Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I know no one here really knows. More digging what you think. I may buy fcpx but i am hesitant about it because I don't want to just before a paid upgrade. Of course that may never come so I could buy right away. Same goes for logic.

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
It's unlikely there will ever be a paid upgrade to FCPX, let alone a substantial functionality upgrade. :(

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Is you question based on the economics of fcpx v. premiers cc? Even if fcpx comes with a paid upgrade tomorrow, history shows Apple does this on a multiyear interval. It's been almost 5 years. If there is a paid upgrade, and I don't believe there will be any time soon, I would expect it to be several years before the next one.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
It's unlikely there will ever be a paid upgrade to FCPX, let alone a substantial functionality upgrade. :(

FCPX has had many significant feature upgrades since it was released, and there is no basis to believe these will stop. Below are just a limited subset of these:

Version 10.2.3 (2-4-16):
- Customizable Default Video/Audio Effect
- SAN performance greatly improved
- Import Canon XF-AVC including video files from the Canon C300 Mark II

Version 10.2 (4-13-15):
- 3D titles
- Enhance masks to work with any clip, with options for linear, bezier, or B-spline smoothing
- Color board merged with color correction effect
- Save custom effects as presets
- Improved keyframing with better motion smoothing
- Improved optical flow smoothing
- GPU acceleration for Red Raw, inc'l dual GPUs
- Library-wide smart collections
- Improved audio waveform drawing performance

Version 10.1.4 (12-3-14):
- Native MXF import, edit, and export with Pro Video Formats 2.0 software update
- Option to export AVC-Intra MXF files
- Support for import and editing with Panasonic AVC-LongG media

Ver. 10.1.2 (7-28-14):
- Optimized, proxy, and rendered media can be stored at any location outside of the library
- Easily delete optimized, proxy, and rendered media from within Final Cut Pro X
- Used media indicators for Compound clips, Multicam clips, and Synced clips
- Improved speed and accuracy when synchronizing clips
- Create keywords from Finder Tags when importing media

Ver 10.1 (12-19-13):
- Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
- Video monitoring up to 4K via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI on select Mac computers
- 4K content including titles, transitions, and generators
- Easily open and close individual libraries to load just the material you need
- Option to import camera media to locations inside or outside of a library
- Automatically back up libraries to a user-specified drive or network location
- Project Snapshots let you quickly capture the project state for fast versioning
- Audio fade handles on individual audio channels in the timeline
- Add precise retime speeds by entering them numerically in the timeline
- Join Through Edit command removes bladed cuts to clips in the timeline
- Detach audio with Multicam clips in the timeline to manipulate audio and video separately

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
FCPX has had many significant feature upgrades since it was released, and there is no basis to believe these will stop. Below are just a limited subset of these:

"Customizable Default Video/Audio Effect" is a significant feature upgrade? I think not. Neither are "Optimizations", "Improvements", or "Enhancements". Adding 3D titles - a nice upgrade. Look at the improvements we got in February. Does that look like a year's worth of work? How about deeper integration with Motion, like built in round-tripping? Or add more of Compressor's functionality/power to FCPX to make common jobs easier. Apple has had over 4 years to add the FCP 7 features we lost at version 10.0, so now it's time to add some wow factor.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world

Roundtripping without issues with a decent audio app comes to my mind first. Why not having the same project open in both apps and edit sound and video.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
I know no one here really knows. More digging what you think. I may buy fcpx but i am hesitant about it because I don't want to just before a paid upgrade. Of course that may never come so I could buy right away. Same goes for logic.
If you already have FCP 7, the last pro version, just keep using it, like production houses around the world. You don't need to sidegrade to X, but you can still use it for new jobs if you want. It's not a one or other situation. Just don't expect integration, roundtripping or professional features that were built up over many years based on professional needs. They might have kept the name, like Mercedes did with the A class, but they didn't dump the real cars at the same time.
As other posters have suggested, it's unlikely another payment will be required, but at this rate, it may get Apertured.

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Roundtripping without issues with a decent audio app comes to my mind first. Why not having the same project open in both apps and edit sound and video.

Sorry my Apple frustration came out at you Geordi, but I pine for the day Apple puts some of it's brain power back into it's Pro products. Unfortunately, we are now 0.0001% of their revenue.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Roundtripping with Motion like previous generations is still IMHO missing but I have to say the thing has come on leaps and bounds since the first release. I suspect there will come a time that they might start adding premium extras as in app purchases somehow but long may it continue as it is :)

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
It's unlikely there will ever be...a substantial functionality upgrade...I think not. Neither are "Optimizations", "Improvements", or "Enhancements"...

You may not think optimizations are a substantial functionality upgrade but people doing real work appreciate the importance of performance. Because of these optimizations the FCPX frame rate when fast forwarding in the timeline is now 20x faster than Premiere CC on the same hardware.

