Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
There is a bit of middle ground that’s missed though. SSDs have come down in price enough that making small RAIDs out of them for crazy speeds plus reasonable storage is not absurdly expensive. The 1 TB option from Apple is $720. For a little less than twice that cost, you’d get 4 times the raw storage (a good deal on a 1TB SSD is about $300 these days). You could put a 2TB RAID10, 4TB RAID0, 2x 2TB RAID0, 3 TB RAID5. It would be nice to have those kinds of options and not pay about $2K for an enclosure to support it.

I have these in mind but still waiting for at least the double capacity. 2tb SSDs are too expensive right now.

Apple's (samsung's) SSD offerings are expensive too but they have great performance, at least the 1 tb one inside nMP, it's a sad thing we can have only one internally.

I am. But honestly, I don’t really like maintaining a linux workstation.
Yes, i understand you, and this is why we bought our second nMP - I didn't built a hackintosh because there was no time available for tinkering, maintenance and of course fixing the mess after each OS X update.

Reactions: mrxak

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
what i've read by you comes across as hypothetical situations..
put real experiences on it.

what applications are you using when the cpu speed drops?
what tasks are you doing in said applications?
what damage is being done to you or your work? (how much money are you losing. etc?)

you know, that kind of stuff.. not "IF a cpu runs slower than advertised -and- IF there was an advertisement stating the computer's expected speed -- Then, there Might be grounds for a lawsuit".. cool :/
You'll have to ask all the nMP people who say the iMac is unable to sustain continued operation under load like the MP can.

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
As this thread turns past 2800 posts, I'd like to say it's been the most amusing reading in recent history on any forum I follow.

I wonder what happened to the OP? :D

Honestly, I think this thread could have probably ended around post #4 or #6 (the latter being my fav).

Rock on though. I'm guessing this thread will hit 5000 posts before it expires.
This thread could have ended with the second post if that post said "We don't know" because none of us know (or if we do we're unable to say).

Reactions: VirtualRain

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Maybe some. But it doesn’t seem very likely given we don’t even have the Broadwell E5s from intel. And you won’t find me really caring what CPUs are chosen until the there is a 2 socket version. If I was in the market for a nMP, I’d be hoping they update with Broadwell-EP.

My crystal-ball-gazing track record is pretty poor, but seeing how Broadwell desktop CPU's were released only two months ago, with Skylake introduced just one month later, I'd be surprised to see Intel actually release the Xeons in Q4 as promised.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
How about a nMP with a BTO option of "Dual Processor and a single GPU" an and option of "Do you want that "Fat 'n' Quiet" or "Thin 'n' Throttled" ?" -that would be great for us recording studio people. I'd also like to see a base ECC memory of 32GB and PCIe SSD standard of at least 500 GB. Can this single GPU be split into two HDMI outputs? 6 USB minimum, 6 TB minimum. Keep the Dual Ethernet, make the connector panel out of aluminum. Ditch as much plastic as you can because it degrades under constant thermal stress.

If Apple is really concerned about the environment, it should stop making disposable products. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth, and use these supposedly faster, lower-wattage chips. (i.e., whatever happened to the carbon nanotube chips?) -and everything should be upgradeable by the user, especially the CPU and the GPU. That's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
How about a nMP with a BTO option of "Dual Processor and a single GPU" an and option of "Do you want that "Fat 'n' Quiet" or "Thin 'n' Throttled" ?" -that would be great for us recording studio people. I'd also like to see a base ECC memory of 32GB and PCIe SSD standard of at least 500 GB. Can this single GPU be split into two HDMI outputs? 6 USB minimum, 6 TB minimum. Keep the Dual Ethernet, make the connector panel out of aluminum. Ditch as much plastic as you can because it degrades under constant thermal stress.

If Apple is really concerned about the environment, it should stop making disposable products. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth, and use these supposedly faster, lower-wattage chips. (i.e., whatever happened to the carbon nanotube chips?) -and everything should be upgradeable by the user, especially the CPU and the GPU. That's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Apple has never offered I/O customization such as you're asking for, and there's no workstation I've seen that's offering 32GB of ECC RAM in a sub-$3k price, unless they're using small DIMMs across 12 RAM slots or something (HP sells the "default" 840 with 8 x 1 GB sticks, for instance.)

This sort of list of demands is essentially "I want more for less."

