Will this Corsair RAM work on new Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DyManic, Aug 1, 2011.

1. DyManic macrumors member

2. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

The spec is correct but I have read elsewhere that some people have had a few problems like freezing etc with this ram.

Personally, I have gone for Crucial ram (direct from their site) as they guarantee compatability and I've used Crucial ram in my 2010 MBP with no problems at all. It's about £8 more direct from Crucial. Hopefully it will arrive before the end of the week.

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Yes, it works. But, pay attention to the cautions given in the previous post.

4. DyManic thread starter macrumors member

5. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

Yeah, I saw that too but wasn't too keen on putting 'value' ram in my nice expensive Mac :)

6. DyManic thread starter macrumors member

I am more worried about the company selling it - never heard of them and the site doesn't look the most professional.

Think I will order the crucial.

I wonder how much I would get for the 4GB (2x2GB) that came pre-installed in the mini.

7. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

Not much would be my guess..... Especially when 8Gb is so cheap :)

Personally, I like to hang on to the original ram just in case my kit has to go back to Apple for repair etc.... Keep it to it's original spec...

8. DyManic thread starter macrumors member

You make a very good point. I suppose if Apple were to replace the unit they would give you one with the original amount of RAM in?

9. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

I wouldn't want to risk it. I've heard reports of SSD drives disappearing when Macbook Pro's are in for repair etc :eek:

10. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

11. JimDut macrumors member

I have to admit, I haven't spent all that much time looking round for the best price, however, as you say, I also read it was some of the best to get, so don't mind paying a little more :)

12. Pharra macrumors newbie

13. Minicube macrumors regular

The reviews on Amazon seem to indicate it works in Macbook Pros...

14. indg macrumors 6502

works fine in mini server. i bought mine on amazon 8GB for $44 USD after $10 rebate.

15. biscuit141 macrumors newbie

I have had this in my 2.3 Mini since Friday at noon and haven't had any issues. I even ran Rmber (sp?) and the memory checked out fine. I think some people must have had a bad stick or two. The specs are all correct and I don't believe Corsair is a cheap or off-brand memory company.

16. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Bought 4GBx2 kit from Amazon. Had a nasty freeze (complete freeze) on 2011 base mini. I had similar experience on the 2010 model with Corsair 4gbx2 kit. Kensington one worked well for 2010 model.

This time, I'm returning the Corsair and getting OWC kit.

17. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You mean Kingston? Btw, the compatibility of Kingston RAM has nothing to do with the 2010 model. Kingston supplies RAM for all Macs. You should just not buy the Kingston Value RAM, because no-one has tested this RAM with Macs.

I really do not know, where the uncertainty comes from. Apple supplies the user guides with each Mac. They contain the exact RAM specification. Kingston and other manufacturers, like Crucial have Apple-specific RAM search engines on their websites (see below).

Attached Files:

18. coolio2004 macrumors newbie

I got my mini 2.7 i7 today and put a pair of value selected Corsair 2x4 inside and have no problems..Perhaps its better to buy a pair of two. I never had issues with corsair in my notebooks.

19. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Sorry I meant Kingston. :p

Anyways, I do not have any certainly in Kingston RAM, but uncertainly is on the Corsair modules, at least to me. It's just a fact that I had two sets of Cosair 8GB kits for 2010 mini (original order, replacement) and a set for 2011 mini that gave me kernel panic and full-freeze. One Kingston set didn't give me any problem on 2010 mini, and I'll see how the OWC one will go on the 2011 mini.

So at this point, I won't buy another Corsair for my future Macs. I know tons of people had no problems, but I'd choose other brands over this particular brand based on my personal experience.

20. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

Well my 8Gb Crucial kit has arrived and so far no problems with it at all.

Actually, it has made quite a difference to Lion. It now runs incredibly smooth. I didnt notice such a difference when I upped the memory in my 2010 MBP to 8Gb (Snow Leopard) :)

21. mrklaw macrumors 65816

do all minis ship with two sticks of ram? I have a base mini with 2GB - will that be 1x2GB stick or 2x1GB sticks? Want to upgrade the ram, probably just to 4GB (just plex and maybe handbrake), so want to know whether I need another 2GB stick or 2x2GB sticks.

22. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

All Mac Minis ship with two identical sticks of memory in them. This allows for dual channel ram support. You can confirm whats in yours by 'About This Mac' , 'More Info' etc....

So you will need to replace your two 1Gb sticks with two 2Gb sticks. Personally I would go to 8Gb while you're at it. Its very cheap at the moment ;)

23. DyManic thread starter macrumors member

My brother got me some Kingston in the end from work for £39 for 8GB - its the ones recommended on the Kingston site for the 2011 Mac Mini so should work perfectly.

Model KTA-MB1333/4G

Will find out when he brings them over tonight.

24. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost