Will there be Apple Watch 2 on the march event?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

will there be? I can't wait for the second gen.

Also is there a way you can track distance u ran in the Apple Watch? I know my iPod nano/watch could but can the Apple Watch track distance in miles as well?

2. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yes, use the Workout app on the watch and select outdoor run.

4. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

no... just bands and maybe some software

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

6. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

That sucks... When do u think the new watch will come out? The first one came out summer of 2015

7. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

As others have said, it appears that there will be new bands and maybe, just maybe, some different material watches but still version 1. My guess is just bands and maybe a new partnership or two. Wishing for more watch faces. :)

8. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

I heard on cult of Mac that there might be an "S" upgrade.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

My guess is no Watch 2. But there will be a new Apple wearable in the "fitness band" category.

It will be called Band:
    • $179 price point to tempt new buyers into Apple's "wearable" ecosystem.
    • Band will be bought by many existing* Apple Watch owners so they have something less bulky to wear to the gym, while swimming or sleeping (while their big Watch is charging)
    • Band will provide robust, built-in applications: Heart rate monitor, activity tracking, sleep tracking, notifications, bluetooth music and/or siri remote. Maybe even Pay - so you can buy your protein shake after the gym? In short, enough built-in utility to compete with all the established bands.
    • Smaller (possibly monochrome) screen.
    • Pared-down UI.
    • Rugged, durable Fitbit/Up sort-of finish.
    Much the same approach as the classic iPod line: A price point for everyone.

* Is this why iOS 9.3 supports pairing with multiple "Watches"? Same as how iTunes supports syncing with multiple iPods.

10. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

11. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

"There will be..." - where are you getting this from? Because I honestly don't see ANY of that happening.

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Sounds like you think Apple come up with plan to accelate it's down fall of 2016 total revenue, by allowing part of 70% of smart watch buyer to pay less for a $179 band, instead of $500-$1000 AW?

You must have wrong company, create a cheaper product try to outsell by qty, this is what Samsung will do, not Apple.
    If not more, Apple will introduce more partner and band combination like Hermes, and generate more revenue for watch.
    Apple has always in the game for total revenue, not necessary qty sell.

Selling more cheaper does not make it better.

If Apple is playing cheaper game, they would already come up with cheap $200-300 smartphone already.

13. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Yes, Samsung is exactly who will do this...

14. nicho macrumors 68000

from his guess, like he said in the first two words?

yeah, if it would be as he described it, i could see it priced at $349 or maybe at a pinch $299.

apple recently seem to have a price point they want, and they'll offer you choices at that price point but rarely everything everyone would want at once (look at the portable mac lineup)

critics will pan it for being "inferior to the apple watch sport" and a rip off; stocks will dive; fitbit etc owners who weren't convinced will buy it in their millions and tim cook will be laughing all the way to the bank (but obviously hoping the share price recovers when it's time to divest his stock options in 10/15 years time)

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Ahem:

[​IMG]

It's not about sacrificing margin. It's about market segmentation and buy-up: Get customers hooked on a 'cheapie' and they'll be back for the 'big' model.

But you have to get them through the door first. And $350 is still too much for many, right now.

16. jasie02, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

You are really a simple person, you are introduce a Apple revenue "killer" (in a bad way) product based on this picture, 4 music device and one iPhone, which Steve use to show the WHOLE family of portable device.

It will not happen, Apple Band, for $179. In the dream, maybe.

By the way, if your Apple Band ever come out, you will buy BOTH Apple Watch and Apple Band, when they both do everything same just in different size, as you indicated, so Apple will increase revenue because people is buying AW will also buy Apple Band?

Also if Apple introduce a $179 cheap band, compared with $349+ Sports AW (most selling model of AW), that is 50% less revenue, and everytime someone go into Apple Store looking for AW, they will not want to save 50% $$$ from buying Sports AW? Apple spend all these money to hire new VP and create new way to sell "high end watch" product is all moot point?

Added: If Apple going to cheap route, why not also come up with Apple ring, Apple necklets, Apple earring, all with some/most function of Apple Watch. Now, that will complete a whole family photo.

Added more: If Apple ever come out with a Band, it will be selling $299, $50 less than 38mm Sports SW, not $179. Apple never say 38mm is for female or male, it is just smaller display. Apple will sell it as alternative wearing style of iPhone extension with even smaller foot plane, not to compete with other cheaper band market. Apple does not want to compete in existing lower revenue market, they want to pull people out of existing market into new modified higher revenue market.

17. nicho macrumors 68000

it was marketed as the smallest, not the cheapest. it was apple's first flash memory device... apple isn't averse to making devices which end up doubling up as a test bed for something else. look at the 6th generation nano.

limited storage capacity and capabilities limited the price point they could go for at the time.

the ipod nano is currently $149 vs $199 for the same storage in an ipod touch. ipod mini was introduced at $249; the ipod 4th gen that followed the same year was $299 with 5x the storage.

18. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I'm intrigued by the rumor that they will debut a smart-band that has additional sensors or GPS and interfaces through the mysterious "diagnostic" side port. Then again why would Apple introduce more sensors when they don't even use all the ones the Apple Watch has already got? Maybe it will be a rugged adventure band that adds GPS, extends battery life, and adds protection and water-proofing by including a full case? Something you could take on a multi-day trip into the back-country without running out of juice? Not that I need ANY of that. I'm just curious.

It seems too soon for Watch OS3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they announce some new features available in an OS update.

19. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

If Apple doesn't introduce something besides a 4" iPhone upgrade for the budget model 5s, some new watch bands, and a processor upgrade for a Mac, then it's going to be a banner day for the competition.

I fully expect Watch 2 to be introduced to make this an "event" along with new bands, and new partnerships for the Gen 2 watch. And instead of a $179 band, we will get a $250/300 Gen 1 watch price reduction, and a Watch OS update.

That will help Apple expand their watch sales with the same tactic that grew their iPhone experience for budget minded customers. If nothing else, the Gen 1 watch is iconic in design, and for $100 less, a bargain. Though I expect they will limit it to the Sport, and maybe one or two basic stainless models, though all the bands will still be available for purchase separately.

On the other hand, if Apple has some other announcement up its sleeve, then they won't need the 2nd Gen watch.

20. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

The new iPad is expected to be announced with the possibility of the Apple Pencil. That was the other almost certainty with the iPhone 5se and some watch announcement.

21. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

The new iPad is what I'm more excited about! Unless they announce some really cool new Watch features...

I'm still rocking the iPad 3 with 30-pin connector. It's a work device. I work for a state university, hence the age of the iPad :p. Anyway, it's up for replacement this year, so I'd be happy to get the latest and greatest in the same size. I have played with an iPad Pro, and it was really impressive... especially with how responsive the Apple Pencil is. I think the standard iPad is just a better size for general use and meetings. I don't really care about using the Pencil. It's impressive but I will take a keyboard (even a virtual one) over a stylus for text entry any day. Maybe if I were an artist or someone who enjoys using a pen/pencil I would be more interested. My wife is both an artist and architect, and I could see the iPad Pro offering some interesting CAD apps one day (if they aren't already available).

Sean

22. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

AW2 or AWS will be announced along with iPhone 7 in Step.

$100 off gen1 when gen2 announced is possible, but it will be Sports only, SS and edition will be discontinued and just roll out with gen2.

23. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Good point, but considering the iPad's sales are in decline, it's not all that impressive a product to headline a show either. The watch is sexy. The iPad is more of the same ... but with a Pencil. Though that's a little better than the rest of the Watchless line-up, it still seems like a hodgepodge of stuff.

But I'm still not sure that they're going to enable to the Pencil on any other device until the Pro is a little more saturated.

Side note, I was at the Apple Store today with a friend, and we were looking at the Pro, and she picked up the Pencil and couldn't get it to work with any app we tried. I have no idea if we were just doing it wrong, or if it was broken, but it likely cost Apple a sale with her. Three tries and she was frustrated with it, not seeing any of the magic that I know it can do.

24. nicho macrumors 68000

was it paired?

last time i went in they had 6 ipads. three with keyboards, 3 with pencils. maybe someone had paired the pencil to a keyboard ipad to test it and nobody had put it back?

pairing is easy. take off cap, insert in lightning port, remove, replace cap.

25. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

The Pencil was tethered to the iPad Pro. If it was unpaired somebody did that intentionally, not to use it on another iPad. But honestly, if that's what has to happen, it's going to frustrate potential customers.

I plan on getting a new iPad when it supports the Pencil, specifically for the Pencil, so I'll be able to properly demo it for my friends. The pro is cool, but it's too big for my needs.

However, Apple should treat the Pencil more like the Watch, and make appointments to demonstrate it, if this kind of thing is going to happen.

Odd thing though, I was in the Sherman Oaks store which is kind of small, and I don't remember seeing an Watch display anywhere. I must have just missed it somehow, because that's just not possible?