Will There Be Long Lines This Time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chukronos, Oct 5, 2011.

1. chukronos macrumors 6502

There seem to be a lot of people disappointed with the 4s. For me, it doesn't seem worth the upgrade from the 4g. So, I won't be in line. Do you think there will be as long of lines as the past launch events?

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yes, especially since a 3rd carrier has been added.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There have been long lines for every iPhone model released each year. This year will be no different.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I would expect much shorter lines than in previous launches due to this merely being a "spec bump". There will stil be lines, but much shorter.

5. chukronos thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what I was thinking. However, the 3gs had enormous lines. It will be interesting to see what happens. So far, every iphone model has been compelling enough for most current iphone users to want to upgrade. From the people in my circles (for whatever that is worth), the sentiment seems to be different this time around. No one cares to upgrade this time. As it gets closer to launch time, a lot of them may change their minds. We'll see.

6. psblake macrumors member

You will have no problem getting a 4S the first week. Apple has totally angered a huge amount of 4 users. Most of the current 4 users are yawning and will be sleeping in on the release date.

The practical logical, aside from the fanboy disappointment, problem here is that the contract renewal will ruin the upgrade path to the 5 if a 4 users gets the 4S right away.

7. boomish macrumors regular

I think with a lot of even us Apple fans being disapointed, the bad press, and Samsung launching the new Nexus Prime in a few days, no way will there be long lines. But who knows as they said in the keynote there are a lot of people still to get a smart phone..

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Initially the lines will be as big as ever, but afterwards it will mellow out faster than with the 4.

9. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I'm sure the lines will be long. People are only disappointed because it looks the same. You can't see the internal hardware, you can see a new case. The phone is actually good, people were just expecting so much more because of rumors.

10. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

There won't be long lines everywhere, maybe in the busy high populated regions but nobody will be camping out for this one.

11. whawhat macrumors 6502

Friday and the weekend will be hectic but I'm predicting by Monday you'll be able to pick one up with no line.

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

But at the time the 3GS was only on AT&T. Now that Verizon and Sprint are in the mix it might not be as crazy.

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Add to that the unlimited selection of other devices now on the market compared to when the 3GS was released. There will always be long lines, it just will die down quicker this time around.

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

have you learned nothing here? the second you state a projection as fact, it's almost always guaranteed to play out the opposite way.

I say there will be plenty of lines. People forget that every year, millions of people adopt the iPhone for the first time. The customer base is not entirely built from previous model's owners.

15. hpucker99 macrumors newbie

My 1st iPhone

Apple serves 2 markets, those who buy about every release and those whose first smart phone will be an iPhone. I'm in the latter category and the 4s may be enough to get me to buy my first cell phone. I was leaning towards buying the Touch and getting a no-contract cvell phone, but I am tuned off by the current camera in the Touch and having to carry 2 devices. The prices for the 3s, 4 and 4s are a fraction of the carrier contract fees.

16. iSari, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

iSari macrumors member

iSari

I am so disappointed! what the hell have you done Mr. Cook? :mad: its like the :apple: is getting more bites!:(

I was expecting much more from this "very boring event" and a little bit more "enthusiasm", but it looks like the new CEO won't ever make it big like the amazing Steve Jobs. However, I need an iPhone (and because I don't have one) I'll buy this one, hoping to buy/see a better one next year! :)

iSari :apple:

17. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

why do people assume that every single iphone users are using the ip4? what about people who are using 3G or 3GS? The lines will be long for those looking to upgrade or for people who have never owned an iphone before. I know people who are BB users or android users who want to go to Apple. Problem with these message boards is that some think it comprises the entire Apple user base. They are not even a drop in a bathtub in terms of hundreds of millions of people who buy Apple products.

18. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Just order it online, hell you might even get it 1 day early.

19. guch20 macrumors 6502

guch20

Although it was years ago, a (possibly) good metric to use would be the lines for the 3GS launch.

20. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I think some people here are forgetting that most people don't know about all the rumors. Most people were not let down by this release because their expectations had not been built up by all the rumors.

The 4S will be a very good phone. It will be much quicker then the iPhone 4 and it will be a decent upgrade.

The people on these forums, many of whom are disappointed, make up a TINY section of the market.

21. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

NO line for 3GS! I walked a 2pm the in 10minute later I had it, and that was on the release first day. :rolleyes:

22. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Same here at my local AT&T store in NC. Walked in and was out in 25 minutes with the 3GS on day 1.

23. Menel Suspended

Menel

No such thing a 4G.
    You're one of those statistics that thinks iPhone 4 has 4G capability aren't you.

24. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

for the 3GS I was able to walk right up to the Apple store and purchase it on my lunch break...but there are at least 5 Apple Stores in my area...but after the initial release day the hype (what little there is)should die down

25. pettifogger06 macrumors member

I think it will still be very popular. At some point the demand will probably ease simply because competition has increased. That said, I'd estimate that 10% of the population, max, has ever heard of any Nexus, much less the Prime.

I think people may be underestimating how the 4s will do on VZ. I think the general consensus is that people just got the 4 on Verizon, so they won't upgrade. Probably wise. However, I think many people, like myself, declined to upgrade half way through the cycle. I think a lot of us held out for the new model, and aren't willing to wait any longer.