As tech investor Fred Wilson said, "Speed is the most important feature":

http://alertfox.com/fred-wilson-speed-is-the-most-important-feature/

Besides performance optimizations, it is very likely other significant feature upgrades will happen in the future -- just as they have previously. I have no idea what your basis for saying it is unlikely FCPX will *ever* have a functionality upgrade.

There have already been so many upgrades that FCPX is being used on Hollywood feature films like

Focus: http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/in-action/focus/

Whisky Tango Foxtrot: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...y-tango-foxtrot-was-edited-on-final-cut-pro-x

Geostorm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostorm

And major TV network operations: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...inal-cut-pro-x-in-national-network-operations

Reactions: linuxcooldude

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
At this point I would be surprised if Apple released a paid upgrade for X. Maybe, big maybe, in another few years if they decide to roll it over to a new version number that might be a cause for another payment, but you have to buy a Mac to run the software so Apple still gets its due (kinda like with OS X).

As tech investor Fred Wilson said, "Speed is the most important feature":

http://alertfox.com/fred-wilson-speed-is-the-most-important-feature/

I'd say that stability/reliability is the most important feature. You can schedule for slower but you can't schedule for unpredictable.

Reactions: bonehead

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
At this point I would be surprised if Apple released a paid upgrade for X. Maybe, big maybe, in another few years if they decide to roll it over to a new version number that might be a cause for another payment, but you have to buy a Mac to run the software so Apple still gets its due (kinda like with OS X).

I'd say that stability/reliability is the most important feature. You can schedule for slower but you can't schedule for unpredictable.

Alright then. I will wait for NAB to see if Apple releases FCPX 10.3 If so I go ahead and buy the app.

jwpoof

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
If you already have FCP 7, the last pro version, just keep using it, like production houses around the world. You don't need to sidegrade to X, but you can still use it for new jobs if you want. It's not a one or other situation. Just don't expect integration, roundtripping or professional features that were built up over many years based on professional needs. They might have kept the name, like Mercedes did with the A class, but they didn't dump the real cars at the same time.
As other posters have suggested, it's unlikely another payment will be required, but at this rate, it may get Apertured.

As somebody who makes his entire living using FCPX, and FCP7 before that, it's about a million miles from being "Apertured." If you can't accomplish something "professional" with the current version of FCPX, then that's on you.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
So sick of the FCP X bashers. Did Apple screw things up with the 10.0 release? Heck yes they did. There were some major missteps, not least of which was expecting working professionals to not only learn the new software, but learn a completely new timeline concept that is way off the industry standard. However, we're going on 5 years and two major revisions. It really has evolved into quite the useful tool and it really is fast and efficient.

Altogether, FCPX, Motion and Compressor run you ~ US$400. I really don't think there is better deal out there.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
As somebody who makes his entire living using FCPX, and FCP7 before that, it's about a million miles from being "Apertured." If you can't accomplish something "professional" with the current version of FCPX, then that's on you.

/\
This

and this
\/

So sick of the FCP X bashers. Did Apple screw things up with the 10.0 release? Heck yes they did. There were some major missteps, not least of which was expecting working professionals to not only learn the new software, but learn a completely new timeline concept that is way off the industry standard. However, we're going on 5 years and two major revisions. It really has evolved into quite the useful tool and it really is fast and efficient.

Altogether, FCPX, Motion and Compressor run you ~ US$400. I really don't think there is better deal out there.

Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: LiveM

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Or add more of Compressor's functionality/power to FCPX to make common jobs easier. Apple has had over 4 years to add the FCP 7 features we lost at version 10.0, so now it's time to add some wow factor.

FCPX has the ability to use compressor presets right inside FCPX for quite a long time.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
FCPX has matured to a good workable app for pros. I believe the problem was that the industry had to adjust with the learning curve to a new workflow when it was introduced. Time is money and the 'haters' did not want to take the time to figure out how to produce and was probably more concerned withmake the deadlines etc. instead of learning a new toy. understandable, but you can't bag on the app now. It functions well and has pro enough features to make it a worthy contender for pro applications.

Apple had a hard time five years ago for acceptance with the new FCPX upgrade, so I doubt they would issue a paid upgrade soon. The app is just now starting to finally work without a lot of bugs and rendering etc. is faster.

If Apple did issue a paid upgrade soon, it would be the nail in the coffin for those that may questioned switching to alternatives. It is now just 'working' so hopefully they don't mess it up with surprises like that.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
People just hate it when something changes. Every feature lost or changed was somebody's favorite somewhere in the world, and they have to hate.

Then you have the bandwagonners who hate because their favorite pro hates it.
Don't forget he hipsters who hate it because people actually like it.

When someone complains about something without even having tried it, it is really annoying.

(sadly, this conversation really happened)
"I wish Macs had right-click properties like Windows does"

Me: "they do"

"I know, but it is so much easier on the PC."

