Will there really be a hardware update for the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Twisted T, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Twisted T macrumors member

Hi,

What are people's thoughts on wether there will be a hardware update for the iPhone or not at Macworld?

Do Apple really want to p@*s off all of there new customers who have recently bought an iPhone and are now tied into long contracts?

I'd like to go out and buy one today, but with Macworld just around the corner, would this be a bad idea?:confused:

Cheers,

TT

2. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

What I think

Well, first of all, you should consider a couple of things. Like, the 3G was available for the first iPhone, but wasn't put in cause of energy savings. Or, the fact that there was only put in a 2 MP camera into the phone. And the fact that they introduced the iTouch, meanse there is a market for people who want more memory. Which probably means, considering these things that the possibility of a hardware upgrade is pretty big. However, these things are gonna cost the consumer.
    My prediction(/hopes :rolleyes:) so far are; 3,2 MP camera | Full Bluetooth support (A2DP, possibly for a GPS antenna too) | 16, maybe even 24 or 32 GB | video camera (real recording, not whats offered now on Installer/the internet) support | TV out, line in audio |

And the price; I say, depending the package (maybe with/ without (external/internal) GPS antenna)... at least 550$

But, these are predictions based on what I think Apple will fill in as for what they think the public wants. Still, my market research is pretty low end, keeping it to; "Geez, why won't I/ my dad/my brother buy an iPhone"

In a few days (15th of Jan. Right?) we'll find out. But I do think they won't leave an update (or iPhone 2 or iPhone 1 with Mem update) out, because of way to much stockeffects if not. But my answer to your question; don't buy it yet, if new specs are available you might want to buy those, or, prices go down... same goes for me

Please, its their :)

3. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I personally don't think we'll see much in the way of an actual hardware upgrade at Macworld. Remember when Steve introduced the iPhone at last years Macworld, he started it all off by talking about how the problem with all other Smart Phones is that the companies end up needing to release new HARDWARE just to add new features, and what makes the iPhone so different and special is that they can add new features through software only...

I think we may see an upgrade to memory to a 16GB version, and possibly some new software/apps for it. I don't know what that could be...But I don't think we'll see much in the way of new hardware for quite a while.

PS...I'm also getting an iPhone, but I too, am waiting until after Macworld...It's just too close. Any fan of Apple knows that it's a major gamble getting something new from them two weeks before Macworld.

4. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Might be

Yeah I do remember, but wasn't he talking about the layout? Like the keyboard that was changed, and new buttons and stuff. That concept will be kept, why change a winning team? The upgrades I talked about didn't affect (mostly) the software part. True, A2DP and video recording might be those, line in is already available I believe (3rd party ofcourse :rolleyes:). But a 3.2 MP camera and GPS are just not replaceable by software. It needs that hardware to let the software function. Steve talked about little things that were added which resulted into entierly new phone layouts which were/are according to him (and me too) useless.

Also, even if he doesn't want to keep this concept of this "never changing phone," you have to consider; its more than a phone. Its a camera and more importantly an iPod too. And the last time I checked the average lifespan of an iPod is between 7-12 months. Which means, taking FCC approval into the equation, that like last year June a new iPhone might be introduced this years June, and like last year, be introduced in January.

Not saying you're wrong, but I still give it a good chance there might be a hardware revision... we'll see

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

go buy your iPhone and enjoy it. Any hardware update requires FCC approval and there would have been a leak about it if it were happening. The iPhone is the hottest cell phone so there is no reason to change it. Remember that even though they announced it last jan that it has only been on sale for 6 months.

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

And it's it's which is a contraction for it is
    ;)

7. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

As much as I'd also like to see a stronger camera in the iPhone, I don't think we will. Is there anyone waiting to buy an iPhone UNTIL it gets a better camera? We all kind of know that cameras on cell phones are little more than toys. They've in my opinion been for taking fun little pictures that you'll never really do anything with. Unless you're talking about a dedicated phone AND camera like some phones are. But that's not the iPhone, the iPhone is an amazing device that does the best phone, internet and email in your pocket... oh yeah and it's got a little fun camera...And I think that's all it will ever have as far a camera is concerned....

But don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a better camera that records video! That'd be awesome! I just don't think that we will. Just my two cents.

8. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

9. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Memory upgrade is all I'm worried about...

I just got an 8GB version for xmas, and the only concern I have is that they may introduce an update the doesn't change any hardware but includes 16GB of storage at the same price point. I think this could be done without new FCC approval since increasing storage doesn't affect any of the radio emissions of the device.

We may see an announcement of a real "new" iPhone, if indeed there is one awaiting approval for 3G or other changes. It would probably be released next summer. But I am a bit worried that they'll match the iPod in storage without a pricing change and I will have to try to find some way to return the one I have. 8 is great, but 16 would be fantastic.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

True, adding memory doesn't affect the radio, but I've seen several posts saying that ANY hardware change requires approval. Anyone know for sure?

