Will there be another mac mini release this year?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by p.helwig, Sep 20, 2012.

  1. p.helwig macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    #1
    Hey there, I'm thinking about buying a mac mini. Do you guys think there will be another release this year? should I wait? or is it ok to buy the mid 2011 model right now.

    Thanks!
     
  2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Location:
    ladner cdn
  3. MacSignal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2010
    #3
    Wait if you can wait. Maybe October...maybe longer. Probably marginally faster and cooler operation from Intel Ivy Bridge CPU's with improved Intel HD 4000 graphics, but I am most interested in the likely addition of USB3.
     
  4. p.helwig thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    #4
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    I can wait a couple of weeks.....
     
  5. longer.zhou macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    #5
    I have been thinking about buying a Mini for a long time. And i recently heard a news that Apple would release a new Mini soon. But this has not been confirmed. So, if you can wait, just wait a couple of weeks.
     
  6. Mr. McMac Suspended

    Mr. McMac

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2009
    Location:
    Far away from liberals
    #6
    I bought a base model last month. I have no regrets. Added 8 gigs of memory, made a huge difference over the stock 2 gigs..
     
  7. Micky Do macrumors 68000

    Micky Do

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2012
    Location:
    An island in the Andaman Sea.
    #7
    Get one if you need it

    If you need a computer now, get one. If you don't, and can wait, then wait. Simple really
     
  8. Lancer macrumors 68020

    Lancer

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    Location:
    Australia
    #8
    I've been waiting since May, still tossing up between the Mini and iMac, just waiting to see what Apple delivers before the end of the year. I'd like an Mac 27" but the Mini could work with a 24" screen then I can sit both it and my G5's 24" on the same desktop. Later when I sell the G5 I could have 2x LCDs hanging off the Mini.

    It's now more urgent as I can't get the new iPhone as it's not longer supported on my G5 :(

    But I'm willing to wait, checked out the new iPhone today and I'm not over whelmed by it. I mean it will be a big step up from my 3Gs but again like the G5 I can wait.
     
  9. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #9
    Mac Mini - will it Survive

    Difficult to say what Apple are doing with their actual non-portable devices - AKA, desktops.

    FWIW, Apple have lost me as a customer for any Ivy Bridge related products, which means I'll keep going with my iMac 2011 i& 27in and 2010 Mac Mini until late 2013, when I hope Haswell will be powering their devices.

    Given Ivy Bridge CPU's are now passé, I'm looking forward to Haswell launch in first quarter 2013 and purchasing Haswell powered iMac's and Mac Mini in the final quarter of 2013 - now if only Apple can stick to these timeframes I'm happy - but cannot now justify investing in technology that has been on the market since April.

    Indeed, perhaps Apple could pay more attention to its desktops and OSX, rather than making everything a iOS device - if I want a toy I'll purchase a Fisher Price device - real computing requires a desktop and its time Apple remembers this.
     
  10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #10
    Haswell Q2. Btw, Apple makes 70% of their profit from those toys. If anything, Macs will disappear before those toys will.
     
  11. p.helwig thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    #11
    yeah that sounds simple, but I've been waiting since july.... Do you think it will be this year?
     
  12. geneking7320 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2012
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #12
    A Chip Question May Be In Order

    The present [non-server] Minis run dual core I5 or I7 Sandy Bridge chips.
    Have their Ivy Bridge analogues appeared on the scene yet? If not, when are they due? We might just be waiting for chips.
     
  13. fa8362 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #13
    The chips have been available for months.
     
  14. mwhities macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Location:
    Mississippi
  15. Poki macrumors 6502a

    Poki

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2012
    #15
    A Haswell iMac/Mac Mini release next may? I'll wait anyways ... Just have to rent a Mac if they don't release one this year. ;(
     
  16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #16
    Given the current delay (totally uncalled for, IMO), I would expect Haswell Macs mid to late next year (June-October), assuming we see new Macs in the next couple of weeks. If we don't, it could mean that Apple has decided to skip over IB completely for the desktop, which would be sad indeed. I am hoping to catch a refurb Haswell mini in early 2014 to replace my 2009 mini (whose life is being extended via 8GB RAM and an SSD).
     
  17. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #17
    Guys, I had dinner w/ an Apple employee who knows release dates. He told me to wait on a Mini purchase, which I took as sometime in October. I have waited diligently since June, needing a Thunderbolt machine to drive an TB Display, which I got a good deal on for $650.

    But now, after waiting so long, and Ivy is already 6 mos old, I'm thinking of buying the Intel NUC, which will have an i3 with TB, and retail < $400. I'm not wedded to OSX, especially on the desktop, since I use it mainly for working on Excel, which is better under Win7 for business use. Apple may have lost a Mini sale by waiting so long to upgrade.

    http://www.tonymacx86.com/216-intel-nuc-coming-potentially-smallest-customac-yet.html
    Question is: will this drive a TB Display?
     
  18. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #18
    well it will have 4000 graphics. if you don't game it could work. it can use a standard mSata ssd which means this one will work


    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...sr=8-1&keywords=msata+ssd+256gb&condition=new


    that little machine with a 256gb ssd would be pretty good
     
  19. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

    Ice Dragon

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #19
    I'm skeptical but we'll see if we see one in October.
     
  20. Gozar macrumors regular

    Gozar

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #20
    Buy what you want when you want it. There will always be something new coming.
    I bought the $799 Mini 2 weeks ago and do not, and will not regret it. Works great and does what I need it to.
     
  21. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

    Santabean2000

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #21
    With the only exception being if there is a 'confirmed, imminent' release about to happen. Otherwise, it is as exactly as simple as you suggested.
     

Share This Page