Will there really be an IPad 3 this year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, May 28, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Will they seriously release an IPad 3 this year? Surely it would shorten the IPad 2's cycle?

Also if you upgraded from IPad 1 to 2 would you upgrade again? It cost me quite a bit to upgrade don't fancy another IPad until next year.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not likely in my opinion

I stayed with the iPad 1 and even bought a refurb for my GF after the 2 came out

I will wait for the 3 to upgrade, but I don't expect it this year

3. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Unless you get an email from Steve telling you otherwise, it's unlikely.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I don't care about updating my iPhone every year but I am sure I will get every iPad they release from now on. I am in love with this thing.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

iPad3 in 2011? No. You "may" be able to actually buy an iPad2 in most retail outlets by Christmas time this year.

6. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

I would be so pissed if it does lol. don't wanna sell the ipad 2 too quickly, and then I have to worry about getting my hands on a ipad 3 shortly after release so I would probably have to wait on line on release day. I am never ever purchasing from the apple store again, the wait is unbearable :(

7. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

This "rumor" is the stupidest thing i've ever heard. Why it gets any mileage at all says a lot about how gullible some folks are.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It had some fairly reputable backing intitally, back even before iPad2 was released, but it has since cooled down significantly

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

From a company as secretive as Apple who rarely tells it's own employees about future products (unless your on that team), you are asking us, people on this formum who have no insider information if we know for a fact if Apple will seriously release or not release another iPad this year.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I can't see an iPad3 this year.

Sure, they may fall behind technically when/if Tegra 3 Android tablets launch, but by that time it will probably only be 4 or 5 months till the official iPad3 launches, and catches back up from a specs point of view, so I can't really see that being a major issue for Apple as they will easily be able to ride that time period out based on their brand.

If Retina Displays launched on Android this autumn then it may be a harsh few months, but I'd think it's still optimistic to see the screens in the Labs actually into retail products at reasonable prices even by late this year.

Who knows, even iPad3 may not have a retina display, or perhaps there will be two iPad3 models, one with the normal screen and a more expensive model with the retina screen. We shall have to wait and see.

I could imagine Apple making the odd technical tweak (like changing panel suppliers) but it will still be called and iPad2 I'd think.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

No - not on the so far "established" Apple Schedule...

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Steve said this year is the year of the ipad2

13. sineplex macrumors 6502

Of course. It's coming out tommorow.

14. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Actually I wish Apple will just focus on improving iOS dramatically and upgrading iPhone, which hardware wise, is not keeping up with other handsets.

iPad 2 has a commanding market share with few serious competitors. Apple can afford to hold off on another iPad version.

15. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I don't see this happening. I think Apple will be happy if by the end of the year they will be selling the iPad 2 in all their target countries. Hell, even some countries are just now getting the iPhone 4, almost a year after release.

16. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

No, it won't happen this year. Spring 2012. IPad2 is selling too well to push the 3 out the door early.

17. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think many think Apple already have better lined up..we know they can put better cameras in phones and Retina but many know it would be too expensive to put a retina in Ipad 2 without it being too expensive. Plus there's reports Ipad 3 is already in development but realistically surely early next year is when it will come? Ipad 2 is selling well.

18. Smoothness macrumors regular

I thought he said it was the year of the iPad...no 2

19. Phil-82 macrumors member

Yeah he said this. I hope it doesn't come out this year cause I just got mine this week. Like some other poster said, no one has a confirmed answer

20. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

21. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

We can always hope! :D
    At the same time significantly increase the production volumes. As now more than two months after the iPad 2 release there are none (not a single one) to be picked up in any stores around here, and they all blame Apple for not delivering their orders.

22. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (device; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

With the way iPads are flying off shelves right now, there's no need to release a newer version. This could possibly change if some decent android tablets are released this year. But at this point in time, it's seemingly unlikely.

23. megsandbytes macrumors member

Based on all the rumors it seems quite possible the iPad 3 will be out sometime before 2012

24. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

The best reason I've read for them to release one before the end of the year is because of the holiday shopping. If they move the refresh to February every year, I would have to assume that a lot of people would hold out and just wait a month or two instead of buying one during the holidays.
    Whether or not they do that this year remains to be seen but I would put money on them shifting away from February refreshes at some point.