Will there ever be new DISPLAYS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LBJ54, Jun 10, 2008.

1. LBJ54 macrumors newbie

I have a tower and would like a new display. Do not care for the ones that are out plus They need to be updated. Seems everything else has. Do you think Apple will no longer bother with new displays? Seems their focus is on the i phone and "little Gadgets" and the imac etc. Are Apple displays a thing of the past??

2. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

LCD Buyer's Guide

3. LBJ54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have been looking at that DOn't buy updates soon for a year now??

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Apple will update the Displays eventually. they will most likely add HDCP support when all Mac hardware is HDCP compatible and OS X has Blu-ray support.

The displays atm are still decent and have excellent colour, its just they dont have multiple inputs.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I agree with richthomas. Apart from the inputs, the ACDs are excellent. It's all about the color. I recommend getting one now, and just enjoy it. Apple will keep you waiting forever. Get one now, enjoy it. If new ones come out, sell it or trade for new one. Easy.

6. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i was hoping for a new display on the iPhone 3G :p

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

At this point Apple is likely waiting for LED backlit panels and based on what Samsung is charging for theirs, it would double the price of each model of ACD if they put them in now. And considering how folks carp about the current prices, doubling them would not be well-received. :p

So by waiting until those panel prices come down (likely over the next 12 months), they can bring them out at current price points.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I personally love the current displays. They look sleek and the colour is absolutely stunning (and that's on a 2005 model).

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I agree. It's absolutely pathetic how they're selling us 2 year old, EXTREMELY over priced displays. Some people say the Mac Mini is a rip off, yet it costs as much as the 20" display...Some people say you can get the specs of a Mac Mini on a PC for about $400. A 20" display can be found by Samsung for $200...

..I don't know it Apple is just "thinking different", but they need to update their displays!

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you don't have to buy or use apple's display. they are what they are. updates may or may not be soon, but they're usually the last and least often updated item that apple has. so its no surprise that they haven't been changed for quite some time.

11. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

I think that Apple has just placed way too much focus on new developments such as OSX, Macbook Air, iPhone, etc. The thing though, is that their focus is on "new development" and not ""developing their new product to the fullest.
    Seriously, all this new development is SO rushed, it seems as if most of their products are barely complete before hitting the stores - and new, equally incomplete, updates/upgrades follow.
    They should place more focus on their current line, such as the MacMini, or the cinema displays.
    Anyway, i agree that the Mac Mini sucks and should be upgraded. So should the Displays.

12. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

yeah, rumors have been going for a WHILE now about a new version of the displays.

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Apple Cinema Displays are not too far off other displays that use S-IPS/H-IPS panels and high-quality backlights and such.

If you don't need maximum color reproduction accuracy, S-PVA panels will save you some serious coin and still work very well for most tasks. I just bought a Dell 2408FPW (S-PVA) on sale for $500. But if I did need color reproduction accuracy, I'd have ante'd up for a 23" ACD or an S-IPS/H-IPS NEC or such.

14. czardonic macrumors member

Isn't it odd that there's virtually no mention of CRT displays over the last three years or so?

Talk about conspiracies!

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

They will update them eventually, but these aren't exactly at the top of Apple's list of top-sellers amongst their products. Sure, they will be updated eventually, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a quiet update of them by new-years. Some things that I would probably expect is maybe the option for a built in iSight camera (as they have discontinued the external iSight sales a while ago), LED backlight, HDCP as richthomas has discussed, which if that is one of the main things they are waiting for, then it will probably come at the same time as Blue-Ray options in MacPro's/MacBook Pro's. I also would probably expect a new design to the displays, thinner maybe, if that is even possible right now, as the length since a redesign has been so long, it might almost be necessary to make up for lost time.

16. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

And if you don't truly understand what CWallace just said, than take you Apple monitor whining someplace else :rolleyes:

As to the original poster, I wish they would release new ones too. But since I know Apple only makes high grade monitors for the professional fields, I live in a pipe dream. I don't need a high grade monitor, I just need screen space, so I go with other brands like Dell.

17. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

word

:apple:
    As to the original poster, I wish they would release new ones too. But since I know Apple only makes high grade monitors for the professional fields, I live in a pipe dream. I don't need a high grade monitor, I just need screen space, so I go with other brands like Dell.[/QUOTE]

ditto :apple:

18. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

The 23" ACD is actually the third top selling item on the Apple.ca store. Guess people are still buying them?

19. czardonic macrumors member

So, nobody apparently remembers just how sweet the final generation CRT monitors were. Oops, forgot for a moment they're called "displays" now.

Well, back the topic --
    These had superb resolution, typically 1600 dotsÅ~1200 lines @ 104 Hz, and able to run at 2048 dotsÅ~1536 lines @ 80 Hz, for exacting work. In fact, they typically gave a perfectly clear image at ANY resolution.
    Their color was superb, out of the box. There was no such thing as “lag time”.
    They lasted for years and years, with very little deterioration in picture quality — not disposable, as are today’s LCDs.