There are also several posts saying that the iphone only has 1 memory slot available since the radio takes up the other slot. Therefore, upping the memory would require a 16gb module, which may be cost prohibitive.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Doubt it

Unless some very impressive battery life solutions came out, that we all missed

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Will they be selling these new iPhones the day of Macworld?

No.

Buy now. I bought on this first day, and plan on upgrading when the 2nd gen comes out.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If the manufacturer thinks adding memory won't change the emissions, then I don't believe they have to submit a retest. Most of it is on the honor system.

Also, consider all the phones with memory and other slots, where the user can add what they want.

If by "slot" you mean "area", then yes the problem is space.

But last year Samsung announced a 16GB part that fits in the same space as an 8GB, so it would not be surprising if a 16GB phone was announced very soon.

14. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Replies and replies :)

First off all, good research, but hereby the answer; nothing has so be "re-FCCed" so to say, if only the amount of memory has been changed. Thats why for instance the Nokia N95 8GB didn't need re-approval.

Second, indeed, the iPhone only has 1 memory slot, but, like I posted in some other threads before, 16/32 and even 64 GB single slot memory was already available when the iPhone was developed. Sure, they were expensive as hell, but they were there. These chips have been getting cheaper faster than you can say "bang for the buck." So 16GB doesn't have to mean a raise in production costs, or minimal ones, resulting in a smaller chance, that the price of an iPhone is going to be higher than about 399$ (depending on Apple ofcourse, they might think, well, how about a little more profit :)).
    The new iPhones won't indeed be sold at MacWorld, but might get introduced. And FCC approval is at least 12 weeks before release. It took a little longer with the first iPhone (ok, 20 weeks :p), but that was caused by some "copyright problems" so to say. iPhone was already registered. So FCC said, well, try again later.

Again, based on my opinion and a couple of straight facts :)

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

All he meant was that it's easier to change the labels and layout of on-screen buttons than real ones. (But at least other phones display on-screen labels for their function keys. When Apple overloaded the Home button with multiple click functionality, there's no indication.)

Any smartphone can download a new UI or applications. But software updates don't help if you don't have the hardware to begin with.

It's ALWAYS better to start with maximum hardware and/or hardware expandability. Memory, battery slots are a Good Thing and prolong the useful life of your device. So of course do better radios (3G, GPS) and other neat hardware (good display, accelerometer, etc).

16. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

There is a possibility of an update in 8 days, I'd just wait.

A few iPhone specs can change without going through the FCC.
    1. Storage
    2. Camera
    3. Battery

However, the only likely candidate is the storage.

Also, Steve may introduce or hint at the next iPhone since again, he doesn't want the FCC leaking it. In which case you may want to wait - or not.

On the other hand, the FCC docs weren't published until after the iPhone was released anyway. I'm sure Apple can get the FCC to do their testing without releasing results until the device is out.

I think the iPhone announcement at last MacWorld had as much to do with the fact that iPhone was the main product of the year and that Steve wanted that extra 6 month window to advertise and keep people from renewing their non-AT&T contracts.

I don't know what to expect this MacWorld and that's half the fun.

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes, and for that reason, the next gen version will be released in the summer just like the first one.

I think it was early last month on engadget where they said that the iPhone 2 was 90% done (i think the ATT CEO)

People need to get over the fact that there is going to be a better model of our current iPhones sold right after macworld (ie, more storage space)

And i wouldn't wait 6 months or so now to get this new phone, so i would just buy now,because it is still the best phone and will be, until iPhone 2 comes out.

18. Puck. macrumors member

Puck.

I really think we'll see the current iPhone with 16 gb released now, or soon, and then the 3g version in the summer. I'm not so sure if we'll see an "iPhone Mini" of some sort, probably not until iPhone 2 is released or after.

Call it a hunch.

19. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Is that why we found out about the iPhone via the FCC before it was announced?

(sarcasm)

Plus FCC filings can be made and stay private for a while... For instance, when the iPhone was announced the FCC filings became public the same day or several days later (don't remember), but the iPhone had been submitted for filing far earlier than that.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Count on an iPhone hardware update eventually. SJ said that there would be a 3G iPhone by the end of this year. It's just like other electronics, they are updated almost yearly and does this upset people? No. You can't get upset just because there is a new model next year. Computers are updated yearly. Why not the iPhone? You have a choice to buy the latest and greatest. Just don't get upset when the latest is released. There are new model cell phones released every year as well.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, they can be kept under cover to some extent.

In this case, Apple didn't file with the FCC until March '07, a couple of months after the initial announcement.

As others have commented, it was all a PR stunt and a way to prime people to let their contracts go.

FCC Documents

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

If we can get 16gb, MMS messaging, and 3G, I'm there. Period.

23. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Agreed!

24. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

summer.

we'll probably get more too. this first iphone was basically a test unit for everyone. pretty sure Apple is going to listen to most of our requests with 3g, more space, better camera, SMS, GPS, etc.

25. Neo91 macrumors newbie

Neo91

wait until the 14th january, then decide! The only things that can come to the iPhone is GPRS and UMTS. Thats it. The Rest is Software!