Will there be a 5th generation Apple Watch this year?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bazooka-joe, Jul 27, 2019.

1. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

I don't get the premise of the article - that the AW4 is fast and is good enough to be fast for a couple more generations? That's been true of most iOS devices released in the last 5 years - they have plenty of processor head room to support any workflow for a couple of years or more. That hasn't stopped them from shipping newer, even faster devices.

What was the last Apple device that was under-powered out of the gate - the "new" iPad 3 in 2012??

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the question should be, does there _need_ to be a fifth generation Apple Watch consecutive released every 12 months? I don’t think so. I think the Apple Watch has matured enough where the Series 4 can easily sustain until March 2020, where as the Series 5 could potentially launch then. There really is not an indication that the Series 5 will launch in September of this year, but in the likeliness, it will given Apples track record.

I just think there will be a point reached where they Apple Watch will be saturated similar to the iPhone, where consumers are not going to upgrade their Apple Watch every single year, can Apple really implement/change that many features in just one year for the Apple Watch? The most major changes seem to happen for about every 2 to 3 years.

3. wxnats macrumors 6502a

No, I highly doubt there is Series 5 released this year.

4. swarlos macrumors 6502a

swarlos

I definitely won’t be upgrading my watch this year, I think it would be easier to swallow if the freaking resale values didn’t drop like a rock.

I have the space black SS and I’m not about downgrade to aluminum or spend $750 every year to upgrade my watch. Forget that noise.

5. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Off topic but to answer that, I’d say it was the iPhone 6 Plus (2014). Piss poor amount of RAM and underpowered SoC couldn’t handle resolution/scaling.

6. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

If there isn't one it’ll be a bummer because I’m planning to buy one.

7. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

I think rather than "new discoveries" or "Capabilities", whether or not there's a Series 5 introduced this year will more than likely depend on the relationship of sales of the series 3 vs. series 4, how much did the sales drop on introduction from 3 vs. 4? Continued sales of series 3, continued sales of series 4? How many series 3's were traded in for the series 4. Purely a marketing ploy, how many people will upgrade to the "newest" model, even without an earth-shattering change?

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yup, totally understandable. The stainless models really do hit hard when it comes to poor resale value. Fortunately for me, I generally don’t sell my Apple products, I just use them until they fail or give them away. So I can accept the stainless models don’t hold value, but I really appreciate the aesthetics/weight of the stainless watch, and I just thought the aluminum watch was not really on par with my liking with that specific material being to ‘light-weight.’

9. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I think there will be an update this year as there are always people who want the latest model. So no new model will mean no sales. I think people are expecting one so are holding off buying a series 4. Those people aren’t likely to buy until a series 5 is out.

The only thing that would get me to buy a series 5 would be sleep tracking. Assuming that doesn’t come to the series 4. But the rumours suggest that won’t come until the series 6.

10. Hi Tek macrumors member

Hi Tek

One thing that has always confused me browsing these forums is how confident people are that a series5 is coming (lots of people asking "should I buy series4 or wait") - I haven't heard anything indicating series5 is coming or even speculation. If we're basing it off track record, then I get it. But I will be surprised if they announce a 'series5'. - My fiancé has an Apple Watch (Gen 0). I'm hoping something will happen to push a price decrease on the series3 so I can upgrade her to a more reasonable hardware for watchOS 6.

Few more months :rolleyes:

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My AW4 is already claimed by a family member so I have no choice except to get the AW5

12. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

I use an app "Auto-Sleep" on my S4, and gives me all the information I could possibly want. Check it out, it's only like $2.50, and would save you around $500... :)

13. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I will check that out! Thanks for the tip :)

14. TylerDurden130 macrumors regular

Serious question, what’s the benefit of sleep tracking? Isn’t it sort of backward looking? I know when I got a good nights sleep etc..

15. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

Personally, I suffer from a sleep disorder so being able to keep a record of my sleep cycle really helps monitor things. Saying that I’ve not done it up until now but it’s something I am looking forward to trying out.

16. Bazooka-joe thread starter macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Interestingly as we are only nine weeks away from a potential release of iPhone 11 and AW5, there has been no news or stories about AW5. We have been fed appetisers about iPhone 11, the new MacBooks and ipads but nothing about a new watch

17. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

Agreed, you would think that Apple would want at least a few hints, so as to drive up excitement, and anticipation or the new watch, somewhat like "Where is there an S4 in rose gold 40mm? using that little website that shows inventory. The excitement drives up first day/week/month sales.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would wait until about the last week of August, they’re usually/should be something about the Apple Watch Series 5 by then. I don’t mean necessarily ‘visual leaks’, I mean something that likely be leaked/deciphered through code that is found specifically indicating an Apple Watch five might be here in September.

19. ledzepfan1981 macrumors 6502

ledzepfan1981

I use SleepMatic on my S3 Watch.

20. WilliamG macrumors G3

I’d like to see way faster flash storage/processing power. Until every app opens quickly, with oodles of RAM overhead, these devices can always be faster.

And take that from someone with a XS Max and a latest-gen iPad Pro.

21. rosegoldoli macrumors regular

rosegoldoli

wait is there really an indication that the series 5 won't be coming? I was planning on buying it to upgrade from my S3 :(

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No one said the ‘Series 5’ Apple Watch isn’t coming, if you read back, there isn’t really much indication through leaks (both hardware/software) that a Series 5 may be probable for a fall release.

23. the future macrumors 65816

There is no indication either way. But the September event is basically right around the corner, so just wait for that. If there is no S5 in September, you‘d have to wait until 2020. Or get the S4, which is still amazing.

24. Bazooka-joe thread starter macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Yes good point