Me :"How so? Right-click, get info. A right click is a right click"

"Well properties makes more sense. You want to get the items properties after all. And, since its at the bottom, you do not have to be as accurate with the mouse."

Me: "You want INFO about the item. Using your logic, properties might be a list of the item's real estate holdings. And you have to be just a precise with the mouse because it doesn't right-click if you overshoot."

"Windows is still more intuitive."

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
People just hate it when something changes. Every feature lost or changed was somebody's favorite somewhere in the world, and they have to hate.

Then you have the bandwagonners who hate because their favorite pro hates it.
Don't forget he hipsters who hate it because people actually like it.

When someone complains about something without even having tried it, it is really annoying.

(sadly, this conversation really happened)
"I wish Macs had right-click properties like Windows does"

Me: "they do"

"I know, but it is so much easier on the PC."

Me :"How so? Right-click, get info. A right click is a right click"

"Well properties makes more sense. You want to get the items properties after all. And, since its at the bottom, you do not have to be as accurate with the mouse."

Me: "You want INFO about the item. Using your logic, properties might be a list of the item's real estate holdings. And you have to be just a precise with the mouse because it doesn't right-click if you overshoot."

"Windows is still more intuitive."

That is just too incredibly funny!

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
I feel like most of the people who hate on FCPX haven't even used it, they just read one guy posting his thoughts and that has somehow perpetuated into "everyone thinks it sucks".

I use FCPX professionally (as in, I get paid for work I do using it) and I am absolutely satisfied with my choice to use it over Premier Pro (which the fanboys love to tell me is the "industry standard", or something like that).

Do I think it could be better? Sure. I wish Apple's entire suite of pro apps had some specific features, but that doesn't mean they are unusable for me.

Reactions: LiveM

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Coming from Premiere Pro CC, I couldn't see what could have caused so many problems and complaints. It's a joy to use and runs 4K production smooth as silk on my 2012 i5 Mac Mini.

I do think video editors in general should be much more like photo editors, and it's stupid that you have do something so differently, but FCPX saved me from giving up making videos altogether, such was the dread and tedium of using other NLEs.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I feel like most of the people who hate on FCPX haven't even used it, they just read one guy posting his thoughts and that has somehow perpetuated into "everyone thinks it sucks".

I think this goes both directions. There are blind brand loyalists on all sides, which I'll never understand.

The whole concept of "your NLE sucks, mine is awesome" is counterproductive and stupid. Anyone who's looking to have a long career in this business will learn and use all of the different tools at their disposal.

Premier Pro (which the fanboys love to tell me is the "industry standard", or something like that).

I think it depends on what segment of the industry they're talking about, but for better or worse, Avid will likely retain that title for the immediate future.

FCPX saved me from giving up making videos altogether, such was the dread and tedium of using other NLEs.

I'm honestly trying to imagine what was so painful with other NLEs that it had you almost quit on using them altogether? None of them are very complicated to use.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I kinda have to agree with Pete.

No need for brand loyalty unless that brand is somehow loyal to you. I just happen to like FCPX. I've dabbled in Premier but didn't like it enough to change over. I am not loyal to Apple. I happen to like OS X better than Windows, Linux, or Chrome. I made a decision that I would make things work in OS X rather than boot camp or VM Ware. Should I ever like Apple OS less, I can and will switch to whatever makes me happy at that time. I came to Microsoft from Amiga's when Commodore's dwindling market share became unworkable for me. If I have swapped twice, I can definitely swap a third time.

Ultimately, it you YOUR LIFE you are spending on whatever tool or software you are using. Make sure it is working for you, not the other way around. If you are getting paid to edit video, it should involve as little pain as possible for the results you desire. Ditto for editing photos, working on lawn mowers, or growing carrots.

Lots of people are able to earn a living editing in Avid, Premier, FCP 7, FCP X, Vegas, Edius, Pinnacle, and many others. If you absolutely love one, I am sure you can find a way.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
I think this goes both directions. There are blind brand loyalists on all sides, which I'll never understand.

The whole concept of "your NLE sucks, mine is awesome" is counterproductive and stupid. Anyone who's looking to have a long career in this business will learn and use all of the different tools at their disposal.

Yeah, I agree with this, but I think that FCPX gets a lot of hate from people who haven't actually used it simply because it had a bad launch.

I work in broadcast news and my employer predominantly uses Avid, with a couple of production groups using Premier and an even smaller number using FCPX.

I don't think someone saying that they prefer one NLE over another is akin to saying "yours sucks, mine is awesome". Most people I work with prefer to stick with a single NLE because they can work faster, but we're all able and capable of using whatever the project requires us to use.

Yes, my original comment was perhaps an unfair indictment of Premier fans, however I still consider it to be, anecdotally, a fair assessment based on what I've seen within my industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.