Will this hard drive work in MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KWoolley116, Apr 6, 2009.

1. KWoolley116 macrumors newbie

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You probably should try and get the model w/o the sensor. On some MBP models, there can be a conflict between the built-in Sudden Motion Sensor and the hard drive's (kernal panic). In that case, the built-in SMS needs to be disabled.

The ST9500420AS version is the one you would want. Newegg has them for $139.99, as a for instance.

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Good luck getting one at Newegg. They're out of stock, and have been for at least a month. Maybe you should consider this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314

and save yourself $40. Read the customer reviews at Newegg for all the 500gig drives they offer. This one gets the best overall ratings. I got one, and it's a great drive for a MBP.

Some people are finding the Seagate 500gig 7200 Momentus at the Dell online store if you really need the 7200 rpm, but let me just say that the WD500gig 5400 is a lot faster than most 5400rpm drives in performance. The difference between the two drives may not be worth the nearly 40% increase in price, plus the difficulty in finding the Seagate anywhere.

Anyway, good luck whatever you do.

4. KWoolley116 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm going to go with the WD 500gb, quick question however...

Right now my MBP has the 200gb 7200rpm hd from mac, do you think the speed difference will be a significant problem when running solid works, PS, or the like?

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the 5400rpm WD drive seems to be on par with the 7200's when it comes to speed. so i dont think that you will see a slow down.

and what is the deal with the sensor issue ppl are having? do you guys think that it is better to get the one with or without the sensor regardless of brand of brand.

6. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

From everything I've read... avoid the built-in free-fall sensors on hard drives, because it's already enabled in the Macbooks and Macbook Pros. They could wind up with conflicts, and could cause some performance problems, so look for the models without this feature. WD offers their Scorpio Black series (7200rpm) laptop drives with and without free-fall sensor, while the Scorpio Blue series (5400rpm) is only offered without this feature. I'm not sure about Seagate or any of the other brands, but I'm sure their websites would be informative...

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ok thanks for clearing that up for me. im going to give western digital a try again. i heard really great things about the Scorpio Black. pick up the 320GB tomorrow without the sensor.