In fact, I’m still using the 19” Sony Multiscan400PS, which I bought nearly ten years ago, quitsatisfactorilyly for graphics work. Too small, you say? Not so, as I can use it comfortably at a distance of about 20” from my eyes. No harsh glaring light, just a very mellow, very constant picture. At the moment, for writing and web browsing, it’s set to 1280 x 960 at 85 Hz, quite adequate the purpose. In a few minutes, it’ll be set to 1600 x 1200, just right for some illustration work with my 12 x 18 Wacom pad.

Why do you really suppose CRtechnologygy was abandoned in favor of LCDs?
    I would guess the reason to be primarily profit margin, and not a better experience for the user. Some might suggest greater size. Hooey, sez I — I can see as much real estate, iequivalentnt resolution on this measly 19” screen as one can see on the typical “graphics quality” 24” or 30” LCD display — remember, this can be placed much closer, without burning my eyes out.

WE SHOULD DEMAND, WE SHOULD PETITION, WE SHOULD MARCH IN THE STREETS, FOR THE RETURN OF THE CRT! FREE THE CRT!!! DEMAND YOUR RIGHT TO BETTER VISION!

Whew, I feel better with that off my chest.

— parting words:

Someone just said he was considering the DoubleSight DS-263N Black 26", and always worried about what to do when my CRTs finally give up the ghost, I went to newegg and checked it out. While most folks found it wondrously stunning, one sober customer responded thusly:

“ Pros: Price and size
    Cons: I ordered this monitor hoping to replace one of my Sony CRT (24"") monitors. After reading all the positive reviews I knew I was going to get the best professional monitor at the best price. However after trying to use this monitor for about 2 weeks, I have decided to sell it for the following reasons. 1) Color! You just can't not use this monitor for any serious color work. This monitor will make everything Ultra-Super Saturated. You can turn it down but the TEXT mode (which is the best mode without banding effect) doesn't support desaturating. And even sRGB mode looks super ultra super saturated.
    Other Thoughts: 2) Motion Ghosting, this monitor has probably the worst ghosting I have seen so far. Yes the lack of input lag was pretty ok but the ghosting makes it unusable for any professional motion related work (such as motion graphics or 2d 3d animation) I tried to like this monitor so much but I just could not use it because of its ghosting. When you do animation work, you can't judge where to apply motion-blur because everything looks motion-blurred. You may think One star is not fair but I think this monitor can not be used for any professional work for the things I mentioned above. I hope to like this monitor so much I am still trying now... but the more I use it, two thing I mentioned above bothers me so much I think I would give it to my wife for browsing the web.”

20. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Ahem, this "sober" customer you speak of 1) doesn't understand what a wide gamut monitor is, and 2) obviously comes straight from a CRT, as all LCDs ghost to some extent.

The DoubleSight uses the same exact panel as found in the high end NEC 2690 display (which I previously owned but returned due to a buzzing inverter). It actually has lower input lag than the NEC. It exhibits no more ghosting than any other LCD.

I wouldn't base my purchasing decisions on Newegg reviews, but that's me.

21. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Good post, but there is one major benefit of LCDs and other similar formatted displays that CRTs don't have. That benefit is the gift of size, LCDs are mainly so popular for their low-footprint, and most can be confined to taking up only 5 inches of desk space, while CRTs can take up the entirety of some average sized desks. When comparing an average CRT to any standard LCD, most people including myself would have to agree that CRTs are somewhat better in color quality, that is the one main feature that I miss from my old CRT. Although this is the case with standard LCDs, with many higher end ones, they provide equal if not better quality of image. But I would rank Apple's at the higher end of the LCD ranking. Apple has done an excellent job with their current cinema displays, and the price reflects that. The main issue when comparing the two is that in today's computing society, many people would value the extra desk space much more valuable than somewhat better colors, and this has proven to be the case.

22. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I'm waiting

No matter what I'm waiting, I have a 17-Inch temporary until Apple does decides to update them, I'm not in a rush to get one right now, I want a 30-inch Cinema Display but the current one's been out for almost 4 years, and If I buy the 30-inch now and the new one's comes out believe me it's going to be harder to sell your old one to get the new Cinema Displays because everybody will want the new Cinema Display not the old one that been out for almost 4 years, Apple is going to update them sooner than later, the question is when? just fine something that will get you by until Apple brings out New cinema displays that's is what I'm doing, I already have my money ready for the 30-inch just waiting for the right time to buy it and right now is not the time in my opinion.

I was trying to find a Product Enhancement for the Cinema Display in the Apple FeedBack page but thay don't have a feedback for the Cinema Display, So what I did is went to the Mac Pro feed back and put when are New Apple Cinema Displays coming out but I doubt their not going to take it seriously but it's a start, maybe Apple may listen.

23. lmps56 macrumors member

no no, never

See...to me this case is closed.
    I doubt there is ever going to be a new update ever again.
    Those things are 4 years old!!
    Apple just figured its just not worth it updating their display series anymore since they wont get like any market-share. And just because some hundred maybe some thousand hardcore apple freaks want a pretty monitor sitting on their stylish desks Apple wont spend millions of dollars.
    Its just a company trying to make as much profit as possible.
    Ive lost my faith:(