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
My crystal-ball-gazing track record is pretty poor, but seeing how Broadwell desktop CPU's were released only two months ago, with Skylake introduced just one month later, I'd be surprised to see Intel actually release the Xeons in Q4 as promised.

Aren’t they already moved back to Q1 2016 now? And Skylake E5s are so far away that there is still plenty of time for those to slip more as well.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Apple has never offered I/O customization such as you're asking for, and there's no workstation I've seen that's offering 32GB of ECC RAM in a sub-$3k price, unless they're using small DIMMs across 12 RAM slots or something (HP sells the "default" 840 with 8 x 1 GB sticks, for instance.)

This sort of list of demands is essentially "I want more for less."

Wait, they did have a dual and single configuration before.

tralfaz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
heh.. you're using a composite image made by someone with similar views as you to sum up your thoughts..
that's fine but it's not a photograph.. it's a composite. it's not real.

surely, after 2 years of nmp sales, you can find at least one real photograph showing the rat's nest.. or can't you?

Wow flat five, I get that you have completely drunk the Apple kool-aid, but this really borders on mental disorder.
Five seconds with the google machine will yield you "real" picture of the horror of this stupid computer design.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...mg..8.6.311.16wqtoPSQhw#imgrc=JDQqc6pTbzzKKM:

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Aren’t they already moved back to Q1 2016 now? And Skylake E5s are so far away that there is still plenty of time for those to slip more as well.

Indeed. Actually, H1 2016 is what a quick Google search told me. We'll see...

Wow flat five, I get that you have completely drunk the Apple kool-aid, but this really borders on mental disorder.
Five seconds with the google machine will yield you "real" picture of the horror of this stupid computer design.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1048&bih=885&q=nMP+cable+mess&oq=nMP+cable+mess&gs_l=img.3...2062.20013.0.20532.14.7.0.7.0.0.57.360.7.7.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..8.6.311.16wqtoPSQhw#imgrc=JDQqc6pTbzzKKM:

Sure. But at present I have 4 USB, 1FW, 1DVI and 1 power cable sticking out of cMP. The last USB port is also occupied when I'm doing backups. Until last year I had the LAN cable in there as well (which I actually preferred over the Wifi-card, much faster).

The nMP design isn't ideal for me, but in my situation it would technically be only one extra ThB cable to external storage.

tralfaz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Here is a what if for nMP 2.0. (Full disclosure I hate the nMP 1.0)

One of the biggest issue a lot of people have is that there is so few configuration options with nMP 1.0. With the cMP you had your choice of 1 or 2 CPUs, 1 or 2 (or more) GPUs, up to 8 memory sticks and 4 plus drive slots.

What would folks here think if the nMP offered a single GPU option, with the third riser board used for an extra SSD drive bay with room for 3 more sticks?

For me, this would almost be enough swallow hate for this design and consider it an option.

Reactions: mrxak and colodane

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1048&bih=885&q=nMP+cable+mess&oq=nMP+cable+mess&gs_l=img.3...2062.20013.0.20532.14.7.0.7.0.0.57.360.7.7.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..8.6.311.16wqtoPSQhw#imgrc=JDQqc6pTbzzKKM:

i'm not defending apple though.. it would be helpful for you to recognize that..
i'm arguing against people's rationale.

how about this.. count the amount of cables coming out of your computer right now.. then count how many cords you need with a nmp.. what are the numbers?

further.. cmp has at least 18 ports to accept a cable.. nmp has 16.. if i go digging around the entirenet looking for worst case scenario pictures of cable clutter pictures with mac pros.. which one, by the very nature of design, will have more cables?

---
here's a fun one.. click on your link then click on the button 'visit page'..

failtraz.png

what does mitch have to say about his new computer?

"The highlights of the new Mac Pro are the lowered energy usage, the reclaimed physical space, and the huge reduction of cable mess."

so in the same way i said d.god_mac had a wack argument for using a composite picture to tell of his cable woes.. you also have a wack(er) argument by using an example image to show "the horror of this stupid computer design" in which the person using the computer claims huge reduction of cable mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: zephonic

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
(Full disclosure I hate the nMP 1.0)
heh.. right. i border on having a mental disorder says the dud who hates a computer.
really? hate.

is it possible much of your thoughts are based on emotion rather than logic? (it should be possible.. the majority of people are more emotional than logical).

is it possible if you kicked it down a notch or two and realized the absurdity of hating an inanimate object that has in no way/shape/form had a negative effect on you life-- that you might see things differently?

louis says it better:

(nsfw.. language etc)

side note-- the preview frame on that video is how i imagine a lot of you all to look like when sitting around whining on macrumors.
:)

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
Right, but you do?

