Will there be a thinner and lighter Apple Watch 2 next year?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by saintforlife, Mar 10, 2015.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

How often do you think Apple will upgrade the Apple Watch. I am not sure if people can stomach paying $1000-$1500 for a smart watch and then finding out it is already outdated a year later. This leads me to believe the Apple Watch might not be on a yearly upgrade cycle. Thoughts?

2. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Apple better upgrade the battery to at least 10x where it is now.

So making it thinner and lighter while keeping the battery life where it is makes no sense...

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That probably will determine when the next upgrade will occur. Until the battery life can be improved an upgrade makes little to no sense.

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Definitely. Apple are obsessed with thinner and lighter. The watch will be no exception.

The only question mark is will it be next year? Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it was this year.

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

There will certainly be an updated model. Knowing that makes even the $550 model a hard pill to swallow. Not only is Apple super late to this watch game, they came in priced waaaay above the rest.

6. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'm not so sure. Apple is apparently angling the Watch as a timepiece, and it's smart to maintain a similar case design to become a iconic design in the watch world. I bet it'll be 2-3 years before a physical change.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

We all know Apple's obsession with thinness. It's pretty much a given. Regardless, I'll be getting a new Apple Watch every year...just sell the older one and buy the newer one. Thing is, Apple resell value is always high and barely drops...even when a new model comes out.

8. hidehide macrumors 6502

I was planning to start a thread about this.. And here it goes.

I would really like to know how often Apple is going to release update given such high price tag..

Although I'm thinking the watch edition is completely non sense, for $10,000, I can buy a nice timepiece that can last decades, while I don't think this apple watch will last more than 3-4 years (new technology emerges or you no longer use an iPhone anymore) .. Paying for $700 for it can still be justified if it can last 3-4 years and no new product is replacing it..

9. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Apple Watch S next year, Apple Watch 2 year after. ;)

10. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

The device you buy is the same wether or not there's a new one, and it's going to last as long as it's going to last either way.

11. odds macrumors 6502

Sure, there will *be* a new Apple Watch in the future. I don't think there will be a change in case design for at least 2 years, however. The Apple Watch is a new product and an entirely new category for Apple; They're not going to treat it exactly like they treat the iPhone. That's for sure.

Apple has some of the brightest marketers, designers, engineers, and tech-leaders in the world. You can bet that they're going to try their best to create the best new Watch they possibly can. You can *also* bet that they'll be supporting the first generation Apple Watch for many years to come. Apple is very loyal to their customer base in this way: they support their devices for at least ~5 years after their initial release.

Who knows, though? It wouldn't be hard for Apple to upgrade the internals of the first generation Apple Watch, either. Some people may "fall in love" with their Apple Watch and, when a new model comes out, they may want to stick with their current model's design. We already know Apple will swap batteries. Maybe they'll upgrade the S1 and the sensors, too. They certainly wouldn't have announced it yesterday even if they plan on doing it in the future.

12. yegon macrumors 68020

13. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I don't think that this is a product that Apple will be obsessed with thinness on. A premium feeling watch can only be so thin before it doesn't have a premium feel to it anymore. If Apple is truly thinking of this more as jewelry then I don't see them ever trying to make it super thin and light.

14. apple.snapple macrumors regular

I think just the existence of the $10k edition makes me question a yearly, bi-yearly, or even longer upgrade cycle.

I know, I know... super-rich Saudi-prince, would buy a $10k watch yearly without a second thought, but for the typical American upper class, $200k-300k/yr salary, I can't see the Edition being more than a once every 5-10 year purchase... if that.

15. odds macrumors 6502

Well said. I had this thought on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't find the right words to express it.

The weight of a watch really conveys a lot to most users, I think. When you hold a Rolex in your hand and you notice its weight, you think, "Yeah. This is a nice watch." Then, when you pick up a <insert lower-quality brand here> watch and you feel its weight, you think, "Yeah. This doesn't feel nearly as nice as that Rolex."

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

That is a definite possibility. One more reason to get the least expensive option ($349) or just wait till the next one comes out.

17. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

This Pope? Maybe not.

The Apple Watch? I don't see a major redesign for at least two years. They'd lose space and battery power. They'd have to change all the straps potentially. There'd be uproar.

The basic design of the MacBook Air hasn't changed at all, really. Ditto the MacBook. And the iPad, since the first one.

They change the iPhone every two years. But only because we don't really know how much they cost because they're bundled in with contracts.

18. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

You want to maintain an iconic design, if you're hoping to scratch the itch of some watch enthusiasts. I could see the design staying the same for a while, with just improvements to processing power and battery life. The Watch is only 10.5mm thick, which is on the average to thin side of mechanical watches.

19. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Probably on a similar cycle to the iPhones. Outside stays the same but innards are upgraded one year, next year the exterior gets redesigned.

20. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

On the other hand, Apple needs to keep selling.

Maybe they're hoping the straps will be the money maker longer term. New strap collections every season?

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

"Not only is Apple super late to this watch game"

- This means nothing because there is no smartwatch out there that is successful.

Pebble has had a 2 year head start and only sold 400,000 units.

Samsung claims to have sold 800,000 Gear watches with a 1 year head start. (Samsung CEO announced that they are no longer going to make smart watches)

These numbers are a joke. Apple will likely sell 1 million units in the first weekend alone (assuming they made enough).

" they came in priced waaaay above the rest"

The only other smart watch out there right now that works with the iPhone is the Pebble watch. The entry level Apple watch at $350.00 does a heck of a lot more than a Pebble watch that's priced at $200.00

I disagree with you price assessment. You can't use a Samsung Gear as a comparison because it does not work with the iPhone (Samsung's choice).

22. KPOM macrumors G5

I think the updates will be more subtle and not the type to make people think that their old watches are obsolete. We might get a 2 day battery if they can reduce power consumption, for instance. Maybe we'll get some more health sensors. I expect this to be something replaced once every 3-4 years, or even longer.

----------

Have they actually said this? I was thinking that lots of companies actually want the Apple Watch to succeed as they think it will be a rising tide that lifts all boats.

23. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

All their battery-non-replaceable devices are on a yearly cycle: iPhones and iPads

All their battery-replaceable devices are on a 2-3 year cycle: Macs and Watches

24. tann macrumors 68000

Here's my thoughts.

Apple have specifically said a few times how proud they are of their watch strap attaching mechanism.

They must see the potential to just sell loads of different watch straps 'a strap for every occasion'. This is much more appealing to me than a different say, case for my phone depending on the situation.

I think they will release a new watch, maybe tweaked design but not much different, maybe thinner, maybe lighter (but with a watch lightness can equate to cheapness). But I think they will DEFINITELY keep that strap attach bit the same (like they did with the 30-pin) for a few years at least.

Next year we'll see a $299 Apple Watch Sport, just without a strap!

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Just a note. Those numbers are for 2013.

• After two years, 2013-14, Pebble has sold over a million units.
    • In 2014, Samsung sold over 2 million units (50+% of the 2014 market).

And Samsung Electronic's CEO just spoke at CES about really being into smartwatch and other wearable projects.

True, the Apple Watch will no doubt sell even more in a short period, and that won't be surprising. Sales were already doubling each of the past few years, and interest is getting ripe.