Will there ever be a wired backlit keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ruk110, Dec 4, 2010.

1. ruk110 macrumors regular

ruk110

Does anybody thing there will there ever be a wired backlit keyboard? such as for a iMac or Mac Mini? would be a nice little extra?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Since they just discontinued the stand alone wired keyboard I'm guessing there's not much of a chance.

3. ruk110 thread starter macrumors regular

ruk110

umm nah i just checked on the apple website and they're still selling them!

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

They discontinued the wired mini keyboard (the one with no number pad). They still sell the full sized wired keyboard with the numberpad and the smaller wireless keyboard with no number pad.

I wish they would sell an illuminated keyboard. I bought a Logitech illuminated keyboard and I really like it. Heck, Logitech now even makes a wireless illuminated keyboard. I doubt Apple will ever sell one, though.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Doubt it would happen with a bluetooth keyboard, which is what Apple likes to make. I'd imagine the battery life would be horrible on a bluetooth+backlit keyboard.

6. mcx macrumors newbie

Oh come on.
    What is the problem with changing the batteries all 3 than 4 weeks?
    Look I use a wireless bluetooth keyboard and a magic mouse.
    I bought the apple battery pack and the charger. 4 of the 6 batteries are in use the other two are for backup.
    If the battery life of one device runs out I change them and put they into the charger. That procedure takes only 30 seconds or less.
    I think it is worth to spent some seconds per month to have a great backlighted keyboard.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Doubt they would be able to put LEDs in there without making the keyboard slightly thicker. You know Apple doesn't go backwards.

8. blackreplica macrumors member

I have the wired keyboard with the number pad. Just wanted to say that if a backlit version of my exact keyboard came out, i would be all over it in a heartbeat.

9. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

10. mcx macrumors newbie

I think that's possibile. Look at the iPhone 4. I always surprised again how apple is able to make the stuff smaller and better.
    I want a keyboard with black keys and blacklight in the same look as my macbook's keyboard.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Approving the iPhone 4 for release with a known antenna problem certainly wasn't a brilliant move forward.

Funny how much better my 3GS was, compared to the iPhone 4's I've had.

Oh well I guess using fuzzy logic one could make a case for just about anything. :)

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The keys would have to be black, so the letters could be white, so the light could shine through.

13. mcx macrumors newbie

Look at that way.
    Apple made a step in the right direction.
    The steel frame as antenna is something completely new.
    Sure that there are some problem on the first gen.
    When apple released the iphone 3g and 3gs i said I don't buy a new one until apple use this polymer case. As long as they don't create a aluminum or something like that body I use my 2g.
    The antenna gate is not nice but apple work as a pioneer on this field.
    I think its better to have a phone build from steel and class than one who is ugly with a polymer body.
    Im sure that the antenna gate is fixed with the next generation of iphone

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I wish they would release an aluminum keyboard with black keys. They do it on all the notebooks, so why not on the stand-alone keyboards?

15. mcx macrumors newbie

Im sure that the next gen keyboards ll have black keys.

16. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I thought that, too. I have been waiting on it since the first gen unibody MBPs, though.

17. ruk110 thread starter macrumors regular

ruk110

No waywill they need to make the keyboard any thicker- if anything they ca still make it slimmer. In this modern world of technology there are LED's out there that are half the size of a grain of rice!

As for battery power, LED's take next to nothing to be powered so should not put such a massive load on a wireless one-

Even so, not ALL keyboards in the entire world are wireless, if anything most of them are wired, so battery consumption wouldn't be an issue. i reckon a little handy on/off switch for the backlighting would be nice! :)

18. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Is that keyboard the same on in this deal: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=100363&t=2632331 ? Are you using it w/ your Mac - how do you like it? The A1016 bluetooth full apple keyboard my parents were using w/ their mac mini has died so I want to give them my old wired mac keyboard (along w/ old wired mac mouse - that doesn't right click) and get a new keyboard for myself.