So since Apple is clueless, and you are not, what CPU's should they put in the MacPro? Which ones are significantly faster than what's currently in there?

For the base model two options: either 8 cores with an average graphics solution or 4 / 6 cores with a workstation grade graphics card, as simple as that. A model for computing and another one for rendering.

Reactions: JamesPDX

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
heh.. right. i border on having a mental disorder says the dud who hates a computer.
really? hate.

is it possible much of your thoughts are based on emotion rather than logic? (it should be possible.. the majority of people are more emotional than logical).

is it possible if you kicked it down a notch or two and realized the absurdity of hating an inanimate object that has in no way/shape/form had a negative effect on you life-- that you might see things differently?

louis says it better:

(nsfw.. language etc)

side note-- the preview frame on that video is how i imagine a lot of you all to look like when sitting around whining on macrumors.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. If not, do you think maybe you’re getting a little worked up over the use of the word hate? I suppose you’ve never said you hate broccoli or you hate a rival sports team or any number of things that have zero impact on your life.

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
really? hate.

louis says it better:

(nsfw.. language etc)

You simply hate it when people speak their mind: imagine everybody was complacent, there would be no technological progress, and certainly no Apple.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Please tell me this is sarcasm.
it's humor

You simply hate it when people speak their mind: imagine everybody was complacent, there would be no technological progress, and certainly no Apple.
tbh, i don't hate that.. nor do i wish for people to be complacent.

people speak their mind.. i disagree.. and i respond with an attempt to change their mind.. i mean, that's the very definition of arguing.

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
it's humor

tbh, i don't hate that.. nor do i wish for people to be complacent.

people speak their mind.. i disagree.. and i respond with an attempt to change their mind.. i mean, that's the very definition of arguing.

That's the first post of yours I agree with :p

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
But as I've said, two base models for rendering and computing would be hugely appreciated. One with an 8 core cpu and average graphics card and another option with 4 cores and graphics emphasis.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
i'm not defending apple though.. it would be helpful for you to recognize that..
i'm arguing against people's rationale.

how about this.. count the amount of cables coming out of your computer right now.. then count how many cords you need with a nmp.. what are the numbers?

further.. cmp has at least 18 ports to accept a cable.. nmp has 16.. if i go digging around the entirenet looking for worst case scenario pictures of cable clutter pictures with mac pros.. which one, by the very nature of design, will have more cables?

---
here's a fun one.. click on your link then click on the button 'visit page'..

View attachment 590911

what does mitch have to say about his new computer?

"The highlights of the new Mac Pro are the lowered energy usage, the reclaimed physical space, and the huge reduction of cable mess."

so in the same way i said d.god_mac had a wack argument for using a composite picture to tell of his cable woes.. you also have a wack(er) argument by using an example image to show "the horror of this stupid computer design" in which the person using the computer claims huge reduction of cable mess.

I have 10 right now: 2 HDMI capture cards, 2 monitors, 1 usb keyboard, 1 USB Mouse, Power cord, Line out, mic in, ethernet. I use to have 14 at one time on a 2009 Mac Pro. On my 2013 Mac Pro currently 9.

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
I have 10 right now: 2 HDMI capture cards, 2 monitors, 1 usb keyboard, 1 USB Mouse, Power cord, Line out, mic in, ethernet. I use to have 14 at one time on a 2009 Mac Pro. On my 2013 Mac Pro currently 9.

Well that doesn't make sense does it?

"I used to have a Mac Pro with upgradable internal storage / optical drives, pcie sockets et cetera, but now with the new model, which has no upgradable internal storage / optical drives and pcie sockets, I'm actually using less cables". Do you actually listen to yourself?

You're like the David Copperfield of Macintosh users.

Last edited:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Well that doesn't make sense does it?

"I used to have a Mac Pro with upgradable internal storage / optical drives, pcie sockets et cetera, but now with the new model, which has no upgradable internal storage / optical drives and pcie sockets, I'm actually using less cables". Do you actually listen to yourself?

You're like the David Copperfield of Macintosh users.

Its not easy putting on a weekly live internet broadcast for the last 7 years ( Going on 8 ) So yeah, I use a lot of cables...so sue me...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.