. Rasta4i macrumors member

Rasta4i

I'M going to pick up the beats solo 3's during the week, I'm going for the black colour

21. RC Mike macrumors member

You understand that Siri can be used with most any headset, correct?

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That's NOT the secret sauce. The secret sauce is the fact that your headphones sync across your AppleID.

23. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Yes, correct.

It's whatever they put and will put in that W1 chip, commanding Siri and easily working with all devices.

Revolutionary thinking companies like Human will be constrained without the W1 chip.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sound-by-human-audio-evolved-music-headphones/x/1772893#/

Perhaps, the answer is both.

Maybe not, I already have many BT devices that are mediocre.

Maybe the Airpods will be my best head computing devices for the next year.

24. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

25. teqteq macrumors newbie

teqteq

I would think, based on licensing of the 30-pin and lightning connectors, that Apple will license this to headphone and speaker makers (once they let Beats some for a while on their own), but NOT other phone makers. Surely their key interest is selling more phones rather than more Beats and Apple earphones? And it gives them a key differentiator to Android phones.

I hope W1 gives better audio quality when paired with an iPhone with a W1 chip!