Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013
I mean it would've been a good idea. :)

Apple would only do something that they know they can succeed in.

You have probably noticed that Apple doesn't make gaming laptops. If they did make gaming laptops , Apple wouldn't be as popular as they are now and of course they wouldn't be making as much money as they do now.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
if you integrate touchscreen on the ipad and the MacBook, it would be great.

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
After using a touchscreen laptop for a month i'll give it a big fat naaah.
Most awkward thing ever, if you want a laptop get a laptop and if you want a touchscreen get a tablet.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
if you integrate touchscreen on the ipad and the MacBook, it would be great.

I can shoot your idea down in with two words:

Ergonomy.

Smudges.

Put one of your arm in front of you, parallel to the ground as if you were using a touchscreen laptop. Hold the position. How long will it take you before your shoulder aches? I'm thinking less than 2 minutes for most people.

It's just a really bad idea.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I already find myself cleaning my retina display almost daily just from accidental smudges or whatever. I couldn't imagine if it were touchscreen, I'd go freaking bananas.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
how do you live with your phone then?

I am constantly wiping the screen off. I really can't stand how nasty smudge screens are. Or glass in general for that matter. I see some people laptops and it looks like they smeared a stick of butter all over the screen. It's pretty damn disgusting.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010
I rue the day Apple introduces a touchscreen MacBook. Microsoft has it all wrong; 8 is one of the greatest abominations in the history of operating systems. When will people understand? Cursor > Finger.

The only passably cool thing about a touch screen notebook is if it folds on itself and you could draw on it as you would a Cintiq tablet. Otherwise, I vehemently hate touch screens on notebooks.

RyanNeedham

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
“The reason OS X has a different interface than iOS isn’t because one came after the other or because this one’s old and this one’s new,” Federighi said. Instead, it’s because using a mouse and keyboard just isn’t the same as tapping with your finger. “This device,” Federighi said, pointing at a MacBook Air screen, “has been honed over 30 years to be optimal” for keyboards and mice. Schiller and Federighi both made clear that Apple believes that competitors who try to attach a touchscreen to a PC or a clamshell keyboard onto a tablet are barking up the wrong tree."

i had this in my notes from a while ago, it seems like apple would be reluctant to do a combo device because of the UI differences.

interesting thing though, the science museum in london has OS X devices with touch screens in some of their exhibits. they seem to be just running a keynote presentation or something but i was there early one morning and one failed and just had the OS X home screen working perfectly well with a touchscreen (assumed 3rd party enabled)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see it occurring because of Apple's philosophy. Most of the laptops that are touch screen are a hybrid laptop/tablet and all of them are not really good as a tablet. Additionally, they did that to help justify the Metro interface of Windows.

There's no advantage imo, to having a laptop with a touch screen, it will definitely give you arm fatigue as you reach to use the screen. There are better ways to interact with the computer imo

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Nope I don't believe there will ever be a touchscreen MBP. Remember Apple's keynote on monday for example. If I recall it correctly, when they talked about the fact that they were going to add a trackpad gesture feature in Yosemite to make signatures etc; they said a trackpad was way more convenient to do things like that on a notebook. This explains a bit Apple philosophy when it comes to touch & notebooks.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
My friend has one of those Sony Vaio Duos, basically a removable tablet laptop, and I agree with Crugga. It's very awkward, kinda made me wonder if I was drunk or not. I chalked it up to not being used to it [at all]. It was like my brain didn't know what to do....use it as a laptop or as a tablet :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I really doubt it. Apple has their touch devices already, the iPad/iPhone/iPod. Adding more touch to the Mac line doesn't seem like something they would do at this point.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Apple has instead focused on making the perfect trackpad, which has no PC equal. A touch screen on a standard laptop is pointless, and it honestly feels more like a gimmick more than anything. I didn't like it when HP started selling those $hiitty touchsmart AIOs and I still don't like it now. Cursor w/ perfect trackpad > mediocre touchscreen all day long. In fact, apple has gotten so good with the trackpad that it works well even with desktop computers.

Plus, in many cases with PC laptops, you get a horrible trackpad with a mediocre touch screen. I can't use a windows laptop without a mouse without going mad.

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
Apple would only do something that they know they can succeed in.

You have probably noticed that Apple doesn't make gaming laptops. If they did make gaming laptops , Apple wouldn't be as popular as they are now and of course they wouldn't be making as much money as they do now.

Well they market their laptops for gaming, even with benchmarks for games. This means that they see their laptops as an option for people who play games with their computers. That means they do make ”professional” laptops that are also aimed at gamers. You know what’s also aimed at gamers? Gaming laptops.
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance-retina/

”Take your gaming to a whole new level. Millions of pixels give you gameplay with more detail and nuance than you thought possible. Even in the most intense action games, superfast processors and graphics give you amazing fluidity and smoothness. MacBook Pro with Retina display is so thin and light, you can play wherever you go. And with all the games available on the Mac App Store, you’ll have no trouble finding something to play.”

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Remember Steve Jobs was asked about this a couple of years before his death. What he said was that they did make a number of prototypes that went trough fairly extensive testing, but the end conclusion was that they simply weren't comfortable to use, so they never stopped development on them.

Apple has a tendency to kill products and features pretty far into development because of major issues like this despite the fact they will still probably make back the money. Another way of putting it is to say that they put brand name over short term profits.

However Tim Cook hasn't been afraid of letting the developers do away with things Steve originally wanted put in, like the skeuomorphism in iOS and OSX, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the rumored ARM Macbook Air also had a touch screen.

egy195

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
i hope not.
keep them separated, you want a touchscreen get an ipad, look how the surface pro is doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.